“Below Hyatt Standards”

Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront
Ranked #10 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I've stayed at many Hyatts over the years (DC, Chicago, NY and, my favorite, Key West, among them). In my view, this is the worst Hyatt that I have encountered in terms of quality of the property. Very run down in the rooms and common areas. My AC stopped functioning during my stay and all I got was a big "sorry". Really? You can't maintain your AC? In June? In Florida? That said, I found the staff to be pleasant and helpful (AC issue aside). I also enjoyed the restaurant for breakfast and the sports bar. I assume that the location is convenient for business, but from a tourist perspective, there was nothing to see in the area as far as I could tell (the JAX Landing area is useful for a bite to eat but is not a destination for your scrap book or Facebook page). Finally, my comparison to other Hyatts may not be entirely fair as in my wanderings, I'm not sure I saw a better alternative.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank KWLV
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

KWLV,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you received. If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail, please contact me directly.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Although the hotel staff was very nice and accommodating, the area around the hotel was not safe. At least I did not feel safe at The Landing, which was touted as the place to go. Too many vagrants. The water in the hotel was awful, and smelled really bad. The hotel needs some maintenance and I understand it is in foreclosure. I feel bad writing such a bad review because it is really not the staff's fault. I would never stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank ocionmist
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Ocionmist,

Thank you for staying at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We are sorry to hear you did not feel safe around the area. The city takes great pride ensuring our patrons feel at home. In regards to the hotel, your information is incorrect. The hotel is not in foreclosure. We appreciate your business and hope you will give our hotel another try.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed at the Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront the weekend of June 14/15, 2014 to attend The Superfest Country Concert. The hotel was very nice, my room was clean and nice view of the river and Landings. Thank You Hyatt for the $2 shuttle to concert that was great. Also enjoyed the pool it was great to meet new friends. I would stay here again if I return to Jacksonville...........

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brenda F
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Brenda F,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback regarding your stay at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We are so pleased you chose Hyatt while attending Country Superfest. If you are ever back in the Jacksonville area, we hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Overall, the hotel was very good. The rooms are well furnished and comfortable. Given that this is Florida, I was still surprised to fine a dehumidifier running in the room. The noise was a bit of a problem and kept me awake some.
The area near the meeting rooms was damp and musty smelling, as was the area on the second floor leading to the parking garage.
Two issues- the parking on the third level of the garage opens into the access to the hotel, but it only has stairs so you have to carry your bags down instead of having a ramp available.
Other thing was we rented a meeting room for the day, cost $150 was not bad, but then they told us there was an additional $50 charge for a key to the room. That meant that when we broke for lunch, we had to lock the room and wait for someone to come open it. That made no sense and we just dealt with waiting to get in. Very odd when all they had to do was program the key like the room keys.
The restaurant food was good, but we had really bad service the first day at dinner. Breakfast the next day was much better service.

Room Tip: There really didn't seem to be any good views. You can get a view of the river, but you are just...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jeff T,

Thank you for staying at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We are pleased you enjoyed your overall experience and appreciate your feedback regarding your meeting room. In regards to the dehumidifier in your room, it was actually a purifier. It looks like you were placed in one of PURE rooms. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences while in the room. If you are ever back in Jacksonville, we hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I was in town for a Regional Convention as an Executive Board member, I thoroughly enjoyed the hotel amenities and the staffs promptness and attention to details. The Hyatt is a very, very busy hotel given its location, but the service is incredible.

The Stay
The stay was a pleasant one and our event coordinator was beyond exceptional. She made herself available and was readily able to provide various things as we needed it. Whenever we asked her of something, we had it with in moments. Very, very great service above and beyond the call of duty. our Executive board got frequent free passes, vouchers, free coffee, and so many extras that were unexpected!

The Room
The rooms were very nice, we had a block that was reserved which included rooms and suites and they were very nice. The hotel was very clean, the towels were removed daily and no problems with any members of the staff. The view from the room is exceptional and you can open up your window completely for a wonderful breeze and a great view of the Jacksonville river landscape!

As a Conventional Hotel
Though the service was excellent and the staff was impeccable, I would not recommend this hotel again for the board as a venue for our convention, unlike other venues you do not have a designated area for each convention, we were placed in area where 2 other conventions were going on simultaneously and the rooms were commingled as well as the spaces. (Ie we would have rooms 104, 105 107 another group would have 106, 108 etc etc). Our group was consistently getting asked questions about another convention and there was only a small sign dictated with arrows to the directions of the convention. It would be much more efficient, if it was separated and only one convention per designated area. Not to mention we had different events on different floors, just say it was a logistical nightmare, making sure that all 250 of our convention attendees were at the right place at the right time!!!!

Recommendations:
Do the BREAKFAST BUFFET!!! you will not be disappointed, IT WAS WONDERFUL!!!

Take away
That being Said if I was going on my own not planning a convention, I would not hesitate twice to book this hotel, the staff is wonderful and the service is above and beyond anything I have experienced at a Hyatt.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river front
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AttorneyDay

Ekalisa,

Thank you for your thorough review of Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We appreciate all of your kind comments regarding our hotel. If you are ever back in town for leisure, we hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Well, the family and I wanted to go to the USA v Nigeria game so I called American Express Platinum Concierge Service to get the tickets and room for Saturday night, they booked this hotel as it was the closest to Everbank Field where the game was being played. Well we arrived around 4pm and the place was a madhouse, we went to check-in and were told ok if we have any rooms, huh? I informed the clerk the I had reservation made through the AmEx Platinum Concierge, upon looking a little harder she apologized and said they're overwhelmed with people without reservations needing rooms, well ok I get it.
The room was clean and the view was nice. As it was getting late we went to the game. When we came back the madhouse continued so we tried to order some food and were told at least 45-60 minutes, so we just got the buffet, which was very good. As thing started to settle down I went to the concierge desk to inquire about a personal request for flowers for my wife and was informed all taken care of, and sure enough, it was! I had a little conversation with him and he stated that both teams and all their staff were staying here and the hotel was being flooded with fans, good to see this. The room was clean and quiet and the bed was comfortable and I would stay again!

Couple of items:
The did the best they could for the amount of people flooding the hotel looking for food/drinks (the bar was over run), autographs, pictures, etc. but as you can imagine this was part of the overall World Cup experience. I would think however, since they have an NFL team they would be used to it but I was informed upon check out they had more than twice the amount of people than rooms! So ok.
They should have been running a shuttle for game goers.
Staff should have been a little more prepared, especially the kitchen and bar.

Rating is tough here because of the shear quantity of people, so remember they did the best they could given this.

But overall a good experience and I would go again,

Room Tip: River View
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Jim G,
Thank you for your very thorough review of Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront over USA vs. Nigeria soccer. We appreciate your kind words. If you are ever back in Jacksonville, we hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Bagboy was very helpful when our non-smoking room smelled of smoke. He called the front desk and within a few minutes, they moved us to another room farther down the hall. I appreciate his quick action to make this a comfortable stay for us.

Room Tip: A river view is worth a little extra.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Tooblessed61,

Thank you for staying at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We appreciate your kind words regarding one of our bellmen. He was able to take a bad situation and turn it positive. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again.