“First time stay here, very pleased”

1863 Inn of Gettysburg
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night last weekend. We chose it based on the location. We had a king size room facing the back and I have to say it was amazingly clean. I'm pretty picky about such things, and I kept commenting to my husband how nice it was to be in hotel that was so clean. The breakfast was ok, but since it was included in our room rate, and the rate was so reasonable, we had no reason to complain. We've already told friends about this place and we plan on staying here again if we ever stop over in Gettysburg in the future.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JLKfelter
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review for us. We are glad you enjoyed your visit and plan to come back. Our rooms are very clean and comfortable. The staff does an excellent job here. We certainly appreciate the kind words. We look forward to your next visit. Thank you again.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

There is absolutely no way that this dirty, foul-smelling "inn" is an "inn". It can barely qualify as a motel. The rooms were dirty and dark. The "fitness area" was a room barely the size of a closet (which by the way the motel does not have in the rooms), with two treadmills. The breakfast was vile, prepackaged foods, juice from dirty dispensers. Basically a complete waste of money. The receptionist did not even ask us how our stay was when we checked out..probably because she knew.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

I sent you an email and ask that you contact me direct to discuss these issues that you claim to have had during your stay. Quite frankly, I believe that you have the 1863 Inn confused with some other hotel. You seem to be very candid with your comments so I will be as well. We most certainly do have closets in every room. The closet is that large, square area with all the hangers and the shelf with an extra blanket on it. Perhaps you missed it? And the fitness room-well that is actually equipped with 4 pieces of equipment. You may have missed those as well? They sit right behind the 2 treadmills. I am not sure how you missed them, but apparently you did. Now your comments about the hotel being " Dirty and foul smelling"- this hotel is far from foul smelling and in no way is it dirty. Our rooms are spotless and I have never smelled anything-as you so bluntly put it-foul. The breakfast room is also very clean and the juice dispensers are cleaned and flushed daily. We have a very nice selection of items and it is Free so definitely not a "waste of money" and most certainly not "vile"-interesting choice of words. As far as the rooms being dark, you may not have known how to operate the drapery system. We have black out panels at every window for our guests privacy. If you did not know how to open them-yes it may have been a bit dark. Every guest is asked how they enjoyed their stay at check out. Perhaps you did not hear the young lady at the desk when she asked you. Every guest is also given a "courtesy" call after they check in-advising them that if they do have any questions or concerns to let us know and we will be happy to assist them. I see from the reviews that you have posted regarding other hotels that you have visited that you do not hesitate to let someone know if you have a problem. It makes me wonder why-if you were that dissatisfied with your visit with us-you did not make your displeasure known while you were here. We certainly would have done everything possible to take care of any issues brought to our attention-if any existed. I am a tad bit offended by your comments. We are not perfect but by no means do we deserve to be referred to as -"vile, dirty, foul smelling and dingy". We try our best to make sure that every guest is happy with their visit. All we ask is to be notified if you do have an issue so we are given the chance to make it right. You did not give us that opportunity. I do hope that you will give me a call to discuss your visit. I truly look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

My husband and I decided spur of the moment to stay over night in Gettysburg. We got a room here with no problem. It was very clean and comfortable. The only issue we had was that we called and asked for a wake up call and never received one. Luckily our travel plans were flexible but would have been really upset if we had missed something based on this. Other than that would definitely stay here again, very nice.

Room Tip: we had a room in the adjacent building in the back. Very quiet and seemed newer than the rest of th...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rove407
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit. I do apologize for the missed wake up call. That is unacceptable and will be addressed with the clerk that was on duty. I was glad to hear that you found the room to be clean and comfortable. I do hope that you will visit with us again. It would be our pleasure.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

i will be telling everyone this is the place to stay oh wait i already have been and i haven't checked out yet!
staff is amazing and go above to insure your stay is enjoyable and you find the sites of interest to you well informed on all things local
rooms are large , clean and well kept. the breakfast is over the top!
very nice set up for pet needs, and all staff amazing with mine

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us how much you enjoyed your visit with us. We certainly appreciate your loyalty. We have a wonderful staff here and they enjoy helping our guests in any way they can. We hope you will come back to see us soon. It would be our pleasure! And please don't forget to bring your pup with you! We love our furry friends here!! Thank you again for the wonderful review!

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

I stay at this hotel every year, since 2007. And have never been disappointed. The staff are always friendly & the rooms are always clean. I LOVE the location, I can park my vehicle at the hotel & walk to a lot of the battlefield & shops. Which is especially nice since I stay there on Memorial Day weekend which is the start of GBG's busy season. I don't have to worry about finding a parking spot.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank GettysburgGirl
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

We are so glad that you enjoy your visits with us and have made the 1863 Inn your "Gettysburg Address!". We certainly appreciate your loyalty and hope that you will continue to make this your home away from home. Thank you for the wonderful review. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

The hotel is right in town and within walking distance of the square. My husband and I visit Gettysburg at least twice a year, mostly day trips. But since it was our anniversary, we decided to spend the night in town. I had never been to this hotel before however passed by it every time we visited. What a nice place! And the complementary breakfast was one of the best!

Room Tip: We stayed in the back of the hotel above the pool on the 5st floor. Since it was February, the pool...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit. We were pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay. We hope that you will come back to see us in the future. We appreciate the wonderful review and are glad that you decided to celebrate your Anniversary with us! Thank you again. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

On our return trip from Florida to Ottawa we made it to Gettysburg, Pa and choose to stay at the 1863 Inn of Gettysburg based on its location and its "Street" appeal. The fact that the off season hotel rate was quite reasonable was another reason to stay at this hotel.

The hotel room was excellent...spacious, clean with a good King Bed and bathroom which more then meet our expectations. The breakfast was adequate with plenty of options. The hotel staff member we encountered was pleasant and provided us with helpful advise as to where to eat and what to see while in town.

I would recommend this hotel to those visiting Gettysburg and I definitely would return to this hotel the next time I visit Gettysburg.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to be clean and comfortable. Please stop and see us again if you are back this way. It would be our pleasure! Hope to see you soon.