“Really?”
Review of El Cafecito

El Cafecito
Ranked #3 of 27 Restaurants in Grants
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Description: Built new restaurant in 2011, same location for 31 years we now seat 113 and offer a banquet room that seats 50. We are on the corner of Nimitz and Santa Fe Ave. on historic Rt. 66, just 1 mile off of I-40. We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner. New Mexican food made fresh daily at reasonable prices.
Reviewed 19 April 2014

First, let me mention that the staff are very friendly and happy. The food is another story. The prices are very "good," so sometimes I guess you get what you pay for. We started off with Nachos. I specifically asked that the edges be browner than standard . . . But since they are not cooked under a burner (I was not told this) that did not happen. We were served chips out of a bag with pre-melted white cheese poured over them. I like cheese melted on chips under a burner. The toppings are plentiful so if it is eating a lot you are into, this might be the place for you. My husband ordered a bowl of chili without beans thinking there would be some meat in it: wrong. The green chili was too spicy which! of course, is personal but what seemed puréed chili was too different for him. Then he tried the Ribeye (I am not sure why) with rice and beans. He liked the beans. The rice was as described in another review: weird and tomato sauce "infused." He left over half the steak. The very cheerful server said everything but the corn tortillas was made in house. . . Um. They do make their flour tortillas in house and they were tasty. I wish the food was better as the dining staff are inviting! P.S. They have no alcohol so if you are looking to imbibe pick another stop.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

This place had the absolute worst mexican food my wife and I have ever eaten - just horrible. It was clean and the wait staff was attentive and polite but the food was laughably bad. Stay as far away as possible from the enchiladas, beans and rice!!!

1  Thank Michael B
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Took ride with family on trip to ABQ, and stopped here for quick lunch. Fast service, friendly atmosphere. All three of us enjoyed our chile rellenos, tacos and enchilada. Nice that you can order ala carte and not have to get platter with beans and rice. Interesting art work. Only draw back was people coming around selling jewelry- but they moved on quickly if you said no thanks.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

The service was poor. They don't tell you that the enchiladas are cheese and if you ask for beef in the enchilada they consider it a substitution and charge you $1.50 extra. May not sound like much but when you order the enchilada plate it only costs 50 cents for beef for two enchiladas. Makes no sense to me... Pointed it out and the comment was "you are only one of hundreds who have complained about that". Have to pay for chips and salsa. But you get complimentary sopapillas. They were TOUGH! Would rather have the chips and salsa.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

The waitress was to be commended for good service, attentiveness, and got the order correct.

After driving the drag a couple times (and visiting competition that shares a large parking lot with the main grocery store in town), we settled on El Cafecito having read some reviews here and elsewhere.

We all ordered chile rellenos, and all arrived over-fried, as if they had been deep fried and forgotten. The dough surrounding them was thick and inside was a medium picante green chile with white cheese. At least two of us gave up trying to slice the relleno with fork and knife and sliced it open to eat the chile and cheese alone.

The orange cheese that came on it congealed quickly. I simply removed it off to the side as it didn't seem very palatable.

One of us received a side of red chile (enchilada sauce) for the rellenos. It came in a small plastic container. It, like the green enchilada sauce, only comes with meat (as noted by one reviewer here earlier--I thought perhaps that might have changed. (The competitor in the grocery shopping center area said that they have stopped adding meat to the enchilada sauce, green and red.)

I ordered a bean tostada that was tasty and a very good value for $1.50.

Overall, I felt that the food was not worth returning a second time. I've eaten rellenos in many places and this was by far the worst.