“Exceeded our expectations”

Brickhouse Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My wife and I have never been to Gettysburg, however we've stayed at many b&b's in the last 30 years. We can honestly say our visit to the Brickstone Inn is one of the best experiences ever. We were warmly welcomed by Brian, and a short while later met Tessa as well. They are two of the nicest innkeepers around and very accommodating in every way. Our room was well-appointed and spotlessly clean.We slept great, and were treated both mornings to a delicious breakfast, served on the patio out back. The landscaping in their yard was beautiful all around. The Inn is quite conveniently situated just a short drive away from the Gettysburg Visitor's Center, and there are dozens of shops and restaurants within easy walking distance. We were very pleased with our stay, and are looking forward to a return visit!

Room Tip: Our room was facing the front of the Inn, which looks out onto Baltimore St. The intersection near t...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David S
raasay, Manager at Brickhouse Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Thank you so much for the lovely review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do enjoy a lovely little spot in Gettysburg that is very convenient to all the attractions. The gardens are certainly one of our favorite places to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet. Thank you so much for the compliments on breakfast and your room. We hope we'll see you back again soon! Best Wishes~ Amy

Reviewed 7 August 2014

very gracious, helpful, and extremely eager to please.
the rooms were clean and cute with my own air conditioning and bathroom with shower even after deciding we wanted to stay an extra day, they put us up in another one of their properties that was absolutely incredible. they were more than accommodating and We will be back. breakfast outside on the patio nice people to eat breakfast with right in the heart of town close access to everything. thank you Brian and Tessa for a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Jimnsharo

Thank you so much for your sweet review. Brian and Tessa and all the staff here at the Brickhouse Inn really do enjoy what we do. We love our little historic town and it's a pleasure to introduce our guests to everything Gettysburg has to offer. We hope, by the time they leave that they love the area as much as we do. I'm so glad we were able to get you into one of the vacation rentals, we hate having to turn away friends who want to stay longer. I hope we'll see you again in the future! Best Wishes~ Amy

Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband, two daughters and I stayed here for three nights earlier this week. We booked the New England Suite, and I would recommend it to anyone traveling with older children (they don't take children under 10, though they made an exception for my younger daughter who turned 10 the day after we arrived).

The room was perfect, having one keyed entrance, but two very separate bedrooms (no one has to walk through the main bedroom to get to the bathroom or anything). The smaller bedroom had a TV, which is nice for the kids.

The room wasn't over done in flowers and lace, and was understated in it's decoration, but in a good way.

There was also a balcony off of the second bedroom which was a nice way to get some fresh air, or have a glass of wine.

Breakfast was great, and took place outside on their very beautiful patio. There was a pond and waterfall, very lush and beautiful landscaping and you had a table reserved for your family every morning. Perfect!

Keep in mind that you don't sit at a large table with other guests, like most B&Bs. Some people might miss the conversation and meeting new people, but I liked the way it was set up, as a change from the usual. Also, it's a bigger B&B, with many rooms, so don't expect to get a lot of personal attention from the owners, they are friendly and enjoy a good conversation, but there are a lot of people to split time between. This was just fine with us, however. They did all come out with a cupcake and a candle for my daughters birthday, and sang to her! It was unexpected, and lovely. They must have gone and bought her the cupcake special :)

I would recommend the Brickhouse Inn to anyone staying in Gettysburg. Location is great too!

Room Tip: New England Suite is perfect for families with children (over 10).
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Zofiava
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Since my husband is a Civil War buff, we have been to Gettysburg several times, but our stay at the Brickhouse Inn was our most pleasant experience. The Inn is quite charming, the owners were very warm and welcoming, and the service was outstanding. Breakfast was delicious and served on a lovely patio surrounded by a peaceful and beautiful backyard complete with its own pond. We stayed in the carriage house behind the main inn which was very private and quiet considering the inn is located on the main street. Our room was very comfortable and tastefully decorated. The inn itself is a very charming and relaxing place with a big front porch for taking a break from activities on one of its comfy rockers. The woodsy backyard is perfect for enjoying a late afternoon or early evening glass of wine as we spotted fellow guests doing both days of our stay. The owners, Tessa and Brian, make you feel right at home and overlooked no details in making our stay as pleasant as possible. The location was perfect. You can step out of the tranquil setting right into the middle of town and all the action, and yet it feels like a secret hide-away once you walk back through its gates. We will never stay anywhere else but the Brickhouse Inn when we return to Gettysburg!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cbrankley
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was our first stay at the Brickhouse Inn B&B but definitely will not be our last. Our experiences over a three day stay at the Inn were nothing less than wonderful. Even the word wonderful does not adequately express the complete and total relaxation/satisfaction we experienced while there. From check in to check out, the owners and staff make absolutely sure their guests are well taken care of and lack for nothing.

