“Excellent Place To Stay”

TownePlace Suites Jacksonville Butler Boulevard
Ranked #43 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Hoover, Alabama
“Excellent Place To Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2012

We stayed here four nights in early November and thought the staff and room were outstanding. The previous two nights we stayed at a beach hotel and wanted to find somewhere less expensive. When we arrived, the desk clerk took the time to show us three different room types. All the rooms were well maintained and clean. We decided on a two bedroom suite. It was nicely decorated and there was even an oven in the kitchen. It felt more like a condo with maid service. The breakfast was fresh each morning, the lobby and hallways were clean, and every member of the staff was friendly and helpful. On our last day, we had an 11 a.m. appointment at Mayo Clinic, so there was no way we could make the 12 p.m. check-out. Once again, a staff member kindly worked with us and extended our check-out time to 2 p.m.
Now, I would like to address some of the issues others raised. First, please don't blame Marriott for the "smelly" water. I have been to Florida many times, and the water at many hotels, condos, theme parks, etc. smells like sulfur. That is just Florida water. Second, you cannot always blame housekeeping for dirty dishes in the cabinet. Sometimes, guests will clean and put up their own dishes. Stainless steel pots and pans need an additional cleaning agent such as Cameo to come out squeaky clean. I try and take a bottle of this whenever I am staying somewhere with a kitchen.
Third, we all thought the beds were quite comfortable. If we are ever in Jacksonville again, we will definitely stay here. It is like a new hotel with a great staff, large rooms, and great price.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 815kim
Danielle G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Jacksonville Butler Boulevard, responded to this review, 6 December 2012
Wow! Thank you, thank you for your 5 star review! I appreciate all of the kinds words you had for the TownePlace Suites. You are correct, lol, the water in Florida is pretty brutal! However, you were very kind regarding the dishes in the cabinet. While mistakes do happen we strive to make every guest experience flawless so I can guarantee you this will also be used as a training experience. My team and I try to make sure we can acocmadate each guest depending on their individual needs so we were happy to extend your checkout time. We hope to see you again and if your are in the area please stop in and say Hello!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

Excellent long term and short stay in this modern TownePlace with a great staff. Easy access to I95 and Jacksonville. Great rate, excellent Queen Suite room with plenty of room, and kitchen to support all my cooking needs. My strongest recommendation for a short or long term stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Danielle G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Jacksonville Butler Boulevard, responded to this review, 2 December 2012
Bruce,

Thank you so much for your kind words. It was an honor to have you stay with us, you were a wonderful guest! I am glad we were able to make your stay with us enjoyable and we were delighted you gave us the opportunity to get to know you. Please stop in and see us next time you are in the Jacksonville area, we would love to see you!

SIncerely,
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

We recently stayed here on a holiday weeked after the AC broke at our house. We got a two bedroom suite. It was reasonably priced, but was a good example of "you get what you pay for." I am a Marriott Gold member so I stay at their properties frequently and this was well below the quality that am used to. The building is very cheaply constructed. The hallways reminded me of a college dorm and there was no AC in them. The room finishes were adequate, but of low quality, and the beds were not particularly comfortable. We had an accessible room and the shower would never shut off entirely. We made it through the first night and then had what was certainly the worst Marriott breakfast that we have ever experienced. My microwave sausage biscuit tasted like it was several years old and most everything else was unappealing. We considered changing hotels, but decided to just grin and bear it since we were only going to be in the room to sleep. We were gone all day and then got back to the room around 5. The room was a little warm so I lowered the thermostat and closed the curtains to shut out the sun. After about an hour the room did not seem to be getting any cooler. I checked the thermostat and the temperature had actually rised 2 degrees. I called the front desk and was informed that they did not have any mainteance personnel on duty, but that they would try to get someone there the next night. I asked to change rooms, but was told that no other two bedroom units were available. When the temperature continued to rise my wife called and complained again. She was told that nothing could be done so we decided to leave. To give the desk clerk credit, he did check other nearby Marriott properties and called us back to offer an alternative, but not have them had large units either. I went online and found one myself, so we checked out. They did credit us for both nights stays (I would have been on the phone to the corporate office the next day if they did not), but this is a property that should not have a Marriott flag until some upgrades can be made. I would certainly never stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
I am so very very sorry for the experience you had while staying with us. It is completely unexcusable that you had to endure customer service of that level and I can assure you that we have taken every opportunity to use you feedback to make our team better. It must have been very inconvenient to deal with the air conditioner problems especially here in Jaccksonville where it seems to be perpetually hot. We have made some very positive changes within our hotel and I hope that you will give us a second chance. Please rach out to me so that we may discuss some of your concerns a little further. As always Thank You so very much for being a Marriott Rewards Member.
Baltimore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

