“A home to a remarkable lady”
Review of Val-Kill Cottage

and up
Hudson Valley New York Great Estates Pass
Ranked #3 of 21 things to do in Hyde Park
More attraction details
Owner description: The home of Eleanor Roosevelt that is located on the Roosevelt estate and is open to the public.
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Val-Kill (aka Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site) was the place that Eleanor called home. Nothing fancy even though heads of state visited. Tucked in the woods, with a stream there is a sense of peace about it which must have been very welcomed respite from her extensive travelling. The introductory movie and tour is about an hour. The history of Val Kill is very interesting and I will not spoil it for you. Go and enjoy! There is a walking trail that takes you to FDR's place and library (about 2 miles) and then another 2 miles to the Vanderbilt Mansion.

1  Thank Richard F

Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stopped here on our annual national parks trip- this time to the East Coast. We always buy the national parks recreation passport which allows you to get into all of the national parks for a full year for one price. If you are visiting multiple national parks you should look into it because it will save you money, often paying for itself after only two or three stops.

After visiting FDR and Vanderbilt Mansion we decided that we had to stop here to make our Hyde Park visit complete. This cottage was the only place that Eleanor considered home as the FDR house was her mother in laws home. The cottage sits on a very pretty piece of property and you have to park and walk to the home- a five minute walk and then get on a tour to visit the home. The video about her is very informative and the house is neat. I would stop here to complete your Hyde Park visit. There is room for camper parking but not much.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I loved that this location was a place to live away from the spotlight. It wasn't built as a status symbol or used to overwhelm visitors. The property is beautiful and relaxing. You can just see community picnics being held there.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

I spent the morning at Val Kil, Eleanor Roosevelt's home. I was given a private tour, as I was the only one at that time to show up, by a wonderful woman, who's name escapes me, but she was 91 years old and knew Mrs. Roosevelt. She shared wonderful stories of Mrs. Roosevelt's life. I loved seeing how simply Mrs. Roosevelt lived, just the things she needed and nothing more. People were more important to her.
I loved her home and could understand why she loved it so very much. It is peaceful and comfortable.
I left there with an admiration of Mrs. Roosevelt and a desire to learn more about this remarkable person.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

This is a must see if you are touring the the hudson river valley. It also completes the Franklin an Eleanor story. The house is filled with many original items. On the guided tour you get a good idea how THE first lady lived her life after the white house

Been to Val-Kill Cottage? Share your experiences!