“Tired room and tired me”

Aloft Jacksonville Airport
Ranked #70 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Dayton
“Tired room and tired me”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed at the Aloft Jax hoping it would be nicer than the last airport hotel I stayed at in Feb. I was extremely disappointed. The room not only was filthy, but the layout was the worst I've ever seen in a hotel room. It appeared as though the carpet has never been deep cleaned or vacuumed around the baseboards. The tile floors and grout could have used some cleaning too. I was afraid to take my flip flops off in the room. The air conditioner was extremely noisy and the TV had to be turned up above normal levels to hear. The only good thing about the ac was it drowned out noisy people in the hall at 11 pm. The futon like bed was absolutely horrible and I had to flip around like a rotisserie chicken all night to keep from hurting too badly. The only good things about room were the mini fridge, in-room safe and hot water. The hotel is worn and ugly. Parking stinks and the back door does not open with your key. It took 5 minutes for someone to respond to the call button to let me and another in one afternoon. I will never stay at this hotel again and would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
M_Cartin, Starwood hotels at Aloft Jacksonville Airport, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your review Julie. We do appreciate you sharing your thoughts and feedback about our hotel. First we’d like to apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your recent stay. We completely understand there are improvements that need to be made at the hotel in order to better our guests’ experiences. We truly appreciate your feedback as it helps us know the areas we need the most improvement in.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Aloft jax airport used to be a great hotel. With the recent team changes, I am afraid it became another lousy place to wait up for flight. AC units aren't working well, front desk doesn't seem to care about anything. The prices, however, increased dramatically as the quality fell...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent experience at our hotel. We can assure you we are working on making some improvement to our hotel and our service so that we can better our guests’ experiences when staying with us.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Waited an hour for the courtesy shuttle and finally gave up. Staff was indifferent to my complaint and only reluctantly and half-heartedly apologized. I have since received five requests to complete a customer satisfaction survey, yet no response whatsoever from on-site management or Starwood corporate. It's an airport hotel - so the courtesy shuttle is one of the most basic services they provide. Unless you'll do anything for SPG points, spend your time and money elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
M_Cartin, Starwood hotels at Aloft Jacksonville Airport, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review David. We are truly sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay with us regarding the shuttle service. You are absolutely right, we are an airport hotel and the shuttle service should always run smoothly. We will be sure to share this with our team to ensure it does not happen again. We truly appreciate your feedback.
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I have to echo previous reviewers who said that the a/c units were loud. Deafening! It was impossible to sleep with it running. Also, the bed was rock hard - I had a lot of time to contemplate that while lying awake while the a/c ran. The room was tired and dirty - I didn't really didn't want to touch anything. Time for a room refurb. Lobby was nice. The staff was friendly. All in all, I can't say that I would choose to stay there again (in it's present state).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
M_Cartin, Starwood hotels at Aloft Jacksonville Airport, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for your review. Good to hear you liked the hotel lobby and found the staff friendly. We truly do appreciate all the feedback we've been receiving about the AC units in the room. As we've mentioned before, we will be sharing this information with the right team here on property.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Someone already covered it in their review, but I will reiterate... the AC units in the room are louder than the jet engines at JAX. You cannot hear the TV when the AC is on. You freeze when the AC comes on... so not only are you awake from the noise, you are cold. You have to wonder who the IDIOT is that selected these units for a nice hotel? This is Best Western or Super 8 climate control technology. I've also stayed in cleaner rooms at BW or Super 8... housekeeping did nothing to remove the white stains from soap and toothpaste from the bathroom walls... the tile in the shower looked 30 years old. It's sad because Aloft is supposed to be an upscale business hotel.

Someone also mentioned the nice staff... sure they were very nice... however in the morning when we used our $20 breakfast vouchers, the guy at the desk was too lazy to actually calculate how much we'd spent.. he just said "yeah, you used up your credit"...when it was clear we had only spent about $15 of it. We had hoped to pick up a bottle of water and a snack... but he gave me no chance to discuss the matter when he dashed into the kitchen.

Room Tip: make sure the girl at the desk doesn't give you a room by the elevators
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback on the AC unit, bathroom cleanliness, and front desk staff. We can assure you this information will be shared with the right team here in property. Again, thank you for your review.
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Good hipster type hotel. I had someone next door that kept letting his door slam shut... Three times during my stay, I had dogs running and barking up and down the hallways. Shower gel and shampoo in a pump dispenser attached to a wall.

All in all, not bad, but noisy.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Beanbag109
M_Cartin, Starwood hotels at Aloft Jacksonville Airport, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for your review. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with regards to the noise level during your stay. We will be sure to pass that along to our team. Thanks for choosing the Aloft Jacksonville Airport and we hope to see you again during your next visit to the area.
Fort Valley, Georgia
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Like many of the other reviews have stated - this is a "hip, trendy" type of hotel. This is not a traditional hotel and Starwood makes it clear what type of hotel this is.

If you like a traditional type of hotel, this may not be your type of accommodations.

This was my first stay at Aloft and it will not be my last. That being said:

What I liked:

1) It is a functional hotel, the rooms are not large but every square inch has a purpose. Storage up to the ceiling in places is quite useful. It's well laid out and the headboards do not lie against a common wall. The Bathroom area is also not large but it functional and the shower is good sized.
2) The platform bed does it's job quite well. I got two good nights of sleep.
3) The rooms are very quiet and the shades can make the room really dark. The Heater/Air Conditioner was a bit loud but for white noise, it does a good job.
4) Everything on the main floor (workout area, bar, food purchase area, front desk) is very close and easy to get to. The main floor area at night is a busy, happening area and that is by design. The only area of privacy is the workout area which is semi-isolated and quiet.
5) The Flat Screen TV is large and there is an "black box" that allows PC and other electronic devices to be connected to the TV. It also provides multiple power connections for recharging. There is no connectivity for Apple devices (e.g. AirPlay)

Areas for improvement (and these are very minor):

1) Coffee. There was only enough coffee in my room for one person (one cup). I know I could get more but this is something that the staff should be a step ahead on. Coffee in the lobby would also be nice.
2) Too economical at times. #1 is part of an area that while I understand I don't agree with. The number of towels/hand towels/washcloths is a bare minimum for 2 people - an extra set I think would be reasonable.
3) The front desk has some really good people and a couple that need a bit more training. Example - I asked at check-in to have my Starwood Preferred Guest Number added and I had to ask another clerk to add the points when I saw the first clerk didn't add my SPG Number to the folio.

This hotel has a large number of stores and eateries near-by and the access to I-95 is excellent. It does not have room service nor a free breakfast. Pets appear to be welcomed as well.

Room Tip: North facing rooms are the quietest. Try to stay at the ends of the building if you want to avoid t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo