“A nightmare stay!!”

Ranked #38 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Boston, Massachusetts
“A nightmare stay!!”
Reviewed 30 August 2010

I was on a three month project in Jacksonville and thought it would be to stay in a hotel with a kitchen so that I could "eat in" occasionally instead of eating in restaurants continuously and worrying about my wait. The Towneplace Suites just off Butler Blvd. in Jacksonville looked to be a good place to try and accomplish that goal. I booked a room there for the first four weekly trips. The first two went well and then I had this experience. I arrived late one evening and checked into my room. I had a decent nights sleep and went to work the next day. Upon my return, I was unable to get back into my room. When I went down to the desk, I learned that another guest had been checked into my room, and I was listed as a no show. The hotel sent the other guest to another room. I was given new keys and went back upstairs to see that the other guest had gone through all of my belongings and stolen from me. In addition, because I was a "no show" my room was not cleaned. I reported the theft to the front desk. The next day, my room again went unserviced - there were fresh towels left, but nothing else had been done to the room. When I inquired about the room not being serviced, I was told the housekeeping staff must have been short-handed. When I checked out of the hotel, I asked for call from the manager to discuss my stay. No one called. I called and spoke with the assistant manager who told me that my issues we "minor". I did get an email from the manager 10 days after my stay, in an effort to satisfy my complaint. I have since responded with two emails, two voice messages and two in-person visits to the hotel and have yet to speak with the manager and resolve this issue - 45 days later. The facilities at this hotel are adequate for a property in this class; however the management apparently doesn't really care about their guests. My recommendation, stay next door at the Extended Stay America, Red Roof Inn or the Marriott Courtyard nearby - but don't stay here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank prandlesc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 July 2010

Arrived for an extended business stay in Jacksonville, Florida. Our company normally places us in a standard hotel but do to my length of stay I opted for a suite hotel with a full kitchen. Upon entry to the parking lot of this facility I could tell this place would be something special. The area was very clean, very neat and meticulously maintained. Upon entry to the lobby I was greeted by friendly staff and a unique lobby decor. I secured my key and proceeded to the room. I entered a found a very well appointed kitchen area and very clean. The living room had a large flat screen TV with a very comfortable couch and lounge chair with automon. I then inspected both bedrooms. They were clean, neat and well appointed. Each had flat screen TV’s and a very user friendly clock radio. The sheets and bedspreads were clean and smelled very fresh.

I then inspected the bathroom. Very clean with excellent water pressure from the spigot. The towels were of a better quality than expected.

Overall the room was GREAT. The air conditioners were quiet and kept the room and a very nice temperature.

The pool area was just as nice and the Jacuzzi worked perfectly.

I only had one minor concern about an otherwise excellent stay. The breakfast was not quite what I was expecting. For such a well appointed hotel the breakfast was a bit disappointing but this would not, in any way, be the deciding factor of whether to stay again.

I highly recommend this hotel....You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Muskywin
Gainesville, FL
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Good value - lots of room features for price of regular hotel room. Stayed at this hotel in a studio unit for 2 nights over the 4th of July weekend. It was appeared new, fresh and clean. Appreciated how much storage and thoughtful amenities were packed into a unit barely larger than a normal hotel room without feeling crowded. We had a king bed, sofa bed, flat screen TV, large desk, decent sized kitchenette (with almost full size refig/freezer, sink, dishwasher, 2 burner stove, dishware & cookware) and lots of storage everywhere. The combo closet (accessed from bathroom) / pantry (accessed from kitchen) was very creative. The unit even included a master swtich to turn off all lights at once. Bed was very comfortable. Rate included usual hotel style carb breakfast with make your own waffles, but also had whole fruit and yogurts. Hotel is in a guiet area right off I-95 and 7 minutes East of UNF and St. John Town Center (tons of shopping & resturants). Beach is 15-20 minutes straight East on Butler Blvd.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 19 August 2009

Stayed here 1 night on the way out of state. Anyone would be hard pressed to fault the accomodations in a brand new hotel... everything is nice, new, and clean. Staff was average, but no complaints. Location can be a little tricky to find, especially at night. Overall, great hotel would stay again.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank RL91193
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Hi, spent 3 weeks at the TownePlace Suites Jacksonville from Mid April to May.

