“If you stay in Hyde Park, The Journey Inn is THE place to stay!!”

Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 6 Hyde Park B&B and Inns
Rutherford, NJ
“If you stay in Hyde Park, The Journey Inn is THE place to stay!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2007

My boyfriend and I were going to the Omega Institute for a seminar in nearby Rhinebeck NY, and I didn't care for the accomodations on Omega's grounds so I looked for something nearby. I did a search for B & B's in the area and looked at a few and kept going back to the Journey Inn's website. I called the property and spoke with one of the lovely sisters who run the property and booked a weekend in the Kyoto room.

It was a wonderful stay, the B & B is beautifully decorated, all the rooms were themed differently and with much attention to detail.

The hosts Diane and Michele were charming and warm and gave great ideas on where to see locally and where to eat. I wish we had had more time to see more! Even though we didn't have time to enjoy breakfast with the other guests of the hotel, there are rave reviews about the breakfasts on here. We did get to sample the blueberry muffins which were absolutely delicious!!

The Kyoto Room is cozy and quiet and even though the bathroom is a step away in the hall, it was immaculate and spacious.

I highly recommend staying at the Journey Inn if you come to the Hyde Park area. It's moderately priced and worth every penny.

And if you're in the mood for some great food, try Twist Restaurant down the main street, we had the best steaks ever there!

When you go, tell the lovely ladies at the Journey Inn Kristy sent you!!! :)

• Liked — The cleanliness of the rooms and the decorating
  • Disliked — Can't think of a thing!!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2007

Last December I decided to bring my long term girlfriend up to the Hudson Valley to propose to her. Needless to say, I wanted the weekend to be perfect. I searched long and hard for a quality B&B near the Culinary Institute that was in my price range, and The Journey Inn seemed to fit the bill. Initially attracted by its endorsement on the Culinary Institute website, I brought the Journey Inn's homepage up. It is well designed, an the pictures accurately reflect the setting. (The one thing I do notice about pictures of accommodation interiors is that rooms often seem smaller in person than they do in photos: the Kyoto Room, in which we stayed, is cozy. Some of the other rooms are a bit, well, roomier.)

I made my reservation by phone with one of the two owner/operator sisters, who was very kind .. and curious, when I told her I was going to propose. She phoned back the day we were scheduled to arrive, just to check on what time we'd be getting in. We were coming up from NYC, and we arrived late, which was not a problem.

The B&B is a renovated home originally built for a large family about forty or fifty years ago, hence the large number of bedrooms. All rooms are on the second story. The bigger rooms are beautiful (we were given a full tour), and seem lovely if you can afford it, and want to stay in bed for half the day. The English Country Suite is particularly cute, and large. The smaller rooms (the more modest price tags) are attentively furnished and serve the purpose if you're not going to use them for more than sleeping. Comfortable, cute, but a bit tight.

While the hallway is a little tight as well, the rooms seem far apart from each other . . . there were two other couples staying there during the same weekend, and we barley knew they were there in the evenings. There's a small community fridge for wine or champagne,
and the owners provided a champagne bucket with ice . . . which came in handy for me. Come to think of it, the owners were there with pretty much everything I needed.

On the ground floor, there is a comfortable sitting area with a modest library and a fairly broad selection of literature on the mansions and other area attractions. There is a broad dining room with a large table that seats twelve, where all the meals are served.
The meals take their cue from the cuisine of the region: local, seasonally appropriate produce and meats are used. I remember a delicious frittata dish from one morning. A candied pear for the breakfast's "dessert", with a suggested creme fraiche on the side. Some sort of fruit syrup another morning. The food was all high quality and thoughtfully prepared; it went beyond typical B&B morning fare, with attentive touches to taste and plating presentation. Well done, ladies.

One the subject of area attractions, the owners are very knowledgeable: they suggested the best times to go to which estates, and I overhead them recommending several destinations for antiquing to another couple. They are very, very sweet and will tell you everything you want to know about the area if you get them going.

Their restaurant recommendations were also incredible: for a modern, well crafted and creative dining option, go to Twist, right down the road. Amazing food.

There are few drawbacks to this place. It's great value for the money, especially for the smaller rooms. For $30 more per night than the cheapest hotels down in Poughkeepsie, you get all the charm and great food. Gets my top recommendation.

• Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank chmazura
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2007

Because of all the good reviews at this web site we stayed here. We were not disappointed one bit. Rooms were charming and spotless. Breakfast was delicious and Michele and Diane are a delight. Great location across from Vanderbilt, near FDR home and CIA. Definitely do the tour of CIA and have a snack at the Apple Pie Cafe. Dinner can be uneven but would try again at another restaurant. American Bounty's entrees were not good and make sure you ask about the prix fixe.

• Liked — Location, charm and cleanliness
  • Disliked — no tv in room
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank micheleg
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2007

My g/f and I stayed at Journey Inn as a getaway from NYC. We were greeted by the owners (sisters) who were very attentive and genuinely kind. In fact, they rang us while we were driving up out of fear that we had gotten lost! They welcomed us in and gave us a tour of the entire B&B. The entire place was absolutely spotless that the toilet sparkled! We stayed in the Mombasa room, which has a Kenyan safari-like theme (tastefully done) and loved it. The only negative point is that they only serve breakfast at one time: 8.30AM! Way too early......well, maybe not for everyone, but perhaps 8.30-10AM would be better. However, those sisters can cook, because breakfast was delicous! The B&B is perfectly located near the CIA and across from the Vanderbilt Mansion. We loved our stay there and definitely recommend it for others.

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2006

My husband and I loved the Journey Inn. The rooms are newly renovated and charmingly decorated, the owners are very friendly and accomodating, breakfast is delicious and the property is very well-located.

Stayed November 2006
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2006

We enjoyed our 4 day stay at this inn. It is very convenient to the Hyde Park sights. The atmosphere is very homey with lots of books on local places and newspapers as well as an inobstrusive television [none in the rooms]. We felt right at home. Coffee, tea, cold drinks and snacks for the taking anytime and very good, creative breakfasts at a friendly table for 10. The owners are very informative-offering information to help you plan your day. They are very warm and personable. Be sure to tour the Culinary Institute-reservations required and have a meal or two there. The only thing that was difficult about staying here was having to arrive between 4-6 p.m. You can make different arrangements buy we did manage to get there on time. I can understand that this isn't like a hotel-they can't be checking guests in morning, night and noon.

• Liked — Breakfasts and the owners and the beautiful view out the rear dining area
  • Disliked — Having to arrive at a set time
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2006

This B&B is run by two sisters who moved up from New York. It's very well located: you can walk across the street to walk around on the grounds of one of the major mansions, and it's within blocks of the downtown. The smell of baking each afternoon, the fresh cookies and the wonderful breakfast were all high lights. The rooms were immaculate and pleasantly decorated: our bed was nice and firm and comfortable.

The breakfast is all at one table, which makes it easy to chat with your fellow travellers, but not good for those who want more privacy. I really enjoyed it.

They had a number of handy extras: good public spaces, refridgerator for the guest's beverages, etc., NY times and local newspapers.

• Liked — Great combo of comfort, romance and friendliness
  • Disliked — Having to send a check to make reservation.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't miss the Roosevelt presidential library and home.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank gettin_there
Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie
Quality Inn Hyde Park
Quality Inn Hyde Park
#2 of 4 in Hyde Park

Been to Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!