“Ameri-japanese”

Mizu Sushi
Ranked #10 of 47 Restaurants in Hyde Park
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Thai
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This restaurant was "raved" about, and being a lover of sashimi and other japanese food, we thought we'd give it a go. Bottom line - it's "OK", but caters heavily to an American palate. It's like Amer-Italian food (tastes OK, but nothing like real Italian).

The decor was reasonable. The wait staff seemed over-eager to enquire how everything was - to me, that's not a sign of a "healthy" restaurant. On a Saturday eve, in peak Summer, it was half-empty - also not a good sign.

I ordered a beer, and was given the wrong one (not a big deal, but....). Miso soup was a little light - could have done with a bit more miso in it for my taste. My partner ordered a tempura soft-shell crab as a starter, and got a soft-shell crab that had been panko-crumbed and deep-fried. No tempura batter to be seen anywhere near this shellfish!
Her main was a chefs' special roll - nicely presented, with some soy-sauce art decorating the bulk of the platter, but the roll itself ("Love Ocean") she said was "OK". I had sashimi deluxe. Advertized as having 16 pieces, came with 15. Oh well. 5 different fish (part of my assessment of sashimi in US restaurants is the variety of fish included in a sashimi platter) - a good thing. But all were very mild in flavor, somewhat lacking in the taste characteristics that distinguish one species from another. Maybe it was just the cuts that they got in that day/week?

Lots of "non-traditional" items on the menu, including some Thai dishes - again, a sacrilege in a true Japanese restaurant.

I have definitely had better. Was it bad? No. Was it great? No.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We had dinner here on the recommendation of our bed & breakfast host couple. The food was excellent, the presentation was beautiful, and "Sammy" our waitress was sweet & attentive. The coconut sorbet was simply out of this world.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

The dishes here are more exotic and interesting than some other sushi in the area. Good service, nice decor, pleasant and relaxing atmosphere.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

This is a truly creative and delicious sushi joint. We were in town for two days and liked it so much on Saturday that we went there for lunch on Sunday as well. Very creative special rolls and fresh fish.

1  Thank miller20817
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Mizu Sushi is a wonderful new restaurant in town. The staff is so friendly and accommodating, the sushi is delicious and creative and absolutely artistic. I've been there several times and am surprised and delighted each time. The decor is simple and modern and relaxing. It's easy to forget that it's in a strip mall. They serve wine, sake, and beer. My favorite place to sit is at the sushi bar where I can watch Jackie and Jason and John prepare the sushi.