“Thank You”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hyde Park B&B and Inns
Omaha
“Thank You”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

As a student at the Culinary Institute for a five day boot camp, I was looking for a comfortable place for an extended stay. The location, room, provisions were ll great. What I didn't expect was to meet some really great people.

Valerie quite simply is one of the nicest people I ave ever met, and I also enjoyed getting to know some of the guests at breakfast.

Thanks for a great experience

Dave

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank stephen1
JourneyInn, Owner at Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Such a wonderful thing to hear! Right back at ya - as you were one of the nicest people I have ever met, and our guests would agree. I do love when boot campers join the Inn as you bring so many interesting stories to the breakfast table. You must keep us posted on your culinary pursuits - as I was so impressed with your knowledge and contest winnings! Too much pressure for me at breakfast having all these culinary students - you guys keep me on my toes.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Toronto
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I am late in writing this review. I stayed at the Inn the 2nd week in July when it was 102 degrees in the shade. It was lovely. Perfectly located. Very interesting guests. Great recommendation for dinner at 2Taste. Breakfast was great eating at the table with all the guests. Lively conversation and tips about the area.
Restored my faith in B & B's.
Highly recommend for the area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Better late than never - so thank you so much for your lovely review. It was HOT in early July - and we worked mightily to keep the cool in house. So happy you enjoyed your stay - and as others have offered, to share your enjoyment of our family-style breakfasts. I keep saying it, but it is true - we have such interesting guests and thank you for adding to the joy.
London
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We were so nicely looked after by the wonderful Christine, supported by her delightful daughter. Very nice and clean room.

The house is comfortable and brilliantly located.

Lost a star because no shower gel, soap or shampoo was supplied. Only a hand wash. We have stayed all over the UK and USA in hotels and B&Bs, never had this before. Especially important for overseas visitors, like ourselves. May be a personal thing for us, but we would prefer toiletries to chocolates.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
JourneyInn, Owner at Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
OH my....We DO supply soap, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion - so I am so sorry that you did not have any in your room - it was just an oversight. I wish you had only asked - we must have just forgotten to put it in your room that day. Thank you for letting us know how nice your stay was - and how great Christine and her daughter are - we do have great hosts!
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My wife and I have not been great fans of bed and breakfast inns, (innkeepers who were just a little too enthusiastic; themes that were too "over the top"; houses that were just a little too funky) but decided to try again during a recent visit to the Hudson Valley. Valerie and Eric, new owners of the Journey Inn, have us questioning our prejudices: Their recently acquired B&B is very pleasant. While our room was small by hotel standards, it was comfortable with many thoughtful touches. We had the Mombasa room, which was furnished with just enough interesting artifacts to provide character without eliminating all surface areas necessary for placing ones own articles (though we did chuckle with Valerie how a Mombasa theme tied to the overall theme of an Inn where Roosevelt and Vanderbilt reigned supreme). By contrast, common areas, a large formal living room, and the less formal but equally large family room adjacent to the dining room were spacious and, during our visit, little used by the guests of what seemed to be a full house. The common areas, bedroom and en-suite were impeccably clean.
Valerie was a charming hostess; she was informative and helpful without being invasive. She was particularly attentive about our perceptions of the room temperature; and certainly we had two very comfortable nights. Having traveled extensively, issues of hardness softness of the bed matter little anymore; I'm happy just to be able to sleep horizontal! And, being of a certain age, to be able to sleep at all is really all I ask.
As I said at the outset, my recent experience of B&B's is limited so my basis for comparison on issues of value for money and the "breakfast" (which appears for some potential guests to be the deal maker of breaker) are rather subjective. As a hobby chef, I found the breakfasts to be interesting, tasty and sufficient, though my wife and I typically eat fairly light. The "real" coffee (available after 8.00 am) was excellent. If you are looking for the Vegas style buffet, this is not the place for you. Our prior experience of B&B's has always been about a communal breakfast experience, so I wasn't disappointed. Set for 8.30 am, it certainly allowed for a leisurely start to the day yet allow one to get a jump start on the day's activities. And. as most of the guests at the table during our visit were there to sample the CIA restaurants, it provided a great opportunity to hear feedback about their experiences. (Bocuse appears to be the hot ticket! Book early!) So, to summarize, a hearty "thank you" to Valerie and Eric. I trust this remains a dream come true.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
We want to thank you for such a lovely review! We really do try hard to create a warm inviting Inn without too much "kitch" and doilies - so it is nice to be noticed for the little things we try and bring, and the things we avoid! We did have a full house when you were here, so it is nice to know that the common areas were comfortable and not crowded - we do find that there is always enough space for those who need some time to unwind, read our papers, or catch-up on the news on TV. We truly enjoy offering our services while not being in the way - and yes, this is still a dream come true for us. Hope to see you back and maybe with a dinner at Bocuse the next time.
Philly burbs
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Two nights at this well-run inn, with an enthusiastic new owner, restored our faith in B & Bs. The house exudes a comfortable charm, and is meticulously maintained without being intimidatingly fussy. We liked that our room ("Mombasa") departed from Victorian decor to a sophisticated taupe scheme. The owner puts a lot of care into detail with such things as nightlights, toothbrush holder, hot & cold drinks & cookies, bowls of candy, outside garden retreat, newspaper, beautiful shower soap. The morning self-serve is well designed with fruit in one place and coffee in another. Breakfast at the main table features fruit and an entree which are a little creative but not quite our taste, but the morning discussion was engaging and helpful to plan our days. The location is perfect for touring.

