“Hours posted are a LIE!!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Price range: US$5 - US$10
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout
Jacksonville, Florida
“Hours posted are a LIE!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Have eaten here and loved the food. Wanted to go for dinner on Saturday, January 3rd 2014 for dinner. Went online about 9 pm to check days and hours of operation. Hours on their website said 10am-10pm for Saturdays. My husband, daughter and I drove over, got there around 9:20pm, lights were on "OPEN" sign was lit up, so we go in, the guy at register looks up surprised and slightly annoyed. I ask are you still open, he says "Uh, yes". We walk over and look over menu. He goes and speaks with person in kitchen, then proceeds to tell us the kitchen is shut down and we can only choose from items still available on cold bar (some spaces were empty). We say nevermind and wander out the door disappointed. Get in the car at 9:28pm and watch the guy walk over lock the door and turn off open sign.

Apparently they need to change the times posted on the front door,( I checked as we walked in and it too said they were open until 10pm.) and online

Very disappointed!!! Not sure I will return, there are a number of Mediterranean restaurants in Jacksonville, not to mention immediate area, that we can choose from.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Jacksonville, Florida
“Great for Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Fast, easy and healthy with a smile from the owners who also tend to serve during busy lunch hours. They have amazing varieties of greek salads, wraps and more. Most combo meals include a wrap of your choice, 2 sides, pita chips and a drink for $8.00. Enjoy!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Emma M
“Authentic and Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

I have visited Hovan with family and friends numerous times in the past couple of years. Not only are the staff very friendly; but the atmosphere is very relaxing. There are seating outside or inside. Since it is located at the Historic 5 points, I recommend sitting outside on nice days. There's a lot to see while eating while your party enjoys the authentic dishes prepped by this family.

The prices are excellent considering food of this quality is hard to come by. The portions are generous and there's plenty to share. My friends and I usually order the 5 piece combo and choose from a variety of appetizers to share.

If you enjoy Hookah and good music while sipping on some wine or imported beer, then this is the place to be. My only regret is that they are closed on Sundays.

If you live in Jacksonville or are just visiting, I would add this to your Top 10 places to eat.

• Visited April 2013
Titusville, FL
“fresh and tasty food, friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

My mom and I stopped here for an early dinner during a day trip to Jacksonville. It is nothing fancy - the decor is simple, the food is served fast-food style (not formal sit-down), and the menu is basic Mediterranean fare. But the food tastes SO good. Everything is super fresh and loaded with flavor. The tomatoes taste like they were grown locally and never had to get sprayed with that stuff that goes on supermarket tomatoes. The hummus is terrific - it's got a great little kick from the lemon juice, not too much, just right. And the meat, veggies, and pita bread are all fresh and delicious. My mom and I stuffed our faces like we hadn't eaten all day, and we were very disappointed when we were finally too full to eat any more. The prices are small and the portions are large, and the manager and staff were all friendly. We will definitely go here again the next time we go to Jacksonville.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Georgia
“Love their Hovan Rolls”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

I discovered Hovan Rolls in Atlanta at Lenox Mall back in the late 80's-early 90's. I have been a fan ever since. However, they don't have any restaurants close to me so when I saw that Jacksonville has a Hovan Mediterranean restaurant I was so excited. This one will not disappoint. You must try the Vegetarian Hovan Roll. I've tried to recreate this at home but it's just not the same. Staff/owners are very nice here. The area is nice too - funky little shops to visit.

• Visited October 2012