We stayed here for one night on the way to Clearwater. I must say, I was quite disappointed in this hotel. It felt (and looked) like the entire hotel needed a good cleaning, and a significant upgrade in vaccuums. The hallways, stairwells, and elevator looked like they hadn't been vaccummed in awhile-- there was a lot of dirt, dust, and grass everywhere. In our room, the sofa was stained, and there were pieces of dry dog food on the floor near the cabinet. Molding and corners were really gross- looked like long-time need for cleaning. I was really surprised, since this is a Marriott property and we generally have good luck with the brand.
The hotel is isolated-- the only food is order-in, or an Applebee's close by. We ordered pizza from Papa John's...The sister property near the airport looked like there was more around it, and if we had to stay in the area again, we'd choose that area over Butler.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Danielle G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Jacksonville Butler Boulevard, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
I would like to sincerely apologize for the bad experience you had at our property. We try to make each and every guest experience a great one and the fact that were did not do that for you is less than acceptable. The items you found in your room were completely unacceptable, by no means a plausible excuse however the public areas in the hotel were due to a sports team that we had at our property that weekend. We just couldn't seem to keep up with the grass and such that they were tracking in the hotel from the field. As far as the food goes there are several restaraunts choices across the street from the hotel which the front desk should have made you aware of such as Zaxbys, McDonalds, Jimmy Johns, Taco Del Mar, Sushi Factory, Starbucks, Chicfila, Sonic, Wendy's just to name a few. I sure wish we could convince you to come and give us a second chance, I assure you that what you experienced that weekend is not how our property operates. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this further, I would love to get some more feedback from you :)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

Just off 95 easy on and off.plenty of places to eat. Rooms are very clean and spacious. Staff very pleasant. Can't go wrong here.I have stayed here numerous times while traveling and have never been disappointed with quality.

• Stayed August 2012
I am so very glad to hear that you have had continuous enjoyable stays at our property. I would love to get the chance to meet you next time you are visiting Jacksonville. Please stop in and say Hello! and Thank You very much for your business.

Santa Barbara, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed at Towneplace while in town for a reunion and found the room in excellent condition and very clean.The staff were friendly and accommodating and we were very happy with the place in every regard.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Danielle G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Jacksonville Butler Boulevard, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am really glad you guys enjoyed yourselves at the reunion :) We hope to see you again next time you visit Jacksonille!
Fleming Island, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

I was in Jacksonville on business. I had my son and my parents decided to meet me there as well. For the four of us, we booked a two room suite. Check-in was easy enough and the lobby was nice and clean. The front staff was very nice. We got to our room and it was very pleasing to the eye. The room overlooked the pool. The kitchen was right there when you walked in. The kitchen had full size appliances along with the basics. The sitting room was comfortable with a large table for 4. The first bedroom was very small and narrow but it served its purpose. The second bedroom was larger/roomier. There was only 1 bathroom which was large but smelled strongly of mildew. This was a problem. I know Florida is a breeding ground for mold but this was too strong, as in not tended to for awhile. As our stay progressed, we started having issues. The dishwasher was broken. To boot, there was VERY old standing water with dirty dishes from the previous occupants in the dishwasher. There were ants living in and around the dshwasher as well. Three of the four lights in the kitchen area were burnt out and the A/C in the smaller of the bedrooms smelled of wet dog. When we took showers, the water was warm at the most and smelled funny. The hotel was quick to get an engineer in our room to try to fix the problems but he said from the looks of it, the room hadn't been occupied in awhile which in my mind yelled, "Housekeeping has not step foot in this room in at least a week." I was actually saddened by these unfortunate events rather than upset. I really liked the staff at this hotel and I know, this hotel is better than the room we stayed in. I think with all the problems we brought to their attention, they will be more vigilant in the future. All of the staff was so kind and we ended up with 2 free nights. Funny thing, I would return to this hotel because I honestly think it was a freak accident.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank casmith_93035
Danielle G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Jacksonville Butler Boulevard, responded to this review, 3 June 2012
I am truly so sorry for the experience you had at our property. I can assure you it was an isolated incident and we have rectified every issue you had discussed with us in the room. I would really love if you could give us try in the future and allow us the opportunity to prove to you that we are a much better hotel than what we represented to you on your visit. Please feel free to contact me should you want to speak with me regarding your recent stay.