“A great way to experience the CIA and not break the bank”

Apple Pie Bakery Cafe
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Hyde Park
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Apple Pie Bakery Cafe showcases the talents of the CIA's baking and pastry arts students and faculty, and features sumptuous baked goods and cafe cuisine. The full menu is available for takeout or to enjoy in our relaxed, reservation-free dining area. The Apple Pie Bakery Cafe received awards for "Best Desserts" and "Best Lunch Spot" in Hudson Valley Magazine's annual "Best Of The Hudson Valley" awards.
Elmer, New Jersey
“A great way to experience the CIA and not break the bank”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My husband and I visited the CIA for the second time, last month. We had lunch at the Apple Pie Bakery Cafe, two days in a row. The food is wonderful and much more abundant and reasonably priced than the French restaurant, for dinner. The next time we visit the Hyde Park area, we will return for lunch again!

• Turkish first
Leeds, Alabama
“Wonderful Quick Stop at CIA”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

After a tour of the CIA and it's magnificent grounds we had brunch at the Apple Pie Café. The colors and displays made me want 1 of everything!

My husband had the Prosciutto Sandwich with a basil dressing and I had to take it apart to try and see what it had in it. It was the best sandwich I had ever eaten. I had the Mac and Cheese which our tour guide had said it was the best in NY and I must say, the guide was right! We finished the meal off by splitting a chocolate éclair which was the ONLY thing that makes this a 4 and not 5 rating; it was just a little tough but the flavor was very good.

This is a non fancy place to stop, unlike the other spots on campus, so wear whatever you wish. The food will not disappoint and there are things to go as well.

Bondsville, Massachusetts
“Nice place for lunch”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

After visiting the Vanderbilt Mansion, it was time for lunch. Two had split pea soup and said that it was more than enough for lunch. This being the first day of no school in the region the lines may have been longer than normal to get in. Ordering is done cafeteria style with the plates brought to the tables. My crab cakes were tasty, but a plate of scallops for another couple was served just warm and had to be returned for reheating. Focaccia bread with onions was another favorite of the group. Kids enjoyed the fries and whatever else they ordered. Had Black Current ice tea, but it did not have the flavor of what I make at home. Maybe I should let them know that a Dutch brand of Black Current tea makes a great drink. Service was mixed.

New Jersey
“Waited for 30 years and was so disappointed.”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I've been trying to get to the CIA and the Apple Pie Cafe since the early 80's, and finally made it this past Friday. My friend and I were so disappointed. It opens at 11 am, and by 12 pm they did not have much selection of baked goods left. The salad I had was adequate, but by no means distinguished or unusual, as you might expect from a culinary school. I paid $17 for a salad, danish pastry, and cup of cappuccino, and left hungry.

The dining area was crowded and noisy. What was good were the many students keeping the tables clean and providing hot drinks on request.

If you don't have a reason to go here, such as knowing a student, I would truly advise not to bother. Perhaps the restaurants are much better. I won't be finding this out any time soon.

1 Thank piet51
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Breakfast delights!”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We shared a maple brioche doughnut, a brioche sticky bun, and a filled pretzel. The doughnut was amazing. The bun was very good, but the doughnut was better. The filled pretzel was delicious--a crusty bread surrounding a filling of cheese, mushrooms, and asparagus. Absolutely splended. Cappucinos took a LONG time to arrive, although the cafe was nearly empty. It has been our experience that the food at CIA is amazing, but the service is off in terms of pacing. But that won't keep us away! Go early when it's not too busy.

• Visited May 2014