“Hurry up and wait!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Clearwater, Florida
“Hurry up and wait!”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I booked one night about one month in advance. Within a week of my arrival I received an email inviting me to check in online. I thought wow, just like the airlines. I assumed it would get me in an express situation where I walk in and get my room key. So I did it indicating (because they asked) that I'd be there about 5pm.

I arrived at 7pm (tired after a 4 hour drive) and the front desk clerk (who was very nice) said she had to call housekeeping to see if my room was ready. No answer. She called within a few minutes and someone told her they'd go check to see if my room was ready. I was somewhat surprised and thought that was unusual. About 10 minutes later she apologized and said she'd call again and apparently was told they hadn't checked yet or basically, that the room wasn't ready. Meanwhile, another guy walks in after me and they check him in and give him his room key and he goes up.
I asked for a supervisor and she came but explained that because my conference was a special block of rooms they had to be sure it was ready. That made no sense to me. Everyone there (who was checking in) was attending a conference. Finally about 20 minutes after I arrived, the supervisor said "we'll just find you another room with a single king bed; it was because you requested a king bed."

I was happy she found another room, but what was the point of my online check in? I was incredulous. I asked for late check out which they gladly affirmed. But then my door was knocked on at 8:35 a.m. by housekeeping. I didn't answer the door. They came back at about 10:15 and I yelled to them that I had late checkout. They said "oh, ok."

I stay overnight about 50 days per year so I'm not a heavy weight biz traveler, but I've never run across this. Hey, they did give me a coupon for complimentary wifi. I don't need to stay here again. I'm rating them Average, but that's bad for what this calibre of hotel should be.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear CrosaRoadWarrior,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you received at check-in and checkout. We appreciate your comments. If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail, please contact me directly.

Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 18 November 2013

In terms of value, I can not comment, but I can write about the service, quality and cleanliness of the hotel. I am not sure of other 'similar-price' offerings in the area to compare 'value'.

The hotel has wonderful location, walking distance from many 'main' attractions in Jacksonville. Most of the rooms face the river, some the city of course. Front desk agent Amanda, was wonderful and made our stay. We had requested some rooms, and she let us know they were unfortunately occupied.. but our Platinum status was able to provide an upgrade to ocean view room. Rooms ending in even #'s are riverfront.

There is a nice rooftop pool and good size fitness center. Everything as expected, nice place, great location, awesome service. The price of water bottles ($4) was very high, as well as the breakfast is not included; regardless of any IHG status. Downstairs, drinks at the bar are generally $5.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in even #'s are riverfront
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Cagalindo,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. I am pleased our hotel exceeded your expectations, especially with our amazing views and associates. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next stay with us.

Troy, New York
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed here for a conference. Got in really late the night before it started. I got to my floor and it smelled faintly of smoke. My room didn't smell so bad but the bed sheets had an odor to them. The room was not dirty but there was just a lingering smell to everything. If it wasn't so late and I wasn't so exhausted, I would have tried to get my room switched but don't feel like they should be mingling the smoking/non-smoking rooms anyway. The area surrounding the hotel doesn't seem very good. I would not feel comfortable walking around at night on my own. I was not in my room from 8am until 4pm and housekeeping hadn't come by. Overall, pretty disappointed. I expected more from a Hyatt.

Room Tip: If you want a non-smoking room, also request to be on a non-smoking floor.
Dear Jessica P,

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding your stay. We take great pride in providing authentic hospitality and it sounds like we did not succeed. If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail, please feel free to contact me directly.

Garden City, New York
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My stay here was ok, but unremarkable and unmemorable (in fact it was just last week, but already I'm forgetting what it was like) I was there for work, so it was pretty much what I would expect:comfortable, clean, quiet enough. Things that did surprise me though:wifi was not free, and there was no mini-bar or fridge. One complaint: if you book a room, be sure to ask them for one with a view of the river, or at least one with a decent-sized window. My room had just a teeny window at one end (the rest was a blank wall), and it looked out on another wing of the hotel (the one with views) and not much else, so that part was definitely a disappointment.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
Dear Etalius,

Thank you for staying at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront during your conference. We appreciate your feedback. If you are ever back in Jacksonville, we hope you will stay with us again.

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

My room was quiet and comfortable. The hotel is nice and has a nice setting by the river. The lobby offered lemonade in the afternoon which was a nice touch. So I don't get the nickel and dime mentality. The last hotel I was in earlier in the week had free bottled water in the room. And watch out for those room service charges, outrageous!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Ty B,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay. We appreciate your business and hope you will stay with us again.

Glen Allen, Virginia
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency Riverfront for a business conference and I can’t say this is what I expect from this class of hotel. Very friendly prompt check-in. Rooms are comfortable but nothing special. No fridge or microwave, no office chair at desk (of course extra charge for HS internet; I brought my own Mi-Fi so I can’t comment on speed or quality of the hotel HS). Amazing to me that there was only a very basic selection of TV channels and there was no HD. Please, you get HD channels at most Hampton or Fairfield Inns and they can’t swing it at a Hyatt Regency? I tried to get hot water at 5PM, and after literally running water for 20 minutes barely luke-warm was all I could get. (This wastes a LOT of water by the way). Hotel restaurants were expensive, no breakfast places within easy walking distance. There are a number of restaurants 2-3 blocks away in the Jacksonville Landing area on the river for lunch or dinner. Get a block off of the waterfront and you have an uncomfortable very empty downtown with panhandlers on nearly every block. No wonder this hotel is so far down in the rankings.

Dear 30-State Traveler,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you received during your stay. If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail, please contact me directly.

Oxford, Mississippi
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed for several days while attending a professional conference. I called for a reservation the day after the announced date to begin making reservations, only to be told that all allotted rooms were filled. I asked just how many rooms were set aside for the conference (which registered more than 400 attendees); the lady on the phone refused to provide the information, or any information other than that I would have to pay more than $200 a night to stay in the hotel.

I realize that some places now charge such extortionate amounts, but I would imagine that for this sort of money the room would be fairly nice. Not even slightly. Beds (two queens -- I had requested a king) were old and worn out. There was no side chair or easy chair in the room at all -- just an office chair at a work desk. No refrigerator or mini-bar of any sort. Water temperature in the shower varied widely without warning; easy to be scalded and/or frozen.

$15 per night for self parking, on top of the room rates? Inexcusable. Think you'll get free wireless service for such a pricey package? Think again! Upon check-in I asked for a room on the river side; receptionist told me that there is usually an additional fee of $35/night for those rooms, but that she could cut me a deal and let me have it for only $15/night. Lovely. So while I was waiting for my key, the person ten feet away from me requested a room away from the river. Receptionist told him that there was normally a $25/night fee for those rooms, but he could get it for $15/night.

This is NOT a resort area -- it's 12 miles from the beaches. Service was adequate, but just that; nothing exceptional.

Generally, room condition and amenities were on a par with those of an average Super 8 motel. If you want to spend $200/night for that level of quality, this is absolutely the place for you. If, however you're going to put out that kind of money for lodging, you should probably look around a little; truly, you can do much better than the Hyatt Riverfront.

Room Tip: Makes no difference -- apparently you're going to be gouged no matter WHAT room you request.
1 Thank sfbinms
Dear Sfbinms,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay. I am sorry our hotel was not too your liking. We appreciate your business and hope you will give our hotel another try. If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail, please contact me directly.