“Good Location & Price, Bad Hotel”

Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center
Ranked #108 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

I had a longterm stay here (months). I have had longterm stays before (though not at this hotel) and this has been my least favorite.

I at 1st gave this a lower rating but changed it because for the length of time I stayed this was the most economical choice for my situation but if I had to do it over again I would probably pay more and not stay here.

Positives - great location. Across from St Johns Town Center so easy access to shopping, restaurants, gas station, easy access to 95. Front desk personnel very nice, friendly and addressed any concerns. The AC units were cleaned while I was there and the mattress, box springs and comforter replaced. Price - since part of my stay was paid out of my pocket I found it cost effective vs some others due to the length of the stay. .

Negatives - Since pets are allowed and the vacuum cleaners rarely cleaned the smell of pet urine/feces gets transferred when used in another room. The prostitutes (no need to expound on that). Maintenance staff - when they hook water hoses up outside to do whatever work they need to it affects the water pressure in some rooms causing the toilets not to flush. Pretty uncomfortable to be in a room for a few hours with a non-working toilet. Maintenance staff pretty non-existant on the weekends. The maintenance staff has no respect that there are people staying in the room as one seemed perturbed when I asked him to wait a few minutes while I got myself together and just kept repeating "I need to change the mattress". Geez can I get dressed? And another just tried to walk in (luckily I had the latch on) and he couldnt seem to tell me what he was there for and went away.

Not negatives but things to point out - there is no workout room, there is no lobby (other than the front desk and a chair) so if you need to meet with people you may have to go to one of the local restaurants. I'd recommend being on the 2 nd floor as every step or child running across the floor at all hours of the night will sound like a herd of elephants if on the 1st floor. And it tends to be loud on the 1 st floor as people walk to their cars and stop in front of your window to chat. Also, you'll need to step outside to get good phone reception.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank RedLily1968
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am so glad that you liked our hotel's location and our staff's friendly service; however, I am sorry that your room did not meet your expectations and that our staff did not provide you with professional service at all times. In response, I am going to work with my entire team on improving our offerings and am coaching them on how to manage guest issues better in the future.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at jtb@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed 2 nights, it was dirty, old, and the beds were super uncomfortable. We even had staff just walk in to our too at one point! The location in good, but that is about it. Avoid!

Even the breakfast was mediocre, it was just not a nice place.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DLGreenland
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have never ever come across a more disgusting hotel in the United States of America! Are you kidding me!! We booked here for 2 nights and when my wife and I got to our room we went straight for the directory to find another hotel. We couldn't stay 2 minutes! The room smelled like smoke and very moldy (this was to be a non-smoking room by the way). The bathroom-Deplorable!! Rusty bathtub and A dirty toilet seat! When we called for it to be cleaned, we saw the same girl that checked us in coming with a bottle and rag. We just told her don't worry we are outta here! Well we expected that as we were told that because this wasn't an "extended stay" (Pun intended) of more than 3 nights, we had no turn down service so we would have to take our own towels to the front desk for new ones....seriously!!! We went just around the corner to a Residence Inn which was a HUUUGE difference!! Beware of this hotel is all I am saying.

Room Tip: There are none!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mikey-Nishy
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. I am sorry to hear that you had multiple complaints being that your room smelled of smoke, and the fixtures were rusty. In response to your feedback, I am meeting with my team and we are addressing the issues that you had in your room. I just want you to know that I truly do apologize that you had to experience this.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at jtb@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I requested a nonsmoking room. I got a nonsmoking room. However when the rooms on both sides of you smoke your room becomes a smoking room. By the end of the week all rooms smell like an ashtray. The only way to stop this is to have no smoking buildings. Make one of your 3 buildings no smoking. If people are coughs smoking in that building they pay $ 45,000 fine to fumigate the building problem solved . If they can't pay on the spot in cash you hang them in the lobby with piano wire to discourage others

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I have stayed in several Extended Stay units, but this one may make me swear off them. Originally made a reservation in Jan. for a May stay. On the day I was arriving, they call my home to tell me they are booked up and I have to move to a different one some miles away. I'm not at home, I'm on the road! No chance to contact others to rearrange schedules. Complained. They apologized and asked me to give them another chance.
So I made a reservation for September for four nights. Check-in uneventful. That night, the A/C keeps cycling on and off and sounds like a Mack truck in my bedroom. Every time I went to sleep, I was awakened by the noise. Finally gave up at 3 AM and made a reservation at another hotel. Went to the bathroom to shower only to discover there was no shower curtain. When I mentioned all this when checking out, all I got was a shrug and an offer to change rooms. Sorry, you had your chance. Never again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mikeod-od
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I flew into Jacksonville for a job interview and unfortunately my flight was delayed by three hours, putting me into town at 2:30am and finally at the door of the ESA at 3:15am. The night clerk was extremely perturbed about me arriving at that hour ... far less than welcoming. But that was just the start. She checked me into a room, I went up to it, opened the door ... only to find the TV turned up to about 100 and someone asleep in the bed. Of course, I woke this poor person up by coming into his room ... apologized profusely, went back to the front desk, and had the night clerk blame it on someone else (like I cared at that point). She then checked me into another room ... and this one had clearly had someone in it very recently. The bed was made up but very rumpled, as if someone had been up there nestled in to watch TV (which again was on at about 100), and there was a full bath in the tub that was still warm. I could SMELL the person that had been in that room, and wet towels were scattered everywhere. But by then it was getting on 4am and I had to check out by 11am (thanks for understanding, night clerk), so I just put the bed back together, crawled in, and hoped for the best.

I have had bad hotels in Europe and I suppose in the U.S. as well, but nothing compared to this rip-roaring disaster. I wasn't there long enough to really take in any standard cleanliness issues, but I also at that point wasn't about to look too closely.

Book this flophouse at your own risk.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Gram31211
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. I am sorry to hear that your late check-in resulted in a bad experience and a member of our staff did not provide you with professional or friendly service. Please know, the types of situations you described are not the norm at our hotel, and I have taken your feedback very seriously. As this hotel's manager, I can assure you we are working to ensure this does not happen again by training the staff more on our check-in procedures as well as inventory management policies. Also, I am coaching the entire team on how to provide better customer service moving forward.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact me directly, at jtb @extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area. I sincerely apologize to you for your experience.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I normally don't write reviews on anything but for the experience that I had, I feel compelled to inform the upper management of the issues at this particular room that I stayed in. First impression, the room was nothing out of the ordinary; everything seemed to be in working order. However, the moment I took off my shoes and touched the carpet, it felt like the carpet was greasy to say the least... I was afraid to touch it, and for the remainder of my stay, I wore slippers inside the room (which I would much prefer to walk barefoot inside the hotel room.) Probably the biggest issue I had was when I woke up in the morning, I had bites on my legs and fingers that I've never noticed the night previous. Now during the day, I wore long pants which should prevent any bites that I would encounter when I'm out and about, especially when my days consist of full day in an office environment. I put it off casually and didn't think much about it until a few days later, I've noticed more and more bites. Then one day I've actually saw an insect the size of a nickel, crawling about the bathroom floor; which confirms my theory that the room was bug infested. For the amount that I paid, I wasn't expecting much, but this is far and beyond. I am extremely dissatisfied with my stay and will recommend anyone in the Jacksonville area to stay away from this establishment.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank irthrfly
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. I sincerely apologize that your room was unclean and that carpet was sticky. In response to your feedback, I am working with our housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures and inspection policies. As well, our maintenance staff is working to clean the carpet so this type of situation does not affect other guests in the future.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at jtb@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.