Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center
Ranked #112 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Trinity, Alabama
“Don't stay here!”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

There were no non-smoking rooms available so we had to take a smoking room. There were cigarette ashes on the bathroom floor. The room just was not clean in general.

Now for the worst part. There was noise next to us ALL night long. Doors slamming, people talking, yelling and car doors slamming. I finally got up at 5 am because there was no point on trying to sleep any longer. I heard voices outside and decided to look to see what these people were up to. They were running a prostitution ring in the room next to us! Cars would drive up and girls would hop in only to return later. Guys were standing around outside who looked like they were the... To put it nicely... Body guards.

We went to the office to cut our stay short. I was very uncomfortable walking through these people to leave. I have never stayed at an Extended Stay that was even close to this bad.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank justDeb2
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I was disheartened to read that we overlooked the ashes on the bathroom floor and to hear that you did not rest all night due to outside disturbances. Please accept our apologies. To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, my team is available 24-7. We are only a phone call away. The safety of our guests is top priority and my night staff will patrol the property to ensure an experience like yours is not repeated.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. I would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact me directly, at jtb@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The bathroom tub was filthy, I had to go in and bleach it myself because it was black. The carpet was completely disgusting because I would step on it with my bare feet and it would be black as well. The bathroom smells like cigarette smoke, even though it is a non-smoking room, it seems to happen at random times, perhaps someone else smoking in their room. Most of the staff was nice, but there were times where I went to the lobby and no one will be there for a long period of time. Some times, they don't restock the grab and go breakfast and coffee will be empty at only 7am. My wife was over for the weekend and she saw that there was housekeeping talking on the phone for a long time and was in the same room for around 2-3 hours when she was going back and forth doing laundry. They never showed up this week to swap out my towels or linen yesterday, which I was told when they would come. Last week they came, but never changed out the sheets or the towels as well. All they did my made the bed. I'm extremely dissatisfied with the service and the cleanliness of the room. Everything else seems fine though.

Room Tip: Find a different Hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank MEGA47
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Please know that we are sincerely sorry that your housekeeping service was overlooked. I also would like to apologize for the staff not being available to you and for the grab-and-go breakfast not being re-stocked as needed. In response to your feedback, I am working with our housekeeping staff on improving our cleaning procedures and reviewing scheduling with them so that our guests are better taken care of in the future. As well, I am coaching our team on the proper way to oversee breakfast so that our guests have options during the times it is available.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at jtb@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay.
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

I had a longterm stay here (months). I have had longterm stays before (though not at this hotel) and this has been my least favorite.

I at 1st gave this a lower rating but changed it because for the length of time I stayed this was the most economical choice for my situation but if I had to do it over again I would probably pay more and not stay here.

Positives - great location. Across from St Johns Town Center so easy access to shopping, restaurants, gas station, easy access to 95. Front desk personnel very nice, friendly and addressed any concerns. The AC units were cleaned while I was there and the mattress, box springs and comforter replaced. Price - since part of my stay was paid out of my pocket I found it cost effective vs some others due to the length of the stay. .

Negatives - Since pets are allowed and the vacuum cleaners rarely cleaned the smell of pet urine/feces gets transferred when used in another room. The prostitutes (no need to expound on that). Maintenance staff - when they hook water hoses up outside to do whatever work they need to it affects the water pressure in some rooms causing the toilets not to flush. Pretty uncomfortable to be in a room for a few hours with a non-working toilet. Maintenance staff pretty non-existant on the weekends. The maintenance staff has no respect that there are people staying in the room as one seemed perturbed when I asked him to wait a few minutes while I got myself together and just kept repeating "I need to change the mattress". Geez can I get dressed? And another just tried to walk in (luckily I had the latch on) and he couldnt seem to tell me what he was there for and went away.

Not negatives but things to point out - there is no workout room, there is no lobby (other than the front desk and a chair) so if you need to meet with people you may have to go to one of the local restaurants. I'd recommend being on the 2 nd floor as every step or child running across the floor at all hours of the night will sound like a herd of elephants if on the 1st floor. And it tends to be loud on the 1 st floor as people walk to their cars and stop in front of your window to chat. Also, you'll need to step outside to get good phone reception.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RedLily1968
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am so glad that you liked our hotel's location and our staff's friendly service; however, I am sorry that your room did not meet your expectations and that our staff did not provide you with professional service at all times. In response, I am going to work with my entire team on improving our offerings and am coaching them on how to manage guest issues better in the future.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at jtb@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Greenland, New Hampshire
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed 2 nights, it was dirty, old, and the beds were super uncomfortable. We even had staff just walk in to our too at one point! The location in good, but that is about it. Avoid!

Even the breakfast was mediocre, it was just not a nice place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DLGreenland
Jamaica
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have never ever come across a more disgusting hotel in the United States of America! Are you kidding me!! We booked here for 2 nights and when my wife and I got to our room we went straight for the directory to find another hotel. We couldn't stay 2 minutes! The room smelled like smoke and very moldy (this was to be a non-smoking room by the way). The bathroom-Deplorable!! Rusty bathtub and A dirty toilet seat! When we called for it to be cleaned, we saw the same girl that checked us in coming with a bottle and rag. We just told her don't worry we are outta here! Well we expected that as we were told that because this wasn't an "extended stay" (Pun intended) of more than 3 nights, we had no turn down service so we would have to take our own towels to the front desk for new ones....seriously!!! We went just around the corner to a Residence Inn which was a HUUUGE difference!! Beware of this hotel is all I am saying.

Room Tip: There are none!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mikey-Nishy
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Southside - St. Johns Towne Center, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. I am sorry to hear that you had multiple complaints being that your room smelled of smoke, and the fixtures were rusty. In response to your feedback, I am meeting with my team and we are addressing the issues that you had in your room. I just want you to know that I truly do apologize that you had to experience this.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at jtb@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I requested a nonsmoking room. I got a nonsmoking room. However when the rooms on both sides of you smoke your room becomes a smoking room. By the end of the week all rooms smell like an ashtray. The only way to stop this is to have no smoking buildings. Make one of your 3 buildings no smoking. If people are coughs smoking in that building they pay $ 45,000 fine to fumigate the building problem solved . If they can't pay on the spot in cash you hang them in the lobby with piano wire to discourage others

• Stayed October 2013
Lady Lake, Florida
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I have stayed in several Extended Stay units, but this one may make me swear off them. Originally made a reservation in Jan. for a May stay. On the day I was arriving, they call my home to tell me they are booked up and I have to move to a different one some miles away. I'm not at home, I'm on the road! No chance to contact others to rearrange schedules. Complained. They apologized and asked me to give them another chance.
So I made a reservation for September for four nights. Check-in uneventful. That night, the A/C keeps cycling on and off and sounds like a Mack truck in my bedroom. Every time I went to sleep, I was awakened by the noise. Finally gave up at 3 AM and made a reservation at another hotel. Went to the bathroom to shower only to discover there was no shower curtain. When I mentioned all this when checking out, all I got was a shrug and an offer to change rooms. Sorry, you had your chance. Never again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business