“Great Lunch at a Reasonable Cost”

Apple Pie Bakery Cafe
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Hyde Park
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The Apple Pie Bakery Cafe showcases the talents of the CIA's baking and pastry arts students and faculty, and features sumptuous baked goods and cafe cuisine. The full menu is available for takeout or to enjoy in our relaxed, reservation-free dining area. The Apple Pie Bakery Cafe received awards for "Best Desserts" and "Best Lunch Spot" in Hudson Valley Magazine's annual "Best Of The Hudson Valley" awards.
Reviewed 28 August 2014

This restaurant is part of the Culinary Institute in Hyde park and doesn't take reservations so there was a line to get in, even at 2pm. We stood for a half hour or so. The items on the menu were limited by the time we got to order as they would run out of an entree as the hours went along so neither me, nor my mother actually ordered what we'd planned. However, the salads and truffle fries we did have were delicious and beautifully presented. Drinks were also great. Pleasant sitting area and the students working there do a wonderful job! I would most certainly go again, though I do wish you could make a reservation.

Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stopped here after Ziplining nearby for lunch. The bakery display case made it very hard for us to choose our desserts!

For lunch I had the prosciutto de Parma. I actually skipped the prosciutto and subbed chicken. The baguette was crusty and the sandwich itself was delicious. My friend had the macaroni and cheese and said it was the best she's ever had.

Now, onto dessert! I had the cinnamon and sugar donut holes. They melted in my mouth. My friend had the mudslide cookie. We both loved it! We also both took home an additional dessert to try at home!!!

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Kudos to the student staff at this very busy place for maintaining a sense of humor and warm smile in the chaos of prospective students, tourists, and staff patrons.

1  Thank YogaMamas
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My husband and I visited the CIA for the second time, last month. We had lunch at the Apple Pie Bakery Cafe, two days in a row. The food is wonderful and much more abundant and reasonably priced than the French restaurant, for dinner. The next time we visit the Hyde Park area, we will return for lunch again!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

After a tour of the CIA and it's magnificent grounds we had brunch at the Apple Pie Café. The colors and displays made me want 1 of everything!

My husband had the Prosciutto Sandwich with a basil dressing and I had to take it apart to try and see what it had in it. It was the best sandwich I had ever eaten. I had the Mac and Cheese which our tour guide had said it was the best in NY and I must say, the guide was right! We finished the meal off by splitting a chocolate éclair which was the ONLY thing that makes this a 4 and not 5 rating; it was just a little tough but the flavor was very good.

This is a non fancy place to stop, unlike the other spots on campus, so wear whatever you wish. The food will not disappoint and there are things to go as well.