“Big room for reasonable price”

and 1 more site!
Red Lion Hotel Grants
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Grants
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stopped here for one night on a cross country road trip. We checked in after midnight, the night auditor was friendly and efficient. Parking lot was well lit but I was a little surprised that the rear doors from the lot did not require a key to enter or that we were not required to enter through the lobby at that time of night. The room was bigger that I expected if a bit too warm for our liking. The beds were comfy and if you don't mind sleeping with just a sheet you will get a good nights rest. Having a group of four we liked having two sinks. The breakfast is served until 930am even though it says 900 on your coupon but don't stroll in at 915 like we did and expect a warm reception. The server was efficient but obviously want to clean up and go home. The hotel being pet friendly and having a reasonable pet fee was a huge selling point for us. We would stay here again if traveling on I40.

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels
Debra S, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Grants, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you so much for your feed back. I am glad you were surprised and unhappy that your reception in the dining room for breakfast was not good and I will address the issue. Thank you for staying and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

The hotel is actually pretty nice, and has a lot of potential. The pool and spa are really nice. The property is in a good location, right off the freeway.

Air Conditioning: There is a sign posted clearly on the wall next to the thermostat (central air/heat) not to put the air conditioning below 68, or the air conditioner will free up. That's fine...I don't want/need it anywhere near that cold. I set it at 77/78 or so just to cool the room a little bit.

About 30 minutes later, noticed that the bathroom sink (the air conditioning unit is above the sink) and countertop were covered in water, including my cell phone and charger, and watch. Luckily they weren't damaged.

Called Maintenance, and they did offer to give me a different room, but with as many suitcases and such that we had, I didn't bother. The air conditioner continued to leak all night, even with the air off.

Internet: The Internet is attrocious. Was completely unusable due to the slow speeds. Simple webpages like Google would time out and never load. Finally managed to get a speed test running, and it was showing 0.05mbps download speeds and upload speeds timed out. That was to a test server in Albuquerque, 68 miles away. Had to just use 4G on my phone all night. This is 2014. Slow Internet speeds are 100% unacceptable.

Bugs: I guess the correct term is arachnids, since spiders aren't bugs, but killed several of them in the room. One was the size of a silver dollar...crazy-looking thing. Can't say I've really ever seen that in a hotel room before.

Unfortunately the Holiday Inn Express across the street was booked solid. These guys have some work to do. Have stayed in several Red Lions up in the Pacific Northwest, and never had any issues.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Debra S, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Grants, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for the feedback. I have to say I have never seen spiders you discribed. I do wish you had let us move you to a different room as you would have been more comfortable. I do hope you choose to return as we would like to see you back. Thank you again.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

To begin with, my reservation never WAS found by the desk clerk. I had a confirmation number... but it did not appear on their computer. I was given alternate room - which had no air - then moved to another room where I was told to not lower the temp below 68 because the unit would freeze up. What happened was: the sitting area in the king suite reached 68 and the cooler shut off - but the bedroom, which is separated by a solid wall, had no air flow and remained stuffy and warm. I checked out and went elsewhere. I will say that the staff was friendly and tried their best - but the facility is in such need of repair, there was little they could do but apologize.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels
1  Thank Leila N
Debra S, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Grants, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for the feedback, I can assure you that the issues you wrote about are being investigated. I do Hope that you will return. We will make your stay what you expected.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I've never been treated as rudely by a hotel employee as I was by the person working breakfast at the hotel. Snapped at me when I, very politely, asked for silverware for my kids (she had brought their food five minutes before and literally tossed it on the table and hurried away, ignoring us when we asked the first time.) Needless to say, we left the congealing eggs behind and went to McDonalds for breakfast. They had one person working the entire dining room, and all the food other than waffles and bagels has to be made to order. (Supposedly you have a choice of entrees or a buffet, but your entree choices are scrambled vs over easy, hash browns or biscuits and gravy- no menu to order from. I guess the bagels and waffles constitute a "buffet.") I understand the server feeling overwhelmed but she was downright nasty, the front desk didn't care, and the hotel needs to have a sufficient staff to serve their guests.

The room was not bad overall. It was clean, the beds were comfortable, and the internet worked. On the downside, the air conditioning didn't really cool the room, the shower was in disrepair, and the clock radio constantly buzzed so we unplugged it. The kids did enjoy the pool, which was nice and well-maintained.

Overall, it's not a bad place to stay if you just need somewhere to sleep, but don't bother with the breakfast and don't expect to be treated courteously.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your feed back. I assure we will get to the Bottom of the issue and get it corrected. I do hope that you will return and let us make it up to you.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We had never stayed at a Red Lion. I booked a queen suite thinking we would get two beds, but it was only one. The clerk was gracious about changing me to a king suite with no problem. The bed was comfortable, lots of room to spread out after a day of driving. The hot tub was nice and hot. We were the only people in the pool area. Let too early to take advantage of the free breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Debra S, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Grants, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you so much for you review. My Staff strives to make everyone as comfortable and As Happy as possible here at Red Lion in Grants. Thank you for Staying!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

The room thermostat was set at 78° which was a bit warm. I reset the thermostat to 73° and the room did not cool down. By the next morning, the temperature was only 75°. We did not sweat but only slept under the sheets.

The room electrical outlets need to be changed because plugins could not hold the cords of items plugged into them.

The breakfast was good. A waitress takes your order for eggs, sausage, hash browns and biscuits with gravy. Very pleasant.

Overall it was a pleasant stay in a clean motel.

Room Tip: Make sure the AC works. The east side rooms are bright when the sun comes up over the mountains.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you Very much for your feedback. I do apoligize that you air conditioner wasnt working right. Had the front Desk known about the issue we would have gotten you moved to a different room. I hope that you return and let us make your stay a Great one.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We wanted to stay in Grants since our (grown) son wanted to see the Bandera Volcano and Ice Cave the next day. We saw signs all over the hotel that they wanted to be #1 on Trip Advisor. They had plenty of luggage carts, and they gave us a first floor room, which impressed us since we had just made the reservation that morning.
We needed to do laundry since we had been on the road for quite a while. We located it on the hotel diagram and realized it was upstairs. When we got upstairs, we found one coin washer and one coin dryer. For as big a hotel as this, we were a little surprised, but fortunately they were not in use. Later we wanted to get some ice, so consulted the diagram again, but there were no ice machines on that side of the building despite what the diagram showed. We finally called the front desk and found out there was one ice machine on the other side of the building.
The upholstered chair in the room had a stain on it, but it did look like they had scrubbed the rug. Overall, the place was fine for an overnight stay, but if they want to be #1 on TripAdvisor, they are going to have to repair/ replace things faster like the big chains do.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Debra S, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Grants, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you for the feed back. I am sorry you had some issues at our Hotel. We are working on improvement every day so I do hope you will choose to stay again. We look forward to seeing you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grants
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grants-Milan
Sky City Casino Hotel and RV Park
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 11 in Grants

Been to Red Lion Hotel Grants? Share your experiences!