“Pretty awful.”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Creek Road
Transit: Dutchess
Description: Joseph's Steakhouse is minutes from Culinary, Marist and Vassar College. Located next to Val-Kill. Eleanor Roosevelt's National Site in Historic Hyde Park and minutes from FDR Library. Joseph's Italian Steakhouse was once part of Val-Kill and was called Val-Kill Station. Val-Kill Station from 1933 to 1949 servered as a Tea Room restaurant serving a Tea Luncheon to Royal families & travlers visting the Roosevelts. Besides our great steaks and seafood, Joseph Steakhouse still continues the tea luncheon tradition by reservation only in the tea room. Available daily for Groups of 25 or more. Private room for catering.
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Shocked that this is #1. We have been several times, as a couple and with friends. Food is mediocre and steaks are never the temperature requested. Very expensive for what you get. Service is a bit overly friendly for my taste, but at least they are enthusiastic.

2  Thank Kinsey H
Joseph's S, Owner at Joseph's Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

I am shocked at pretty awful also. We did not become #1 by not severing a great steak. To me I would like ever customer leaving here feeling they had a the best steak ever. If you been here several times before, it must of been pretty good that you came back. I would guess our Chefs cooked around ten thousand steak this year. Our broiler cooks at around 1700 degrees and it's a art cooking 20 steaks at once. But once in a while we get one not cooked to the customer liking. Believe me I am not that happy enthusiastic guy when my customers are not happy. Try us again and make sure you ask for Joseph, I will make sure you have the best steak ever.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

I have put of going to Joseph's ever since it opened, I am not one to go out for steak, booorrring! When we do it's usually off to NYC to one of the venerable steakhouse's. Last week my wife and I decided we would give it a try, and we are so glad we did. I didn't expect this in my home town, but they really deliver. The greeting was professional and welcoming. We opted to wait for a table in the main dining room, they were full on a Wednesday night, and we didn't have a reservation. We sat at the bar where we were promptly served. We both enjoyed our appetizers, my mussels were especially good, plump, sweet, fresh and properly cooked. We both ordered the prime rib after we overheard other diners saying how good it was. The eavesdropping worked out, the prime rib was out of this world, I mean this was without a doubt the best beef I've ever had with the exception of Wagyu and Kobe. The dessert was pretty good, a homemade ice cream, delicious,but the brownie seemed to be a box mix. Being a former chef I have to give it 5 stars just on the slow roasted prime rib...just delightful way out. The service was prompt and gracious. Joseph, we look forward to joining you soon. Maybe you could have your chef work on a homemade brownie!

2  Thank Chefspalate

Nice review and make sure you try one of our Dry Aged Steak next time. Chef makes the apple crisp & cranberry bread pudding. As for the brownies Chef did not make them my wife did. After 30 years of marriage she may of had me fooled that they were homemade. We might just have to upgrade at brownie but I can not upgrade the wife.
Joseph

Reviewed 28 October 2013

My husband and I ate at Joseph's recently and we were so glad we did. What a wonderful little gem. From start to finish we had an incredible meal. While trying to decide what to eat, the friendly owner Joseph came over and suggested the strip steak. Since we also love a good prime rib, we decided to get one of each and share. OMG-the strip was amazing and done to perfection. The prime rib was cooked rare as requested and so tender and tasty. Who needs Manhatten steakhouses? We will be back. (Sinatra music a nice touch)

2  Thank Zoe H
Joseph's S, Owner at Joseph's Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thank you for the review and becoming a new local customers to enjoy Joseph's. I agree, you did make two good choices. I rate our slow cooked Certified Angus Prime Rib the best I ever had. Be sure to try our outstanding Sunday Brunch. Hope to see you soon. Thank you Joseph

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Tired of waiting in long Sunday brunch lines only to find the food has been picked over, is cold, isn't fresh?

Treat yourself to Sunday Brunch the way it was meant to be...

{We started with a Harney and Son tea flavor called "Paris". Divinely served in our own personal teapot by ForLife, it was a wonderful way to warm up after being outside on a chilly Fall morning.}

For a very reasonable price we received our choice of beverage (we had mimosas, which our waiter later refreshed!), a dish of fresh fruit (sliced strawberries, grape halves, cantaloupe pieces, and freshly sliced bananas on top), followed by a choice of entree...there are several delectable items, such as salmon, but we passed them up because after all, this is JOSEPH'S Steakhouse! Our waiter and the house manager, Michael, recommended the hangar steak, medium rare and the poached eggs, a perfect textural combination. The steak was delicious, perfectly done, and sliced for ease. The hollandaise sauce was served on the side, warm, and was a perfect complement to the poached eggs (and the steak!).

Apple crisp was the dessert which is part of the price of the meal. You can choose one of three ice creams to top it... we had the cherry merlot. WONDERFUL. Simply delicious served on top of the warm perfectly crafted crisp.

The young 20 something chef really outdid himself. And Michael, our waitstaff, really outdid himself in hospitality, giving us a tour and a bit of history of their establishment. It was a very memorable brunch. We will be back!

3  Thank LeslieQ914
Joseph's S, Owner at Joseph's Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

What a nice way to describe our three course Sunday Brunch. With Filet Mignon Benedict, Homemade Corned Beef Hash and French Toast stuffed with Mascarpone & Strawberries, I can't wait for Sunday to come. Thank you ... Joseph

Reviewed 25 October 2013

My fiancé and I absolutely love Joseph's! Everytime we come it gets better. Best steak we've ever had. He gets the cowboy ribeye and I get the filet. Absolutely divine! Visited Chicago in August and went with a friend who has also dined at Joseph's. We decided to search out the #1 steakhouse chi town had to offer. One bite into our $80 steaks we both said we couldn't wait to get back to Joseph's in little old Hyde Park!

2  Thank Adimaso
Joseph's S, Owner at Joseph's Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

I have to rate this as one of my favorite reviews. I am trying to bring a high quality Steakhouse to the Hudson Valley, so it's really nice when we get such a great complement. We do get a few reviews comparing us to different New York steakhouse but this is our first Chicago comparison. Thank you, and we too are glad you are back to little old Hyde Park. Joseph