Our room was immaculately clean, tidy and wonderfully decorated. The gardens in the rear of the 1898 and Welty houses are a joy to be amongst during breakfast. Breakfast at the Inn is equally astounding and we were pleasantly surprised each morning with the fare we were served. Each morning our breakfast was served with mixed, fresh fruit followed by the main course (never the same thing and so much more than just eggs and/or pancakes) and if you can believe this, a choice of dessert afterward! My wife was overjoyed! The owners are on site and engage in conversation with as many guests as possible during the breakfast times (there are two, 8:15 and 915 am, one of which you will select upon check in).

We are regular visitors to Gettysburg and have stayed in a few of the other B&B's and hotels in the area. To date, all pale in comparison to the experiences we had during our stay at the Brickhouse Inn. Our room was located in the Victorian 1898 house and although the house is over 100 years old, it is in excellent condition and the furnishings and fittings are victorian where they can be and modern where they need to be. One could not ask for a better job between balance and functionality.

As an extra, we purchased the "Anniversary Package" and that did not disappoint either. Upon arrival we were presented with a gift card and dinner reservations at the Dobbin House Inn as I had requested during the initial booking. The inn keeper gave us a cursory tour of the building in which we were staying and a brief history of the area. Upon entering our room, we were greeted by a large bouquet of roses, a bottle of wine and two glasses, all tastefully arranged on a table therein.

In closing, for what you pay for a room in the Gettysburg area (any room), there is no better value for your money than what can be gotten at the Brickhouse Inn Bed & Breakfast. Book early as if you wait, you'll most likely miss out on this wonderful experience.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GH2008
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Having been to Gettysburg in the past and worried that we would find the same honky-tonk environment we were very pleased to find both the park and the Brickhouse B&B to be wonderful. Driving into town there is the fair share of t-shirt shops. When we found the Brickhouse on the main street we worried that it would be noisy. It is the most restful, beautiful Inn! The grounds are spectacular with lovely plantings and brick patios for the wonderful breakfasts or afternoon laziness. Our room was immaculate and comfortable. Tessa and Brian, the owners, are gifted at making everything run smoothly. My husband was thrilled that cakes and cookies are available in the dining room each afternoon. The Inn took care of securing a wonderful guide for our tour of the park. We highly unequivocally recommend the Brickhouse B&B!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kkovach

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and that you found everything to your liking. The garden is a great place to relax and who couldn't use a few cookies or a piece of cake in the afternoon. It is your vacation after all! I do hope you will stay with us again in the future! Best Wishes~ Amy

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Since this was my first time staying at a bed and breakfast, I really did not know what to expect when I arrived at the Brickhouse Inn with my family. My parents had been there several times before and said it was very close to the town square of Gettysburg and the National Cemetery and assured me it was a wonderful place to stay. Well, they were not lying! Upon arrival, we walked through the beautiful garden and patio which included a trickling waterfall and plenty of colorful varieties of flowers. This initial walk to the front door served as a reassurance that where I would be staying for the next few nights was a comfortable and relaxing home away from home.

We were greeted by a staff member of the Brickhouse Inn named Janice who was extremely friendly and helpful. There was an entire cake prepared when we arrived as well as cookies and plenty of drinks in the refrigerator, and Janice said I was welcome to any of them. Being a college student, this was a big deal!

My parents then introduced me to the owners, Brian and Tess, who were gracious hosts and very friendly people. They conversed with my parents for a while and then we headed up to our room, the North Carolina Suite. This is a great room for a family of four and it was extremely clean and orderly. The room has a private balcony that overlooks the patio and garden which we made great use of. It was great sitting out there listening to the birds and enjoying all the sights of that colorful garden. The room also includes a television with satellite, which had a great variety of channels. This was a nice way to relax before bed.

Breakfast the following morning was delicious! We were first served a yogurt parfait with fresh fruit that was a great way to start the morning. Next was french toast topped with orange marmalade which was absolutely delicious; I had never had marmalade before. While we were eating, a band called Rebel Union was playing soft folk music in the garden, and they sounded wonderful. It was a picturesque morning that wouldn't be out of place in a movie.

The rest of our stay was extremely memorable to me thanks to the lovely Brickhouse Inn and its accommodating staff. I could not be more pleased with my experience and hope to return the next time my family plans a trip to Gettysburg. With this being my first stay at a bed and breakfast, I now feel my expectations for any other inn will be too high to meet! I think anyone that likes visiting Gettysburg should stay here at least once. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Andr3wC93
raasay, Owner at Brickhouse Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thanks so much for your detailed and thoughtful review. It was great to meet your parents again, and to meet you and your sister for the first time - in fact to have you to stay as a family. We're so glad you liked the North Carolina Suite, and were able to enjoy the balcony porch - it's the best room in the Victorian house - we think. We're glad, too, that you all enjoyed the breakfasts and were able to eat outside on the patios. It was a bonus to have the musician family staying at the time and playing in the garden, and a pity your father couldn't join them with a proper instrument.
We hope you'll be able to come back again as a family. Thanks again for writing such a great review - one of the best we've ever had!
Best wishes to you all, from Brian and Tessa