“Everything was fine for a 2 night stay....”

Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites
Ranked #52 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Dalton, Ga.
“Everything was fine for a 2 night stay....”
Reviewed 18 October 2011

My husband and I arrived at Jacksonville Plaza Hotel on Saturday, October 8th for our 2 night stay here while waiting for Monday, October 10th to leave on our Cruise at the Jax Terminal for Bahamas. When we arrived the gentleman that checked us in was very nice but very soft spoken, lol so we proceeded to our room which was on the bottom floor room #125 and as soon as we walked in the a/c wasn't on, or so we thought so we unloaded our stuff in our room and then went for dinner and some drinks and when we came back it was late and our room was stuffy and muggy so needless to say the a/c wasn't working so we were hott and burning up the whole night but first thing the next morning we went to the front desk and told the lady that was up at the front desk that the a/c in our room wasn't working and she was So Nice and offered to get someone to look at it for us so we left and went and eat and when we came back the room was nice and cold, thanks to the lady that gave us the quick service of this so we didnt have to move our stuff to another room!! So needless to say the 2nd night was a much better night. About the rooms: the beds were comfy and the pillows were very fluffy! The room was very small yes but it was okay for just the 2 of us because we were just there to sleep for 2 nights. We liked that the TV in the room was sitting up high for better viewing. There are a ton of mirrors in the room, that was a nicer touch then most hotels who hardly put any mirrors anywhere in their rooms. The bathroom was pretty roomy, we have no complaints of that. They do have a small Breakfast each morning in their little breakfast area, it was nice and clean and had plenty to choose from. All in all it was a very nice stay for the price that we paid and we could do the park and sail, meaning we were able to have transportation to and from the Jax Cruise Terminal and leave our vehicle at the hotel while we were on our Cruise which was included in our 2 day stay. I would recommend this hotel if you are doing a Cruise and leave your vehicle here, everything went smoothly.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank joanie30735

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Polish first
Colorado Springs
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I came to Jacksonville with my daughter and we stayed here because it was the least expensive she could find and we were staying a week. It is obviously not a 5-star hotel but I think when you are getting a deal you can't be as picky as some of the other people on here. It isn't perfect, but it was comfortable. I was able to sleep on the beds which is unusual for me as I am a poor sleeper. The linens were comfortable, although old and not well maintained (towels tended to be grayish with holes in them), but again, usable. The refrigerator was a bonus as we went to the nearby Walmart to purchase some food so we didn't have to eat in restaurants every day. The staff are all friendly and helpful, the location is good as it is close to a nice shopping center with a Walmart, there are several convenience store/gas stations just at the corner, there are fast food and sit down restaurants within a couple of minutes and the interstate is right up the street. The TV being on top of a wardrobe is a little inconvenient and the counter space in the bathroom is a little tight, but the trade offs for the price are acceptable. Also the exercise room only contains the basic equipment (treadmill, bike, etc) but they are Nordic Track so that is pretty good. The vending machines are very fairly priced. I was able to get a 20 oz. bottle of Coke from the vending machine cheaper than I would have paid at the Kangaroo Express at the corner. Again, it wasn't a luxury 5-star hotel, but for the price it was comfortable, clean and adequate. I stayed here a week and about half that time I was actually in the room and I was never uncomfortable, never saw a bug, very little noise even though from the parking lot I would say they had a full house almost daily, and things were clean. I would totally stay here again and would recommend it to family and friends if you are looking for a bargain. Obviously if you are looking for luxury, stay somewhere else, but if you are looking for a clean, comfortable place to stay on a budget, this is a good deal.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MatrixMary
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 23 September 2011

The motel is just off the highway, north of Jacksonville and close to the airport. We had no problems at all. We booked a "coastal queen room". Our room was clean, but quite small. It had a refrigerator and microwave, but you had to nearly trip over them to get to the other side of the bed. The TV is mounted close to the ceiling. The continental breakfast had more offerings than other similar priced hotels, but there's almost no where to sit. They have a computer in the lobby with a printer should you need to print a boarding pass. There is a $2.50 amenitiy fee added to the bill. This is diclsosed on their web site, although I have no idea what it is for.

Room Tip: Coastal queen rooms are small, but good enough for just one night.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Xenabird
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Although the price is great, the hotel is not. Staff was extremely courteous but the hotel lacked cleanliness. The hotel offers shuttle service from the airport, which was excellent. Very fast, and the driver was great, too. Once entering the hotel, the lobby reeked of bleach. We proceed to check in and the staff member says he will check if there are any rooms ready for the day. He proceeds to leave the counter, walk over to the elevator & check the rooms physically. He did this twice.
We check into our room, and upon entering are assaulted by the cigarette stink in our non-smoking room. We look at the room and the beds are bowed, I could roll my 2 yr old from side to side. The sheets/comforters on the beds have moth holes. We think about asking for another room because of the smell but instead decide to check out. We've only been in the hotel for a total of 15 minutes. Even though we didn't use the hotel, no refund was issued even though we tried seeking resolution.
Lesson learned, don't stay at the cheapest hotel you can find.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Latinhunny33
Boise
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My wife and I got this hotel through Hotwire for $44 which included all taxes and fees plus we got a $15 rebate from Hotwire through our Entertainment Book since it was a Hot Rate listing so our stay actually cost $29 + a $2.50 amenity fee they charged us upon our arrival. I guess the amenity fee was to help cover the cost of the airport shuttle plus fitness room, continental breakfast, etc. I never appreciate these extra hidden fees because I feel they're only to boost profits. I'd much rather all these costs be simply included in the room fee. Anyway, on the plus side is the providing of the airport shuttle which allowed us to check in our rental car the night before flying out which saved us an extra day's rental. Also, the front desk staff was friendly and helpful. We did feel the room was clean. They only have queen size beds but they are comfortable. They also have use of a computer for the internet which is fairly high speed. On the minus side, the rooms are very small, the vanity has only room for the sink and little more, the small tv is located above the closest which means you must be lying on the bed to watch it. There are no chairs and/or desks in the room as there is only room for the bed. If you're walking anywhere, i.e. to a restaurant, there is no sidewalk by the highway where you have to walk for the equivalent of a couple of blocks. There is a Subway not far from the hotel plus there is a Denny's across a busy highway along with a couple of other restaurants within walkable distance, i.e. Longhorn Steakhouse and Ruby Tuesday. Hotwire had this hotel listed as a 2 1/2 star. Based on my travel experiences I'd have to fairly rate this hotel as a 1 or 1 1/2 star. My wife would not be thrilled to stay here again if we were in the area but I felt for what we had to pay and the main fact they provided an airport shuttle, it was worth it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank durf1
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel last month and were pleasantly surprised. They offer a lot of amenities included in the price where you can get somewhere else for almost twice the price. The rooms are spotlessly clean. Staff is very helpful. This hotel is a thumbs up!!!

• Stayed August 2011
4 Thank Twix7
Falconer, New York
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Just a night's sleep....nothing more, nothing less!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Tracy121
jpleah, General Manager at Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 1 September 2011
I noticed in your response that your stay was "just a night's sleep...nothing more nothing less!" I would like to take the time and mention the amenities that were clearly missed. We have a 24 hour airport shuttle, business centre, in room wi-fi, work out room, continental breakfast (which includes 7 different food items and 7 different beverage options), in room microwave and refrigerator, cable channels with HBO and guest coin laundry. We offer all these amenities at very competitive rates for a hotel of our star rating. We would be happy to see you again if your travel plans bring you back to Jacksonville. Perhaps next time you can enjoy some of our amenities.