The hotel was extremely clean and welcoming. Ashley, the woman at the front desk was fantastic. She never had a problem answering my questions or suggesting places to go or see.

The room, as the entire hotel, was extremely clean. I rented a two bedroom suite, and although it was small, it had plenty of work space for my needs. There were plenty of dishes and utensils in the kitchen. The beds were very comfortable and each room had it's own thermostat.

I loved that you could get laundry soap at the front desk, for free! There was a grill in the back that I used frequently as well as a pool and hot tub.

The breakfast served in the lobby is the standard Carb-o-holic fare with waffles being the main entree. There was yogurt and fruit as well as juice and milk.

Wireless internet was free and pretty fast. I loved that there was a computer and printer downstairs that guest could use to print their business needs as well as boarding passes.

There is a flock of geese that come by the hotel every morning. It was fun feeding them and watching them waddle away.

Fantastic hotel. You'll love staying here.

Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank TouringSM
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 6 July 2009

Usually I don't write reviews, because all hotels seem the same. But this hotel was worth me boasting. This hotel was perfect. The rooms were very clean, the hotel attendants were more than courteous, and the price was perfect ($62 a night, on the 4th of July weekend).
The rooms are perfectly sized, with a big bathroom, kitchen area, office space, King size beds, and even a sofa bed for that extra person in the room. They served breakfast, have a pool, hot-tub, fitness room, and ample parking. The hotel also offers free internet, and has a office space in the room. And if you do not have your computer, they have a computer with a printer in the lobby for your use.

The hotel was about 20-25 minutes from the beach, as well as the airport. And who wants to hear plane engines while you sleep.

If you need to bunk in Jacksonville, consider this hotel. It is the exception to the rule of traditional hotels.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AirportJunkie
GA
Reviewed 22 June 2009

My husband & I planned a little weekend getaway for our 2nd anniversary. I had a hard time deciding where to stay because I'm very picky when I comes to hotels. I read tons of reviews on hotels in the Jacksonville area. I finally narrowed it down to TownePlace and another one. We had decided to take our dog and I'm a Marriott member so that's how I narrowed it down. I called TownePlace and spoke with Howie. He was very friendly, helpful, and informative. Howie, the pet-friendliness, and the fact that it's a new hotel helped me to decide. We ended up not taking our dog after all. The area was very nice and I know she would have loved walking and playing in the designated areas. We'll take her next time.
We booked it for the weekend. Unfortunately, we didn't get to meet Howie in person, but we were fortunate to have met Ashley. She was just as friendly, helpful, and informative as Howie. I was pleased.
Then we get to our suite. By the way, I agree that the elevator had an awful smell. My husband claims that it's just the "new" smell of the elevator machinery. We took the elevator twice and used the stairs the rest of the time (we were on the 2nd floor). Anyway, I was impressed by the suite. The pictures posted on the website are exact. Those pictures were exactly how our room looked. Everything was clean! (I still used my Lysol just as a precaution). I actually had no complaints! This means A LOT coming from me. My husband was pleased that I was pleased because normally when we go to hotels, I'm complaining about something in the room. The bed & pillows were extremely confortable. We slept like babies. The entire hotel has free wireless internet-loved it.
The continental breakfast was nice. There is a "snack bar" in the lobby called "In a Pinch." I thought it was really neat because it was open 24 hours with all sorts of snacks. So if you had the munchies late at night you didn't have to leave the hotel to get something. However, it was expensive. My husband purchased a small bag of chips, a candy bar, and 20oz soda and paid almost $8. (He didn't tell me how much it cost until we got home.)
The location was great. There are several (fast food & an Applebee's) restaurants in walking distance. There are many, many more to choose from a short drive away (in many directions). We were about 10-15 minutes from downtown and The Landings (it's beautiful at night). The beaches were about 15-20 minutes away.
Overall, we would definately chose this hotel again. Sorry we didn't take our own pictures of the hotel

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple