“A good museum, suffers a bit in comparison to more modern Presidential museums.”

Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum
Hudson Valley New York Great Estates Pass
Ranked #1 of 22 things to do in Hyde Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Historic site features the home and estate of Franklin D. Roosevelt, Springwood, and the Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum, the only Presidential Library used by a sitting president. It was conceived and built under President Roosevelt's direction and opened to the public in 1941.The Library's mission is to foster research and education on the life and times of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt, and their continuing impact on contemporary life. Our work is carried out by four major areas: Archives, Museum, Education and Public Programs.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access
Northbrook, IL
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 132 helpful votes
Reviewed 22 August 2007

My wife, two sons and I visited the FDR National Historic Site on August 9th. We drove from Cooperstown, New York, where one of my sons had been competing in a baseball tournament. We're from the Chicago area, so the trip to the site took us out of our way about 120 miles. On the whole, I think the detour was worth it.

Because we arrived late in the afternoon, our visit was limited to the presidential library and museum. In the welcome area there was an interesting short movie about FDR, which I would recommend. It is then a short walk over to the library and museum itself.

Given FDR's place in history, it's almost a given that the material in the museum is going to be of interest. However, because of the museum's age, it appears somewhat dated when compared to a museum like the Truman museum, which we visited last summer. The Truman museum was much more interactive, while the FDR museum is a more traditional collection of papers, photos, etc.

Two highlights: A recreation of FDR's map room, which he used during the war to keep in touch with troop movements, etc. Also, there is a temporary exhibit (through 12.31.07) entitled "Freedom From Fear" which was very interesting.

I don't want to give the impression I didn't enjoy the museum. It just comes up second when compared to the Truman museum. Also, we didn't get the exposure to the other parts of the site (FDR's home, etc.), so I can't speak to the appeal of those other exhibits.

2 Thank LostButMakinGoodTime