“Don't stay here if you want to sleep”

Aloft Jacksonville Airport
Ranked #64 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Don't stay here if you want to sleep”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Someone already covered it in their review, but I will reiterate... the AC units in the room are louder than the jet engines at JAX. You cannot hear the TV when the AC is on. You freeze when the AC comes on... so not only are you awake from the noise, you are cold. You have to wonder who the IDIOT is that selected these units for a nice hotel? This is Best Western or Super 8 climate control technology. I've also stayed in cleaner rooms at BW or Super 8... housekeeping did nothing to remove the white stains from soap and toothpaste from the bathroom walls... the tile in the shower looked 30 years old. It's sad because Aloft is supposed to be an upscale business hotel.

Someone also mentioned the nice staff... sure they were very nice... however in the morning when we used our $20 breakfast vouchers, the guy at the desk was too lazy to actually calculate how much we'd spent.. he just said "yeah, you used up your credit"...when it was clear we had only spent about $15 of it. We had hoped to pick up a bottle of water and a snack... but he gave me no chance to discuss the matter when he dashed into the kitchen.

Room Tip: make sure the girl at the desk doesn't give you a room by the elevators
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
M_Cartin, Starwood hotels at Aloft Jacksonville Airport, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback on the AC unit, bathroom cleanliness, and front desk staff. We can assure you this information will be shared with the right team here in property. Again, thank you for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Good hipster type hotel. I had someone next door that kept letting his door slam shut... Three times during my stay, I had dogs running and barking up and down the hallways. Shower gel and shampoo in a pump dispenser attached to a wall.

All in all, not bad, but noisy.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Beanbag109
M_Cartin, Starwood hotels at Aloft Jacksonville Airport, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for your review. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with regards to the noise level during your stay. We will be sure to pass that along to our team. Thanks for choosing the Aloft Jacksonville Airport and we hope to see you again during your next visit to the area.
Fort Valley, Georgia
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Like many of the other reviews have stated - this is a "hip, trendy" type of hotel. This is not a traditional hotel and Starwood makes it clear what type of hotel this is.

If you like a traditional type of hotel, this may not be your type of accommodations.

This was my first stay at Aloft and it will not be my last. That being said:

What I liked:

1) It is a functional hotel, the rooms are not large but every square inch has a purpose. Storage up to the ceiling in places is quite useful. It's well laid out and the headboards do not lie against a common wall. The Bathroom area is also not large but it functional and the shower is good sized.
2) The platform bed does it's job quite well. I got two good nights of sleep.
3) The rooms are very quiet and the shades can make the room really dark. The Heater/Air Conditioner was a bit loud but for white noise, it does a good job.
4) Everything on the main floor (workout area, bar, food purchase area, front desk) is very close and easy to get to. The main floor area at night is a busy, happening area and that is by design. The only area of privacy is the workout area which is semi-isolated and quiet.
5) The Flat Screen TV is large and there is an "black box" that allows PC and other electronic devices to be connected to the TV. It also provides multiple power connections for recharging. There is no connectivity for Apple devices (e.g. AirPlay)

Areas for improvement (and these are very minor):

1) Coffee. There was only enough coffee in my room for one person (one cup). I know I could get more but this is something that the staff should be a step ahead on. Coffee in the lobby would also be nice.
2) Too economical at times. #1 is part of an area that while I understand I don't agree with. The number of towels/hand towels/washcloths is a bare minimum for 2 people - an extra set I think would be reasonable.
3) The front desk has some really good people and a couple that need a bit more training. Example - I asked at check-in to have my Starwood Preferred Guest Number added and I had to ask another clerk to add the points when I saw the first clerk didn't add my SPG Number to the folio.

This hotel has a large number of stores and eateries near-by and the access to I-95 is excellent. It does not have room service nor a free breakfast. Pets appear to be welcomed as well.

Room Tip: North facing rooms are the quietest. Try to stay at the ends of the building if you want to avoid t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Petaluma, California
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I enjoyed our one night stay in this hip hotel designed for quick stopovers. Check in was efficient, the room was nicely appointed, the bed was comfortable, and we were given a $30 breakfast credit to spend in the morning. I like the Aloft concept of smaller rooms geared towards the on the move younger crowd. Perfect for short stays though not cheap. Conveniently surrounded by multiple malls for a large restaurant and shopping selection.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
M_Cartin, Starwood hotels at Aloft Jacksonville Airport, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your recent stay at the Aloft Jacksonville Airport and found our location convenient, check in efficient, and guestrooms comfortable. We hope to see you again soon.
USA
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

I was worried because I booked the room before reading individual reviews, but ended up pleasantly surprised. It's trendy and kind of hipster-y, from the bowl vanity to the platform beds, kitschy accessories and the latest issue of Wired Magazine. It looks like a cute hostel or ski condo. The desk clerk and shuttle driver were energetic and seemed to enjoy their work. After reading reviews about noise, I asked for a quiet room. Inside the room, A package of complimentary earplugs on the desk did not bode well, but in fact it was completely silent outside the room. The heater sounds like every heater in every motel I've ever stayed in. Our room shows signs of being beaten on by previous guests who must have raked their luggage along the wall and used an upholstered seating bench as a suitcase rack. The shower area grout is patina'd but clean. We have plenty of towels and pillows. Will I stay here again? Probably not, because I am 55 years old and I like to soak in a hot tub after a long day. But if you are young, trendy and you want to stay in a place that reflects your style, you'll love this.

• Stayed January 2014
north carolina
Reviewed 13 January 2014

never stayed at an Aloft before but will again.
Cleverly designed smallish rooms (european like) with everything I needed for a quick over night while driving. easy check-in. easy to find. was able to negotiate a reasonable price w/o too much hassle. liked the bed.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank hsheffield1
M_Cartin, Starwood hotels at Aloft Jacksonville Airport, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. Its great to hear this was your first time at an Aloft and you had a good experience. Hope to see you again soon.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 11 January 2014

stayed just as a night away from home with my spouse. The rooms are extremely small. modern rooms but a little worn. lt has a sports bar atmosphere. I'd say overall rating is average. The worst feature is the bagged breakfast & paying for a breakfast snack. believe they should give it with price of room if offered. Nice area In lounge for a cocktail. staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: Higher floors are less noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple