“The first Marriott I have ever stayed in, where I was genuinely disappointed.”

Residence Inn Jacksonville Airport
Ranked #69 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Lake Ridge, Virginia
“The first Marriott I have ever stayed in, where I was genuinely disappointed.”
Reviewed 4 July 2012 via mobile

I almost NEVER write negative reviews, I would much rather write positive ones, but this hotel was unimpressive. The only good thing about it was the lady at the front desk, Kristen, was very sweet and very helpful, but she was also the only one there on a Friday night, and with some very demanding clients (a Marriott employee nonetheless) she was a bit frazzled! But she did all she could to make our stay nice! The other positive was the room size (two bedroom sweet), with six of us, that really was our only option. Now for the bad...the room itself was not the typical Marriott clean...it was more motel 6 clean. There were dark brown hairs inside the shower on the wall (none of us have dark brown hair) and the carpet was old, and sticky in spots. Even the towels were not up to par, they were thin and warn. Because there were six (two adults, four kids) of us, we had to use the pull out sofa, and man I felt so bad for my so who had to sleep on it!! The mattress was almost flat, and the corner so badly ripped that what was left of the stuffing was coming out, it was pretty gross!! Kristen at the front desk, said they were booked but gave me several different items to cover the mattress, to try and make it better, it was pretty horrible, really bad for Marriott, I have to say! We were excited for the pool, but unfortunately, the very demanding, very loud guest who was the Marriott employee was there and he and his guests were smoking cigars in the hot tub. The irony was that they were all smoking (and drinking) directly bellow the NO SMOKING sign! The reason I know he was a Marriott employee, was because he was loudly bragging about it to his guests who were able to get his discount. I would like to add, my husband smokes, but is always respectful of others, and never EVER smokes around other people, or most especially, kids!! They were putting the butts on the ground and then splashing water on the butts to "clean them away". Lovely! But I think the biggest disappointment was the breakfast!! Again, way bellow Marriott standards! It was pretty terrible, although my husband did say the coffee was very good. The eggs were runny, the waffle machine was not working properly, the ham was watery and disgusting, even the muffins were gross!!! How do you mess up a muffin?!? We are Marriott rewards members, because we love this company, and it's hotels. This one needs some major help, IMO. So incredibly disappointing!! I would not recommend this property, and I would never stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank beentheredonethat73
, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Jacksonville Airport, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
I would like to first thank you for chosing the Residence Inn for your recent stay. I would also like to apologize for the bad experience you had at our hotel as it was unacceptable and not standard for our hotel. We pride ourselves in being a Marriott brand and delivering the service and quality that our guests expect from Marriott and we are truly sorry that you did not get that level of service. I apologize for the employee behavior that you witnessed. The guest was not an employee of our hotel but we have made it clear to his employer that his behavior at our property was unexceptable and evident to our guests. I invite you to give us another chance to give you the experience and service you deserve and expect. Please contact hotel management directly as we would love to offer you an incentive to book with us again for your next stay in Jacksonville, FL.

Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback.
Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Winter Springs, Florida
Reviewed 25 June 2012

One reason I chose this hotel was because of the great reviews. Honestly, I wonder if we were just given one of the worst rooms on the premises. It was the handicapped room 111. My husband, sister -in- law and I were traveling back home from Georgia to Orlando visiting his 93 year old father. Previously my husband and I had stayed at the Springhill Airport Suites and had just loved everything about it, but because we wanted two separate bedrooms we selected the Residence Inn. The best thing about it was the friendliness of the staff when we checked in. Having two bedrooms was great. The disappointing part was that the room was outdated and not as clean as other properties. The love seat in the living room had two huge stains in them. My husband turned them over only to find the other side also stained. I mentioned it to the front desk and she responded that the hotel is just old and needs to be updated. That was an understatement! I was too tired to ask about another room. Although there were granite vanities and the carpet was nice and clean, the kitchen table and chairs, appliances and bedroom furniture was definitely outdated and old. The beds were also uncomfortable. Everytime my husband turned I felt it. Breakfast was free but not so great. I'm not sure if the eggs were real or not. The hash browns were tasty. The Internet was free. I feel that the room was not worth the $129 plus tax rate that I paid. The advanced purchase rate was $99.00 and although I did call ahead and give my credit card number I was not eligible for the reduced rate. Upon check out the manager told me that next year the hotel should be renovated and please come back. I think I'll just go back to the Springhill, thank you!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Particular58
katie m, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Jacksonville Airport, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
I would like to thank you for your feedback on the hotel. I invite you back to give us another try when you come through Jacksonville again. The hotel is beginning some projects to update our rooms for the comfort of our guests. Please contact me directly for your next reservation. I would love the opportunity to win you back!
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 27 May 2012

My wife and I were relocating from NH to FL. After reading reviews on trip advisor and various other websites we decided to book a room at the Jacksonville Airport Residence Inn. We had booked a 1 bedroom 2 room suite with a confirmation in hand prior to arriving. We drove 10 hours from Virginia and just barely made it to this hotel in time for our 9 1/2 month old daughters bed time only to find out that the room we booked was not available. We were put in a studio room. The main reason we booked this hotel was because we needed a pet friendly hotel. Needless to say every room in the hotel was booked that night and we were given no other option but to basically leave or accept the room assigned. I'm not one to complain but when you have a confirmation on a room that you booked, you should be able to count on a company to honor this reservation. I am very disappointed in what transpired and would advise anyone staying at this hotel to call the day of arrival to confirm. Best of all, when talking to a customer service rep, she told me that she talked to the hotel manager and was told that there was a lot of stay overs from the previous night. Don't you thing out of respect for people who have confirmations they could've called me and let me know that I wouldn't have the room I booked allowing me to look somewhere else. The one positive is that she did reduce the rate from $144 to $107.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback on the hotel. We are truly sorry for the experience that you had with us and agree that there should have been more measures taken to advise you of the situation before arrival. We thank you for chosing to stay with us and invite you back to let us prove to you how much we appreciate you as our guests. Please contact me directly to rebook your next stay!
holmes beach, fl
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I had a studio and it was perfect ! Like a small apt with all the conveniences of home and located less than 5 minutes from the airport. Breakfast was great with many choices and complimenatary. Internet was also complimentary, which is a big plus! Would definitely stay here again.
The staff is friendly and helpful

