“The Best B@B in Gettysburg with a great location”
Review of Brafferton Inn

Brafferton Inn
Ranked #5 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Mt Clemens
“The Best B@B in Gettysburg with a great location”
Reviewed 29 August 2007

This is the 2nd time we have visited Gettysburg. This, however, is the first time that we stayed at the Brafferton Inn. My husband and I wish we had stayed at the Brafferton the first time as well. We found it much nicer then the other B@B we stayed at. It is in a great location within walking distence to dining and shopping, and other Gettytsburg activiies. Lots to see and do here.
We found the hosts, Joan and Brian, very helpful in every way. The room was clean and comfortable. The breckfasts were to die for. Gourmet to say the least!!! And the afternoon chocolate chip cookies were the best. We plan to visit again next year and will not stay anywhere else. Our advice, stay here, you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — Historical area and the B@B fits right in
  • Disliked — nothing--loved it
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Plainsboro, NJ
Reviewed 29 August 2007

I am a Civil War enthusiast and have many trips to Gettysburg over the years, and have stayed at most of the hotels and B&Bs, but none of them measure up to the Brafferton Inn. In addition to being ideally located (just steps from Lincoln Square) this inn is a marvelously cozy place to stay. It starts with the owners, who greet you warmly when you arrive and attend to your every need, to the wonderful breakfasts to the well-kept rooms). I have been there half a dozen times now and have stayed in a different room each time, and was pleased with all of them. When the weather is nice they have a lovely back deck to enjoy, and when the weather is not nice their living room is quite cozy. I can't recommend the Brafferton Inn enough.

• Liked — Great service
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
Point of Rocks, Maryland
Reviewed 22 August 2007

After reading many positive reviews, my husband and I stayed at the Brafferton for his birthday.
We were extremely disappointed with our room. The furniture was dusty. The alarm clock had such a thick layer of dust that we had to laugh and cringe all at once. Also, we requested the North Suite for the whirlpool tub and were unable to use it because it was dirty with visible hair from the previous occupant.
On a good note, the owners were friendly, gracious and willing to aid us on questions we had in touring about town, where to dine, ect...
I am not overly particular about the cleanliness of my hotel room, but expect it to be moderately clean so I may feel comfortable in my surroundings. I did not find this at the Brafferton.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank blackcat01
Reviewed 8 August 2007

The Brafferton Inn was a wonderful experience for my husband and I during our 3-day stay there. The owners were very helpful with touring & restaurant information, and the Inn was very quiet, clean and comfortable. The parlor area was a cool respite from the tremendously humid weather we were unfortunate enough to be experiencing during our stay there. The rooms were absolutely charming! We stayed in the main house in the Hoke Room with an attached full bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and had extremely high quality sheets that kept us cool and comfortable throughout the night. The only negative was the window air conditioner was very loud during the night, but with all the other "positives", I can live with that, especially since that wouldn't be a problem during cooler weather! I can't say enough about the wonderful gourmet breakfasts, which included some of the best baked goods that I had ever tasted! Looked forward to breakfast every day! We had our pick of 3 serving times, which suited our schedule just fine! Great service, nice clean rooms, attractive large private garden area out back to relax in after a hard-day of walking the battlefields. Great location only 1/2 block off of Lincoln Square. Parking not exactly on-site, but very nearby and very convenient. Would highly recommend this Inn for anyone, but especially for couples in their 30's and up.

• Liked — The breakfasts were outstanding!
  • Disliked — The loud air conditioner in the bedroom.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Minnies_mom
Reviewed 17 July 2007

This B&B is amazing!
I have never stayed at a B&B before and I feel that The Brafferton now holds other B&B's to the highest of standards.

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Brafferton for 5 nights - July 2nd through July 6th... it was our 10 year anniversary. He is 31 and I am 28 years old. He is 6'1 with an athletic build and I am 5'7" and a woman of size. (I am writing this for a reason)

Upon arrival the owner greeted me as if I had been a regular... check in was simple and included a tour of the house with it's great history. The gardens were absolutely beautiful and the house very well appointed. Once we got to our room, I was shocked... (now mind you, we stayed in "The Brafferton Suite" so it was the best room in the B&B)... there was a fridge and microwave, king-size bed with a fireplace, sitting room, tv on a swivel stand so you can watch from the bedroom or the sitting room, a HUGE bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub, separate shower and then a cute deck (no view but great for a smoke or cigar).

After the tour, the owner had given us our breakfast hour choices and then told us all the restaurants that we had chosen, she had made reservations for (How nice is that!) So, basically we were set for our trip... and BTW- the restaurants they recommended, we just went with their suggestions since we have never been to Gettysburg before ---- All the restaurants were GREAT and the variety was just right :-)

The breakfast... WOW! Where do I start... every morning there was something different (they also accommodate allergies and personal reasons i.e. vegetarian)... there are 3 courses which will fill you for your day ahead... something with fresh fruit for the 1st course, a homemade pastry for the 2nd course and then a third course of a heartier type, i.e. french toast with a sweet cream sauce, quiche with feta & eggs and side of sausage, Egg casserole with homemade seasoned potatoes) and the coffee was plentiful and perfect on top of it all!

They also recommended some tours to take... the Shriver house ($6.50 pp/ 30 mins - a great house with a personal look into the lives of the people that lived in Gettysburg and what they had to go through... make sure to ask to see the pictures taken in the attic with the Luminal to see the blood spatter) and the personal tour of the Battlefield ($45.00 / 2+ hours worth every penny - the park guide gets in your car, drives you around the 6,000+ acre battlefield and personalizes the tour for you as you need it... need more military details or just following your personal family history... they are incredibly knowledgeable).

So lastly... location location location... The Brafferton is 1 block from the center of town... you are literally in walking distance to the shops and dining.

So here is some technical info... There are stairs, so it's not handicap friendly. Ceiling is low in one area so watch your head. Bed is sturdy and they have size friendly seating all through the house... I have a bad knee but the Suite is only up one flight and the parking is close to the house. Some stairs are uneven (but that's the way it is all over Gettysburg) so watch your step where-ever you go and hold on to the railings... Some restaurants seats are old and look like they will break beneath you but just be sure to ask the hostess for a size friendly chair... they have them at every restaurant as long as you ask they will provide it... and most of the time it is there before you sit down so there is no embarrassing moments.... some of the tours in the houses also have low ceilings so if you are taller then 5'10" be sure to watch your head... The weather here in PA is mild so walking around is very pleasant, but there is also lots of on street parking even during peak season (like the battle re-enactments) but we were always able to find a spot within a 1 one block radius... the blocks are actually short so an 8 block walk would be like a 6 block walk in a city... so like I said, almost everything is in walking distance but be sure to check out the surrounding towns for dining.

So I guess that's it... I was hoping to make this short but I guess I had more to say then I first thought.... The Brafferton made our trip to Gettysburg just one more reason to come back again... I wouldn't stay at another place... The owners, charm, room and breakfasts made everything just right for a 10 year anniversary trip... THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

• Liked — Owners & Staff
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pina_col
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed 25 June 2007

Stayed mid-June 2007 for a business conference, 1 night. The conference was at the Gettysburg Hotel, a few doors down.

I'm glad I stayed at the Bafferton. It was my first time at a B&B, so I thought "why not"?

The hotel is easy to find, right in center of town. Great locatio for exploring downtown Gettysburg. Hotel history (oldest home in downtown, apparently) was interesting, and some features (like the entry lock) were still from the original.

I was most impressed by the personal attention by the B&B upon check-in. The owner ran out and put in a quarter in the parking meter outside for me when he found out I did not have change. Also, provided a personal tour of the house, with some historical notes.

Room was comfortable, with antique furnishings. Room was clean, and it had both a sitting room and a bedroom (and an outdoor deck, as it was the "deck suite"). Cost seemed reasonable to me ($155 or so/nt). Breakfast was very nice, especially the muffin that was served...I need to get that recipe.

Wireless internet is available in the lobby/living room downstairs, but did not make it up to my room. The loaned me with a cd driving tour of Gettysburg battlefield for free.

I don't have a comparison to other B&B's, but it was a nice change of pace from the standard business hotel fare. It was a place I would definitely take my wife to, if we returned to Gettysburg.

• Liked — personal service, location
  • Disliked — Internet access in room (lack thereof)
  • Stayed June 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Goblu
Reviewed 21 May 2007

This is a wonderful Bed and Breakfast! The owners, Brian, AmyBeth and Joan are as good as they get. I travel to Gettysburg several times a year and have stayed in nearly every B&B in Gettysburg, but this is my favorite. In fact, since the first time that I stayed at the Brafferton, approx. 1 1/2 years ago, I haven't stayed anywhere else in Gettysburg. I also travel to Harrisburg, PA, regularly for business, and I still stay at the Brafferton and make the 45 min. drive to Harrisburg from Gettysburg.

As I said, the owners are the best. They really make you feel welcome. The accomodations are lovely, as well as, very clean. Oh, and breakfast, make sure you go to breakfast hungry. The food is delicious and filling. They also make arrangements for those with special dietary needs, and in my case, when I need to leave prior to breakfast to make a meeting in Harrisburg, they also pack a "breakfast to go" bag.

Seriously, traveling anywhere near Gettysburg, this is the place to stay even if it means going out of your way. You won't regret it.

• Liked — The owners/staff.
  • Disliked — Parking, it doesn't have private parking. Public parking is quite close and convenient and reasonable. Even without private parking accomodations, I still stay here several times a year.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled solo