“OUTSTANDING!!!”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Creek Road
Transit: Dutchess
Description: Joseph's Steakhouse is minutes from Culinary, Marist and Vassar College. Located next to Val-Kill. Eleanor Roosevelt's National Site in Historic Hyde Park and minutes from FDR Library. Joseph's Italian Steakhouse was once part of Val-Kill and was called Val-Kill Station. Val-Kill Station from 1933 to 1949 servered as a Tea Room restaurant serving a Tea Luncheon to Royal families & travlers visting the Roosevelts. Besides our great steaks and seafood, Joseph Steakhouse still continues the tea luncheon tradition by reservation only in the tea room. Available daily for Groups of 25 or more. Private room for catering.
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Our family went to Joseph's on Fathers Day and we were referred here by a friend of ours. From the moment we walked in the door, the staff and owner were over the top friendly and accommodating. Being that we caught them between lunch and dinner, the owner personally showed me mementos and photographs that are placed all around the restaurant. I felt like I was either a VIP or a Restaurant reviewer. After seeing the beautiful, ornate building, we were seated by Michael. I simply stared at the numerous items on the menu and since they were so cordial and friendly, I took Michaels recommended of the Cowboy Bone in Steak....All that I can say about it was W O W!!!!! I'm glad that I did. It was, BY and FAR, the BEST steak I have EVER had. We had such a pleasurable dining experience that I will make sure that we have a reservation for the next time that we come back.

3  Thank Mark191919
Joseph's S, Owner at Joseph's Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Nice to get such a OUTSTANDING!!! review. Now being so close don't be a stranger, we love having OUTSTANDING customers also. Thank you Joseph

Reviewed 13 June 2014

On our recent road trip of the Hudson Valley we booked a table at Josephs prior to even leaving the U.K. I was really looking forward to it. Things started well -Friendly service, nice surroundings. But when our Medium Rare 32oz Porterhouse Steak arrived sizzling on the serving plate it was already well on it's way to Medium. By the time all our sides had arrived it was over. I am sure this does not always happen but it spoilt the meal for me. Whether this was because it was a Tuesday and our waiter was juggling restaurant, and bar drinks/meals by himself I do not know.

4  Thank PeaceFoodandaSnorkel
Joseph's S, Owner at Joseph's Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

I feel responsible for your end results. I was not there Tuesday night because I was not feeling good and took the night off. I am there on week days to help with serves. My server that night normal has no problem taken care of both the bar and floor. My wife said that's why I need to be there every night and she is right. If you ever return I will personally make sure you get our 5 star
serves. Joseph

Reviewed 9 June 2014

... and visit Joseph's while in Hyde Park. Walk in to the sound of Rat Pack music classics and take in the ambiance. Our waiter, Michael, cheerfully greeted us. Beyond his attentive service, he was amazingly helpful in giving us recommendations on things to do and places to see while in Hyde Park. He even proudly gave us a mini-tour of the restaurant on our way out. The food was excellent. If you're not a steak person, there are other options. I never order chicken in a restaurant, but the Chicken Marsala on Angel Hair Pasta sounded good... and it turned out to be better than good! It was ample and delicious and had a hint of sweetness. I just couldn't put my fork down. The cosmo scored a perfect 10, although Michael made an alternate specialty cocktail recommendation that was also very good. We didn't make reservations and that was OK on a fairly slow week night. With the high ratings that this restaurant gets, it may be busy on the weekends, so you might consider checking to see if reservations are recommended.

2  Thank travelingfun101
Joseph's S, Owner at Joseph's Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Joseph Steakhouse is about our great dry aged steaks and slow cooked prime rib. But we have a lot of customers that come to Joseph's for our seafood or the Italian and German specialty dishes. Reviews like yours is why we are a lot more than just a steakhouse. Thank you for the nice review. Joseph

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My boyfriend and I celebrated his birthday here. We shared the bone in cowboy rib eye for two, which was excellent! Also, our waiter was really friendly and down to earth. Definitely a restaurant I would go back to and recommend to anyone.

2  Thank jeajacrob

Thank you for having your special evening at Joseph's. A second thank you for the nice review.
Joseph
PS My birthday is a week from today and I plan to celebrate it a Joseph's also.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We arrived late at night during a torrential rainstorm! We were welcomed by a very friendly staff who whisked away our wet coats & umbrellas. Martinis ordered and hot Manhattan Chowder on the way to warm us up, we couldn't get over the fantastic selection of aged Angus beef. They have German & Italian cuisine and lots of seafood choices also. We had the 20oz. Porterhouse steak (which would feed 2 easily) and the beef short tips. To say the meat arrived still sizzling in the pan is an understatement! It was cooked to perfection! It is brought quite rare & continues to cook in front of you to the medium rare request!!! The sides of creamed spinach which comes in a mini stone kettle pot, garlic mashed potatoes and zucchini/carrot stir fry just added to the meal.
Portions were generous. The owner Joseph is very engaging and shared the history of the house when Eleanor Roosevelt owned it. Michael came by our table when he heard we were visiting from Maryland and gave us awesome suggestions of sites to see that are off the beaten path! A moonshine & bourbon distillery for one and walking tours to include the bridge over the Hudson. Ya cannot talk about Moonshine without tasting it..... So Michael whipped up an amazing drink w/French liqueur that smells like the fruit leechi, moonshine & a splash of ginger ale. It was surprisingly delicious! Dessert..... After all that food, we knew they would have amazing desserts and they did. We had a triple layer mousse/cream cheese w/chocolate crust dessert. I wish we could have stayed longer as this is a most unusual restaurant. They are proud of the area and for a traveler, it truly improved the visitor experience for us. We will tell all our friends about this meal. Michael is a part of the experience too!!! A Culinary Institute Graduate, he is very knowledgeable about everything food & drink related!! Make your reservations now!!!

2  Thank kmackel
Joseph's S, Owner at Joseph's Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Thank you for the great review. It is visitors like you that makes our efforts enjoyable. It's reading reviews like this that brings in visitors. Thank you, we are so glad you enjoyed the food & hospitality. Joseph