“Planning a return visit!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast

Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 6 Hyde Park B&B and Inns
New York
“Planning a return visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2008

For my boyfriend's 40th birthday I suprised him with a weekend in the Hudson Valley and chose Journey Inn because of the favorable reviews. He and I were just delighted!! The inn is warm and comfortable and Michelle and Diane were as friendly as they were knowledgeable about area attractions and restaurants. We stayed in the English Garden suite which while very spacious, felt cozy and inviting. The breakfast we ate each morning was scrumptious and would rival a meal produced by the Culinary Institute down the road. Overall, we couldn't have been happier with our stay and are already planning a return trip next year.

• Liked — Warm and comfortable with a balance between privacy and mingling.
  • Disliked — No television in room, but not that disappointed.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2008

Just spent a midweek getaway with my husband in the Hudson Valley. I came upon this B&B online and it looked charming in the pictures. It is more than charming once you arrive. Diane and Michelle are the innkeepers/owners and wonderful hostesses. They provided excellent suggestions for antiqueing, restaurants and fun things to do. They were very warm and inviting as is their home. The English Country Suite was charming and had a lovely sitting area for relaxing. This is one of the cleanest B&Bs I've been to--the room and bathroom were spotless. I was very impressed with the cleanliness as well as the attention to details in decorating the room. The breakfast room and den area were very warm and inviting. A great place to relax, have a cup of tea, meet other guests, or look through menus of the area restaurants. Many excellent choices--the Artist's Palate was great as was the CIA. A great place for a culinary get away! I would highly recommend this property.

• Liked — The room, breakfast and innkeepers
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2007

My wife and I made our first trip to the Hudson River Valley area last week. The beauty of the area, especially in autumn, and the history represented there made it one of our better trips ever. Adding to our enjoyment was the inviting atmosphere and ambiance we found at The Journey Inn. It is a class operation and epitomizes what b&b's are all about.
Sisters Dianne and Michelle spread their warm hospitality and culinary skills to create a "homey" atmosphere, from the introductory tour to the large dining table set for family-style gourmet breakfasts and featuring the bounty of the fall harvest. To top it all off, they presented guests with a packet of their favorite recipes, before we could even ask for them!

Stayed October 2007
Rutherford, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2007

My boyfriend and I were going to the Omega Institute for a seminar in nearby Rhinebeck NY, and I didn't care for the accomodations on Omega's grounds so I looked for something nearby. I did a search for B & B's in the area and looked at a few and kept going back to the Journey Inn's website. I called the property and spoke with one of the lovely sisters who run the property and booked a weekend in the Kyoto room.

It was a wonderful stay, the B & B is beautifully decorated, all the rooms were themed differently and with much attention to detail.

The hosts Diane and Michele were charming and warm and gave great ideas on where to see locally and where to eat. I wish we had had more time to see more! Even though we didn't have time to enjoy breakfast with the other guests of the hotel, there are rave reviews about the breakfasts on here. We did get to sample the blueberry muffins which were absolutely delicious!!

The Kyoto Room is cozy and quiet and even though the bathroom is a step away in the hall, it was immaculate and spacious.

I highly recommend staying at the Journey Inn if you come to the Hyde Park area. It's moderately priced and worth every penny.

And if you're in the mood for some great food, try Twist Restaurant down the main street, we had the best steaks ever there!

When you go, tell the lovely ladies at the Journey Inn Kristy sent you!!! :)

• Liked — The cleanliness of the rooms and the decorating
  • Disliked — Can't think of a thing!!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2007

Last December I decided to bring my long term girlfriend up to the Hudson Valley to propose to her. Needless to say, I wanted the weekend to be perfect. I searched long and hard for a quality B&B near the Culinary Institute that was in my price range, and The Journey Inn seemed to fit the bill. Initially attracted by its endorsement on the Culinary Institute website, I brought the Journey Inn's homepage up. It is well designed, an the pictures accurately reflect the setting. (The one thing I do notice about pictures of accommodation interiors is that rooms often seem smaller in person than they do in photos: the Kyoto Room, in which we stayed, is cozy. Some of the other rooms are a bit, well, roomier.)

I made my reservation by phone with one of the two owner/operator sisters, who was very kind .. and curious, when I told her I was going to propose. She phoned back the day we were scheduled to arrive, just to check on what time we'd be getting in. We were coming up from NYC, and we arrived late, which was not a problem.

The B&B is a renovated home originally built for a large family about forty or fifty years ago, hence the large number of bedrooms. All rooms are on the second story. The bigger rooms are beautiful (we were given a full tour), and seem lovely if you can afford it, and want to stay in bed for half the day. The English Country Suite is particularly cute, and large. The smaller rooms (the more modest price tags) are attentively furnished and serve the purpose if you're not going to use them for more than sleeping. Comfortable, cute, but a bit tight.

While the hallway is a little tight as well, the rooms seem far apart from each other . . . there were two other couples staying there during the same weekend, and we barley knew they were there in the evenings. There's a small community fridge for wine or champagne,
and the owners provided a champagne bucket with ice . . . which came in handy for me. Come to think of it, the owners were there with pretty much everything I needed.

On the ground floor, there is a comfortable sitting area with a modest library and a fairly broad selection of literature on the mansions and other area attractions. There is a broad dining room with a large table that seats twelve, where all the meals are served.
The meals take their cue from the cuisine of the region: local, seasonally appropriate produce and meats are used. I remember a delicious frittata dish from one morning. A candied pear for the breakfast's "dessert", with a suggested creme fraiche on the side. Some sort of fruit syrup another morning. The food was all high quality and thoughtfully prepared; it went beyond typical B&B morning fare, with attentive touches to taste and plating presentation. Well done, ladies.

One the subject of area attractions, the owners are very knowledgeable: they suggested the best times to go to which estates, and I overhead them recommending several destinations for antiquing to another couple. They are very, very sweet and will tell you everything you want to know about the area if you get them going.

Their restaurant recommendations were also incredible: for a modern, well crafted and creative dining option, go to Twist, right down the road. Amazing food.

There are few drawbacks to this place. It's great value for the money, especially for the smaller rooms. For $30 more per night than the cheapest hotels down in Poughkeepsie, you get all the charm and great food. Gets my top recommendation.

• Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank chmazura
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2007

Because of all the good reviews at this web site we stayed here. We were not disappointed one bit. Rooms were charming and spotless. Breakfast was delicious and Michele and Diane are a delight. Great location across from Vanderbilt, near FDR home and CIA. Definitely do the tour of CIA and have a snack at the Apple Pie Cafe. Dinner can be uneven but would try again at another restaurant. American Bounty's entrees were not good and make sure you ask about the prix fixe.

• Liked — Location, charm and cleanliness
  • Disliked — no tv in room
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank micheleg
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2007

My g/f and I stayed at Journey Inn as a getaway from NYC. We were greeted by the owners (sisters) who were very attentive and genuinely kind. In fact, they rang us while we were driving up out of fear that we had gotten lost! They welcomed us in and gave us a tour of the entire B&B. The entire place was absolutely spotless that the toilet sparkled! We stayed in the Mombasa room, which has a Kenyan safari-like theme (tastefully done) and loved it. The only negative point is that they only serve breakfast at one time: 8.30AM! Way too early......well, maybe not for everyone, but perhaps 8.30-10AM would be better. However, those sisters can cook, because breakfast was delicous! The B&B is perfectly located near the CIA and across from the Vanderbilt Mansion. We loved our stay there and definitely recommend it for others.

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn & Suites At the Falls
Hampton Inn Kingston
Hampton Inn Kingston
#1 of 10 in Kingston

Been to Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!