“Can't get enough of their sandwiches”
Review of Ike's lair

Ike's lair
Ranked #47 of 144 Restaurants in Danville
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The first time I tried Ike's was in their branch inside Stanford. I was initially skeptical with news that the wait time for a sandwich would be upwards of an hour. Being mainly a rice eater, I was very impatient by the time I got my order (maybe 90 minutes later). and Yes.....I wasn't disappointed. The wait was very much worth it and I couldn't wait to try it again. In my last visit to California, I initially thought I'd have to go to Stanford (or their Castro branch) and a good surprise was their opening of many stores in the area.
The Danville store allows you to order in advance through their iPhone/facebook App. Since the app was down during our intended visit, we went directly to the store and was just prepared to fall in line. Our order was processed and sandwiches in hand within 15 minutes even if it was at lunchtime on a Friday. The sandwich (Madison Bumgarner) was superb, served on Dutch Crunch and with dirty sauce. The rib eye on the sandwich was very tasty and the servings were quite big (good for sharing if you are not too hungry). I also tried their bottled ginger ale and it was very interesting. All in all, this visit made me want to come back soon to try at least 2 more sandwiches (I did the next day and also liked their Shawn Michaels and another sandwich with had Fried chicken for the meat). Don't forget to get their free caramel apple lollipop which serves as a good finish to a very tasty meal.

Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

It has everything you could ask for in a sandwich it may even feed a family of four all by itself! What a sandwich just devious and not on the menu! Shhh it's a secret! Enjoy!!!

1  Thank Joseamel
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Ike's is a great new place in downtown Danville -- right next to the post office. They offer a huge variety of sandwiches, which are good quality and very tasty. They are all unique, not your run-of-the-mill deli sandwich. The place is clean, and the employees all wear gloves. The manager came out and introduced himself to us, explained the different menu options and then gave us each a free bag of chips as a welcome to first-time customers. We love the sandwiches and will definitely be back!

Reviewed 1 February 2013

Ike's lair
Context: after reading glowing reviews of this local sandwich chain, we decided to try it out for lunch. I did try to order ahead online from my iPad but it didn't work. We ended up driving up there, arriving about 11am on a Saturday.
Atmosphere: place is small with a few tables. You order at the counter and then wait for the sandwiches to be prepared. There was no line while we were there, just one order ahead of us, and we were told it would take ten minutes. Place has the feel of a chain without much character. Boxes of dirty chops are stacked along the walls and there are a few posters and a chalk board menu but that's it for the decor. We took our sandwiches to go but there are a few tables.
Service: server was competent though not particularly friendly. She enters your order in the computer, you get to chose a bread, wheat, sour dough, Dutch crunch, and toppings, tomato, lettuce, pickles, banana peppers, red onions. She takes your name, and you wait.
Food: the menu is about 30 sandwich combos, dirty chips, sodas, including a few unusual bottled. You can design your own, or order one of the many already designed ones. There are five meats: turkey, ham, pastrami, roast beef and sliced rib eye. They also have all beef meatballs and veggie and vegan options. We ordered three to try a variety. We got the meatball with cheese, the rib eye with onion rings, and the pastrami with cole slaw and French dressing. Pastrami was great, a decent amount of meat, sloppy dressing on a Dutch bun. Meatball was just a bit sweet, would have liked some hot sauce to dampen that, bit of sauce but not messy. We had it on the wheat bun and it went well. The least appealing was the steak. We couldn't even taste the meat, the onion ring was cold and fatty and it felt like we were eating lettuce and bananas peppers on a bun. I will go back, but these are not gargantuan sandwiches and they do not have a lot of meat. Prices felt a bit steep. Our three sandwiches fed three adults with a half left over. They are served warm, cut on half and wrapped in paper. They also come with a lollipop.