Room Tip: My room overlooked a wooded area and was very peaceful.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mayrealtor
Innisfil, Canada
Reviewed 16 May 2012

If this is an example of Residence Inns, I am a new fan!
You can tell something is different as soon as you drive in and park beside the basketball court. A basketball court!!! (Not that I used it, but it gives you an idea what is ahead.
We booked a one bedroom suite which met all our criteria and then some. Virtually an apartment. A full kitchen, including a hot plate, full sized refrigerator, microwave & utensils. Great layout with a separate bedroom off of the living room.
Outside, they provide a smoking area, away from the main entrance. Just a picnic bench, but at least a place to sit, have a smoke and not feel like you are bothering anyone.
Another nice touch: a fire pit in a small social area outside.
The free breakfast was above par. The staff was good.
You can walk to a couple of restaurants but I get the impression the best one is across the street which might be a bit of a tricky maneuver due to traffic.
Congratulations Marriott. Your vison works here!
Oh, by the way, we got all of this for $89 on a weekend, might be double this during the week but still worth it.
Did I mention there is microwave popcorn in the room also! (that one got the wife).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank johntorr
Sanibel Island, Florida
Reviewed 7 May 2012

This is a very nice facility. Convenient to the Jacksonville airport, Jacksonville and I-95. Our room was immaculate and the hotel staff helpful and courteous. The only improvement that I can see would be the breakfast fare which wasn't bad, but not nearly to the level of the rest of the operation.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 6839
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We stayed at this Residence Inn last year for one night before going on our Carnival Cruise. The hotel was nice and we got a studio Queen room which has a full kitchen, large fridge, microwave, etc. and a living room area with a couch, desk and TV. I booked the reservation through the AAA Travel website and got a good rate. The reservation was in my name but I added my boy friends name to the reservation to it as well so they would have it. The rate also included a full hot breakfast unlike many of the other hotels which offer a limited or continental breakfast. When I made my reservation, I called the hotel to inquire about the free shuttle they advertised and if it would take us to the cruise port. I was told by the front desk clerk that there was a shuttle that would take you pretty much anywhere you wanted to go for free (we subsequently found out that’s not quite true). I also informed the clerk prior to our arrival that my boy friend would be arriving a few hours before me on a different flight and I wanted to make sure they would let him in the room. She told me it was no problem and said he would put his name on the file. Yea right ! As we all know sometimes people don’t always do what they say there they are going to do (I have kids….I know that first hand!). I told my BF he might want to call to confirm prior to his arrival which he did. Long story short they had no note on the file and the manager said the reservation was only for 1 person rather than 2 and had no record of him on the reservation. Huh?? My confirmation showed 2 people and since when do they ask the name of other people staying in the room?? I called AAA and they spoke to the manager and got it all straightened out and the manager told the AAA agent that it would be no problem for him to check in early and they would make a note of it on the reservation. My BF called the hotel in the morning before he left for Florida and spoke to the manager and she assured him it would all be fine. Can you guess what happened? Jim arrived only to be told there was no note on the file and they can’t allow him to get into the room because it’s in my name!!! The manager had gone home. The clerk called her and finally after an hour they let him in the room. JEEZ! Needless to say we were not happy campers about this.

The room was very nice and the bed was comfortable. The hotel was clean and had a nice patio area outside with a fire pit, chairs and a BBQ grill area. There was also a really nice basketball court.

After my BF was able to check in he asked the shuttle driver to take him to Wal-Mart. The shuttle driver was friendly and took him to the store and waited for him. There is a nice shopping area and several restaurants near the hotel. The shuttle ride was free but my BF did tip the driver. The same shuttle driver promptly picked me up at the airport a few hours later.

It was Saturday morning….the long awaited day of our cruise. We enjoyed the hot breakfast and realized we needed to head back to Wal-Mart for a few essentials we had forgotten to pack. My BF forgot to pack his shorts and swimsuit – oops! We asked for the shuttle to take us and we were told by the front desk clerk she would call for it but the shuttle doesn’t normally run on Sat?? A black SUV pulled up after a bit. It didn’t look like the Residence Inn van we took last night. The driver took us to the store and waited for us. He did charge us $12 per person. Which I thought wasn’t too bad but it certainly wasn’t a free shuttle. I told the desk clerk that we also needed the shuttle to take us to the cruise port. She set up an 11:00 pick up along with some others that were going. Unfortunately we were running a bit behind due to the last minute trip to Wally world so we missed the 11:00 by 5 minutes. The clerk (who had a deer in the headlights look the entire time we spoke to her) told us they had to leave without us but the driver would be back in about 10 minutes to pick us up. Thirty minutes later no driver. Apparently the driver from the night before was the same one who would be back to get us. He had given my BF his business card so my BF called the limo company and was told the driver had taken some folks to the port and now was off for the rest of the day! I guess no one was coming back for us. My BF asked the company to send another driver. Another driver showed up 10 minutes later and was very friendly. I would recommend staying at the Residence Inn but I would not suggest relying upon the staff for anything or relying on the shuttle.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple