“Delicious Thai Cuisine”
Review of Green Papaya

Green Papaya
Ranked #17 of 2,038 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Birmingham, AL
“Delicious Thai Cuisine”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My husband and I were on our way to Amelia Island and stopped for the night close to the Jacksonville Airport. We read reviews on nearby restaurants and decided to have dinner at the Green Papaya. We made an excellent choice. The food was delicious and the service was exemplary! Our server, Veronica, was delightful. We enjoyed the entire experience and would urge anyone who finds themselves close to the Jacksonvillle airport, to enjoy a meal at the Green Papaya! You won't be disappointed!

Lagos, Nigeria
“Not really Thai Food…but efficient service and nice atmosphere”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My son and I made plans to eat at the Green Papaya based on the terrific reviews we read, even diverting our road trip by an hour to enjoy Thai food. While the service is great and the restaurant clean and attractive the food is not authentically Thai as based on our experience of travelling to Thailand annually since 2007.

My son enjoyed his pad Thai, as far as authenticity; I'd give it an 80%; the noodles were not the same ones typically used in this dish. I ordered Thai Vegetable Soup, the Som Tam (Green Papaya Salad) and their special Amazing Curry.

Som Tam is a personal favorite and their version had little resemblance to this famous Thai dish. There were no peanuts, and even the menu says their version has peanuts. Normally there will be tomatoes and oftentimes long beans and Thai basil. I couldn't taste any lime, though the menu says it is in the recipe. I asked the waitress about the lack of tomatoes and peanuts and she said they were 'in the sauce'. They were NOT in the sauce. The flavor was overwhelmed with fish sauce and again little hint of lime. The chili was about right. This was the biggest disappointment of our meal.

Since The Amazing Curry is heavy with the peanuts and coconut milk, I'd opted for a light soup for my son and I to share. The Thai Vegetable soup should have fit the bill, described on the menu as mixed green vegetables in lemongrass tamarind broth. There was NO lemongrass in the bowl and if tamarind was present, I couldn't taste any. On the positive side, the vegetables were not over cooked and of a nice variety. I enjoyed the soup despite it having no resemblance to what was advertised.

The Amazing Curry is as described in the menu. The flavor was good, but way too much sauce. It is a very heavy dish, so if you order it, be prepared.

We tried the Mango Sticky Rice for dessert. Their version took a good stab at this Thai specialty, but the mangos should have been in much thicker slices. I would have preferred more of the nice sweet and salty coconut sauce. Again on this one, for authentic Thai flavor, I'd give it an 80%.

If you are not fussed about your meal being truly Thai, you will probably enjoy the Green Papaya as the wait staff is efficient and friendly and the restaurant clean with nice atmosphere. As for me, my taste buds will keep searching in Jacksonville for Thai food as it should be.

Sarasota, Florida
“Great fusion Thai food w/ many Veg Options ”
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I had cashew nut tofu with veg spring rolls medium spicy it was fresh and delectable. The fried tofu was my favorite. The calamari was excellent - my only concern was service but they were really busy and they just opened so I gave them a pass

Tip Lunch ends at 2:30

bonita springs
“gem in a shopping center”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The food is great. The staff are pleasant and very attentive. They appear happy to work in the restaurant, and they are enthusiastic about helping the customers. We ordered a curry dish asking for it to be mild. We got it mild, and it tasted great. The ambience is auite upscale. The cheff/owner came out to see how we liked the food. He was great to talk too also.

• Visited June 2014
“Good Hardworking People . . . .”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

. . . dedicated to the success of their restaurant is what I saw. On our overnight stay in Jacksonville, my wife and I might have eaten at one of the corporate restaurants that dot the shopping malls and freeway interchange across the land - restaurants you have been in hundreds of times at hundreds of locations, and you have the menus pretty well memorized. Instead, we chose the Green Papaya, based on the favorable Trip Advisor reviews - and we are glad we did.
The restaurant is spacious and tastefully appointed. Kevin, the chef, came to our table to explain to my wife (a timid eater) about the different levels of seasoning and curry sauces available. My wife ended up ordering a tofu entree containing no curry. For me, there were lots of good choices on the menu - I could have thrown a dart at the menu and chosen wherever the point landed. I ordered the duck with red curry. My wife insisted we have the vegetarian egg rolls appetizer - though the (non-vegetarian) spring rolls at a nearby table looked better to me. The visual presentation of our meals was picture perfect - almost hated to disarrange it with my fork. The quantity of meat in my entree was generous. Both Kevin and our server stopped at our table several times during our meal. Our server fixed up a nice take home carton for our leftovers.
My wife and I enjoyed our experience at the Green Papaya. We hope to return.