Room Tip: Rooms along Route 9 can be noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
JourneyInn, Owner at Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Your review made us sooo happy. It is such a great feeling and provides such a sense of pride that you had such a nice stay with us. The fact that we "restored your faith in B&Bs" makes us so proud. Yes - I am enthusiastic and enjoy serving our guests so much. It was so wonderful that you noticed all the little things (the details) that we put so much effort into - it really is appreciated. You were both a joy to have and we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! Come back soon.
Isle of pal
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed in The Vanderbilt suite (small compared to our friends who stayed in the other suite) the room was clean, queen bed was comfortable. HOWEVER we were so COLD during the night fortunately the closet had siix quilts and about six blankets. That should have been our first clue! but at 1AM we started adding quilts and with three large quilts we could hardly move. We slept little and were told by the very pleasant helper that the suite cooling system is linked with two other rooms if they are comfortable the Vanderbilt customers are Cold. The owners were on vacation so when we returned home we called expecting an apology and a wee remuneration. They didn't seem to care. For the price we expected comfort not just convenience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elizabeth A
JourneyInn, Owner at Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
We are extremely sorry that your room was too cold and when our Innsitter told us about it, we discussed it with our AC guys because we have never had this problem before. It just seems that that one night the system was possibly turned down too low. The room has not had that problem any other night and has not had that problem since then. I am sorry we were not at the Inn for your stay, but the Inn was in the extremely capable hands of an Innsitter who has worked for the Journey Inn for many years and would have easily rectified the situation if you had simply let her know. As for the characterization of our call – I am quite surprised that you suggest that we did not care – I DID apologize over and over, and honestly did not realize that you were looking for remuneration – as you kept mentioning how nice the stay was and that you didn’t want to bother the Innkeeper that night. I just thought you wanted to make sure that the owner knew of the situation and to make sure our Innkeeper had told us – which is what you said on the call. I wish you had just been more honest with us about why you called – we would have happily provided a discount if you had stated that more clearly. Saying we did not care is not an accurate reflection of the conversation. We care deeply about the comfort of our guests – and we particularly care about the temperature level in our rooms as we always ask our guests when they arrive if the room is comfortable for them and that we will adjust if asked.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My wife, sister and I spent 2 days at the Journey Inn. The breakfasts were delicious, the rooms spotless, comfortable and quiet and the hosts were extremely pleasant. The inn is very conveniently located for touring. It is literally across the road from the Vanderbilt Mansion and just a couple miles from Hyde Park. I would strongly encourage you to stay at the inn.

Room Tip: If you have trouble on the stairs, there are one or two rooms on the ground floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for such a lovely review. We so enjoyed talking to you, Patricia, and Joan. Great talking about growing up in NYC and how things have changed over the years. I seem to recall that this was a birthday gift and I am so happy that you all enjoyed the trip so much. It makes us feel so good when we have happy guests. Thank you!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyde Park
Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie
Quality Inn Hyde Park
Quality Inn Hyde Park
#2 of 4 in Hyde Park

Been to Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!