“Staff made it a great experience”

Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront
Ranked #11 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tampa, Florida
“Staff made it a great experience”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I was here on business and the conference I was attending was happening at the same time as a country music festival nearby. The place was packed and active well into the night. The staff worked hard to keep things under control and nobody every lost their cool. I was greeted with a smile everywhere I went and when I needed anything it was taken care of. I did check in late, but I was at the check-in desk for a total of 5 minutes tops. I enjoyed it and if I go back to Jacksonville, I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your positive comments regarding Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We are so pleased your enjoyed all aspects of our hotel. We appreciate your business and hope you will come back to Jacksonville in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Kristine Hall
Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Waking up in the morning with a view of the Riverfront is so special. A early sunrise glistening over the waterways. Refreshing to start the day. Visiting Jacksonville for the Jazz Festival. The Hyatt Regency Riverfront was the Official Host Hotel of the 2014 Jacksonville Jazz Festival. Had a great weekend and the Hotel was a great host. Room clean, Desk Clerks helpful, polite, and accommodating! The Breakfast Buffet was excellent. I would stay at this hotel again! No major problems. By the way the Jazz Festival was great!!! If you’re a Jazz enthusiast and you attend the Jazz Fest in 2015 you'll be in musical heaven!

Room Tip: Grab a room with the Riverfront view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elliott S
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Also, will not be back to this Hyatt or any other. Called to confirm our reservation and when we got there after the USA game we were told that there were no rooms. We would be put into another hotel 25 minutes away "possibly as far as Brunswick, GA". I asked if there were any rooms south of Jacksonville and we were told flat "NO". The staff and the manager were nice but blamed the Corporate office and a Director of rooms Kristine Hall. They did a very good job of calming me down for I was irate. However; the concierge was an terrible and needs to be fired. There were 50 to 75 Nigerian Nationals in the lobby waiting for transfers to another hotel that said the had been there for "some time". The two valet dudes said there were "hundreds of angry people".

My fault; the same thing happened in Hollywood, FL a couple of months ago. They moved me from our original hotel then didn't have a room with two queen beds. My 9 year old autistic son had to sleep on the couch. never again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bill S
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for posting your comments. If you would please contact Kristine Hall, Director of Rooms at Kristine.hall@hyatt.com or 904-360-8620, to discuss the situation she would appreciate the opportunity to explain. It was an unfortunate situation that occurred this night and the hotel did offer refunds; paid for alternative hotel rooms and offered Gold Passport Points as compensation. We did have the Nigerian Team as our guests that week, as they may have been in the lobby awaiting transportation to the field. We look forward to hearing from you.
Utah
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed in this hotel for two nights. Would have stayed for just one night, but could not find another hotel nearby. Hotel had so many conferences going on at the same time it affected the stay for those of us who were there for leisure time. The restaurant ran out of food for the morning breakfast buffet. The bed was so uncomfortable the first night I slept on a sofa bed the second night. The water smells terrible and tastes like dirt (literally). Would not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wanderlustutah
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Wanderlustutah,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your most recent stay. I’m sorry your overall experience was not a positive one. We appreciate your business and hope you will give our hotel another stay. If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail, feel free to contact me directly.

Kind Regards,
Kristine Hall
Director of Rooms
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 9 June 2014

If I make a reservation at a hotel weeks in advance and am told at check-in that there are no rooms available, well, I'm going to give that hotel the worst possible rating in as many places as possible.

We were among dozens (possibly hundreds) of fans who showed up to check in - all with confirmed reservations - after Saturday night's U.S. soccer match in Jacksonville and were turned away. No explanation was given. (My sympathies, though, to the helpless desk clerks who manned the front lines that night where, through no fault of their own, they had to politely ruin the festive mood of droves of U.S. soccer fans.) We were offered a room at an airport hotel that was at least an hour's drive away given the postgame traffic trying to leave Jacksonville. Of course, avoiding a horrendous drive was the very reason we reserved a room less than 2 miles from the stadium. Ironically, two airline pilots showed up after us and were given a room.

We stayed to have a drink and food with friends. The Hyatt appears to have recognized the poor choice of dining options nearby, so it provides overpriced, mediocre food.

Before we left, we visited with friends who were lucky enough to have their reservations honored. My son immediately noted the dank smell of the hallways. I have lived my whole life in Florida, and I know full well that, despite the humidity here, no building should smell like that, much less an "upscale" hotel.

Clearly, the Hyatt Regency thinks it is a premier hotel in downtown Jacksonville. It is not.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for posting your comments. If you would please contact Kristine Hall, Director of Rooms at Kristine.hall@hyatt.com or 904-360-8620, to discuss the situation she would appreciate the opportunity to explain. It was an unfortunate situation that occurred this night, the hotel did offer refunds, paid for alternative hotel rooms and offered Gold Passport Points as compensation. We look forward to hearing from you.
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I will never come back to this Hyatt or any other Hyatt ever again. We booked rooms at this hotel 4 months in advance for a USA - Nigeria soccer game in Jacksonville. We called a couple days prior to see if we could check in early and the concierge informed is that we could try when we got there. We arrived around 11am and were told we couldn't check in until after 3pm, which was perfectly okay, only when we returned after the game at 9pm we were informed that we no longer had rooms at this facility and would be moved to a Fairfield inn miles away, without a refund, which we all know is a much lessor grade of hotel. Apparently all of the managers aren't onsite (of course on an extremely busy weekend in which every room is booked, there are no managers around) and we couldn't even get a business card for a anyone above concierge level. We watched them hand cards over to some new arrivals and withhold rooms from other, clearly profiling who would be denied as they approached the desk. As a young professional engineer, I do not appreciate being so insulted. The ladies behind the counter were nice and accommodating, I understand and respect that their orders come from a higher power, but this is unacceptable. After much debate back and forth we were given one room, cab fare to the Fairfield for the other room, and reimbursed parking. This is beyond aggravating as 1. They obviously do have rooms to give and 2. These accommodations and a full refund should have been offered as soon as we arrived at 11am this morning.

The way the Hyatt has handled this whole situation is absolutely ghastly. I've watched person after person be told this news with no explanation or total reimbursement and the 12 professionals I am with will never patron a Hyatt again. This is ridiculous - we are absolutely disgusted.

Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Jillian A
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Let me first say that downtown Jacksonville is really nothing special. There's not much to do unless you're here for an event, as we were. Fair warning.

On to the Hyatt. We had a pleasant stay overall, so here is the pro/con list:

Pros: Great, central location. Walking distance to riverside shopping, food area with lots of live music at night. Close to Everbank stadium where big events and shows play. (We were here for US soccer match). Very nice staff (lots of yes ma'm/ no ma'm and southern hospitality). Hotel lobby is beautiful with plenty of relaxing space, bar space and a big restaurant. They even have a smaller sports bar separate from the main area, which was nice because it keep the noise down. Clean room. Starbucks coffee in room. Good a/c. Free wifi if you join the free Hyatt club. The river view is very pretty and we saw lots of dolphins!

Cons: above mentioned riverside food and shopping area is a bit rundown and the restaurant we ate at was terrible. There didn't seem to be good restaurant options nearby. While the room was clean, it was very outdated and our mattress was uncomfortable. The toilet worked SO well that when we flushed it, it sounded like a jet engine. We were almost scared. :)

Truthfully, this hotel is fine for a short trip. The staff was accommodating and pleasant. We just felt the class of people here is not high calibre. Very casual crowd. Nice, but flip flops and beer kinda folks. (Use that opinion however you'd like)

Room Tip: River view is the best. Other rooms look at the bridge, which is not terrible either.
Green Features: Did not notice any environmental awareness but according to the website, they employ such practices. The, apparently, use efficient appliances, etc. This is not a big decider for us when choosing a hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family