“WOW!!! Most relaxing get-away we've every had!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Doubleday Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Doubleday Inn
Ranked #11 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Washington, DC
“WOW!!! Most relaxing get-away we've every had!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2007

Where to begin?!?! We live in DC and are always looking for interesting weekend trips to get out of the hectic pace of the city. We had been to Gettysburg once before and stayed in a B&B downtown...mistake! This small town is so busy, you've never seen so many tractor trailers on a two lane road in your life! But we love the history of the area so we decided to research some accommodations outside of the busy downtown district. We found pure perfection at the lovely Doubleday Inn!

I found the Inn through a B&B search engine and was intrigued by the "on the Battlefield" description...even the pictures on the Inn's website cannot convey how special the location is...you are surrounded by the Battlefield on all sides with the most amazing views...rolling hills and the town of Gettysburg off in the distance...monuments as far as the eye can see on the road leading up to the Inn. I downloaded over 100 pictures just of the Inn and surrounding grounds. Sunrise and sunset are breath-taking here, with the views spanning in all directions. It's also great having the Battlefield to yourself in the early morning hours, very peaceful!

Todd & Christine are your super friendly hosts at the Doubleday, they have done so much work to ensure that all your needs are taken care of from the moment you walk in the door. They have abundant maps and orientation materials available and give you all the "Insiders' Tips" to getting around town, parking, what to see, where to eat, etc. We loved that they allowed us to borrow a copy of the "Auto Tour" driving CD, it was nice to explore the fields at our own pace when we first began. Then they arranged a tour with their historian, a licensed battlefield guide, for the following morning...at $45 for a two hour tour you simply cannot miss this tour! Charlie is the best, we learned so much from our time with him. Make sure to request a tour with him when you make your reservation and Christine will line everything up for you.

Breakfast...just wonderful!!! I am not a fan of "gourmet" dining for breakfast...8 AM is not the time to ask my husband to try asparagus for the first time! Christine's breakfasts were hearty country foods, well prepared and abundantly portioned. Each day of our 4 day stay featured a different tasty main dish, along with beautifully presented fresh fruit, juices, teas, coffee and baked goods. Afternoons featured delicious homemade cookies and hot tea, a welcome treat after traipsing around town all afternoon. We always enjoyed our snack sitting on the covered side patio, the gardens are so beautiful and it was always cool out there with a slight breeze. We sat for hours just taking in the history and enjoying the peace & quiet.

The Doubleday's location is perfect, far enough from town to be very quiet, yet just a two minute drive to all the attractions. We spent the mornings exploring the Battlefield by foot and on car, and the afternoons checking out the many shops and museums downtown (our favorite museum is the Schriver House, don't miss this neat tour of a Civilian house during the Battle). We always looked forward to coming "home" to the Inn to freshen up and relax before dinner. This was always my favorite time of the day!

Todd made dinner reservations for us at the Cashtown Inn and the Fairfield Inn, both fantastic historical buildings with outstanding food. We would recommend both to anyone looking for an enjoyable fine dining experience.

All in all this was the most satisfying vacation we've had in a long time. It's so lucky for us that this wonderful destination is only a 90 minute drive away! We will definitely return frequently. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing weekend we highly recommend a stay at the Doubleday Inn. You will be rejuvenated by the time you check out and ready to face the world again!

• Liked — Peaceful and quiet location
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
13 Thank citygurl_07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Pine Grove, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2007

My husband and I have just returned from one of the most delightful vacations ever! Our children presented us with a visit to the Doubleday Inn as a Christmas Gift...they will have some difficulty topping this one. The Inn was even more beautiful than any photograph could portray. Christine and Todd, along with their Golden Retriever, Molly, were the perfect hosts-it's hard to believe that they have just celebrated their first year as keepers of the Inn. Our home away from home was tastefully decorated and immaculate. The wooded surroundings with it's stone walls, birdfeeders, sitting areas, and lovely gardens provided a peaceful respite from the busy tourist environment of downtown Gettysburg. The view from Oak Ridge is absolutely beautiful. A delicious breakfast was enhanced by candlelight and interesting conversation with other guests.
After an afternoon of touring we returned to find hot water with a large assortment of tea and a batch of fresh baked cookies for our enjoyment. The Thomas's graciously made dinner reservations for us at The Cashtown Inn. Jack & Maria, the Innkeepers, provided a delicious dinner...we will go there again!
Charles Kingston, the resident historian, ended our day with a spirited question and answer session on the Battle of Gettysburg. That was just our first day! Thanks to the hospitality of Christine, Todd, and Molly we will return soon to Gettysburg and the Doubleday Inn.

• Liked — Christine and Todd provided everything we could need or want.
  • Disliked — Our stay was too short!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
11 Thank mtnlaurel_7
Northampton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2007

I stayed briefly at the Doubleday Inn and really enjoyed it. The house is lovely and nicely located on the battlefield, the innkeepers
are friendly, and the breakfasts were delicious. If you're not a Civil War buff you may want to bone up on your history before your stay -- it's (understandably) a major topic of conversation around the breakfast table!

None of the rooms can be locked when you're outside the room (they do have button-type locks, like a bathroom, for when you are inside),
which I will admit I found a little uncomfortable, and this may not be OK with all visitors. Also, the room I stayed in (the Sallie the War Dog room) had a non-attached bath; this is clearly noted on the hotel website, and very nice robes were provided, so that was neither
unexpected nor a problem. I was disconcerted, though, when I realized
that the bathroom windows look directly out onto the back deck, and if there are shades, I couldn't find them (although the curtain tie-backs were easily let down to block the windows). I wouldn't recommend that particular room -- I would rather have paid the extra money for a more private bathroom.

Reservations through the web site, check-in and check-out were pleasant and easy, and the innkeepers seemed extremely accomodating, although I didn't make as much use of them as I might have. All in all, I had a very pleasant two-night stay at the Doubleday Inn and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a traditional homey B&B experience.

• Liked — Quiet but central location, hosts, breakfast
  • Disliked — Bathroom windows!
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled solo
15 Thank Kyle H
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2007

The Doubleday Inn was such a wonderful experience. It is very quaint and "homey". The owners, Todd and Christine were absolutely attentive and so kind. It was the perfect getaway; peaceful, great breakfast, nicely decorated rooms, and an adorable mascot; their Golden Retriever Molly! My husband and I spent our anniversary there and we couldn't have been more happy! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed April 2007
11 Thank daffydkt
Deer Park, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2007

Friendly, gracious hosts Todd and Christine.
Nice country style decorated rooms that are super clean.
Delicious filling breakfasts, my favorite was the Caramel French Toast.
Me and a friend of mine stayed two nights in the Iverson Room which was spacious with a double bed and twin bed and a large bathroom. It was in the left upstairs corner of the house with views of the battlefield. The cozy downstairs parlor area had a fire going and was very inviting to pick up one of their Civil War books and read by the fire. There is no TV at the Inn which makes for a quiet stay. Each morning I walked the battlefield park road before breakfast towards the Eternal Peace Light Memorial down and around Buford Ave which comes back around to the Doubleday Inn on Doubleday Ave., about a mile and a half. It was rather warm this time of year, Jan. 5-6-7, so it was pleasantly cool with fabulous sunrises a great time to have the battlefield to yourself in this off season. I usually like staying in the town of Gettysburg but what actually drew me to this place was the off-season prices advertised on their website and the location of being right on the battlefield. So I checked tripadvisor reviews and the concensus was almost everyone that wrote in really enjoyed this place. I'm glad I chose this B and B and would stay here again.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with friends
14 Thank GeeZee
New York, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2007

My family and I stayed at the Doubleday Inn and we had a truly wonderful experience. The Innkeepers (Christine and Todd) were so friendly and eager to make our stay as pleasurable as possible. They were knowledgeable and made wonderful recommendations for activities and restaurants that we all enjoyed.

I understand that the Thomas' recently acquired the Inn; when it comes to hospitality, they are naturals! During breakfast, I enjoyed learning tidbits and insider secrets from other guests who had been coming to Gettysburg for years. It was really nice to come back to the Inn after a day of shopping and sightseeing. I felt like I was returning to a home away from home!

We live in the New York metropolitan area and absolutely love to travel. What a unique location, the Inn is on the battlefield autotour and just moments away from downtown and the college. After meeting some of the other guests, I realized how convenient it was to drive to a number of major cities from the Inn including NYC, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.. Our Gettysburg getaway was a wonderful break from the hustle and bustle of city life. The new beds were great and I felt so comfortable sitting in the living room with my tea, cookie and book. I found the tranquil environment that I have been in need of for some time. Thank you!

I highly recommend visiting the good people over at the Doubleday Inn.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
15 Thank LLSUNSHiNE
Easton, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2006

I can honestly say that my night at the Doubleday Inn was the best bed and breakfast experience I've ever had. The room was spacious, comfortable and tastefully decorated. The bed was the most luxurious and comfortable one I've ever stayed in - including my own at home.

I was surprised at how quiet the inn was, considering there was a couple directly above me. I didn't hear a peep. I loved the wide array of books available in the room and the innkeepers were incredibly generous with their time and knowledge of the area.

And breakfast! It was fantastic - caramel french toast, loads of fresh fruit and scrambled eggs. I don't remember the last time I ate like that! And Christine and Todd do a wonderful job of keeping the conversation light and friendly, and I discovered some common ground with several of the guests.

All around, this was a wonderful experience. I would recommend the Doubleday to anybody, if for no other reason than there is no feeling quite like waking up and seeing the sun rising over the battlefield. It was enchanting. What a lovely place.

• Stayed November 2006, travelled with family