“My stay was a nice one.”

Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront
Ranked #10 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Florida
“My stay was a nice one.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

My friend had a convention here and we stayed the nights of June 21-27. This is an established hotel and had a couple other conventions going on but they were not full or terribly crowded. The front staff were courteous and very accommodating. They met our requests for a room that was on a higher level with a river view. The room was nice and the view was beautiful. We had a balcony that was too small to sit on but we enjoyed the view anyway. The room was quiet and away from the elevator. The shower head was not a very good head but the toilet, sink and air conditioning worked great. Everything was very clean. The maids we had were very nice and helpful. They would give us extra coffee which my friend really appreciated. We ate away from the hotel mostly but did visit the Einstein Bagels. What we ate was tasty and not bad on the pricing. Every time we went there, customers were packed out the door, but the line moved quickly for such a small shop. We loved the location of the hotel. We did not have children with us but the pool (which was on our floor) looked very nice and had quite a few bathers in it when we would pass by. The only down sides we had during our stay were that the room did not have a refrigerator/microwave and that our parking card would not work most of the time. The parking was included in the group price and so was the internet service so we didn't pay extra. Overall we were very pleased with our experience.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the river and on a high level. We were on the pool level and had a great...
Green Features: I am glad they use energy efficient light bulbs, towel reuse and non-toxic pest control.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Shelby B, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Greetings FloridaElaine,

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review. We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us during your friend's convention. We truly appreciate your detailed response in regards to our property and amenities. Thank you again for your kind words. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in Downtown Jacksonville.

Kind regards,
Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
Lexington Park, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I have stayed at Hyatt twice before. Once in Atlanta and more recently in Albuquerque, NM. These stays were for business and were excellent so I was looking forward to this stay with my family.

First the pros. The location is on the water and the view from the room was excellent. We had the shades open all night! I did not purchase any meals but the TSSUS conference I was attending with my family was catered by Hyatt and the food was good. Jacksonville Landing, Einstein Bagels, and Northstar Pizza all were within walking distance offering excellent lower cost alternatives for travelers with young children. Checkin was friendly and the rooms were quiet.

On to the Cons: The bathroom was terrible. It took two flushes to clear, this after a visit from maintenance. The commode and the bathtub were stained and looked dirty and disgusting. House keeping was mediocre. Since I was traveling with with kids I requested extra shampoos and bath towels the first night which was promptly delivered. However, for the next two days of our stay, every morning I left a note for the housekeeping to leave at least four bath towels and four shampoo and four conditioners. Every day I found only TWO sets of shampoo and conditioner. When I booked the room I requested a refrigerator. This is a must for us as my daughter takes growth hormone shots and the medicine needs to be refrigerated. When I checked in I asked the registration agent to check that a refrigerator is available and she confirmed that it was already in the room. However, there was no refrigerator in the room. I called guest service and they informed me it can be provided for a $40 charge. I would have liked to know about this charge when I booked the room. I travel frequently and often request a fridge and was never before charged a fee. I am an elite traveler in Marriott and Hilton chain which I am not in Hyatt thus my next statement is probably comparing apples and oranges. However, in those chains I feel pampered. In this stay I did not get that feeling.

Will I stay in this hotel again? If a conference I am attending is held in this property, Maybe. Otherwise no. However, I am not writing Hyatt chain off for just one bad stay.

Room Tip: High floor with a river view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Dad_first,
feedback regarding your stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you received. This is not Hyatt standards. Please do not let this one negative instance persuade you from not staying at Hyatt again. We appreciate your business and hope you will give us another stay.

Kristine.hall@hyatt.com
McKinney, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at this property several times. The staff is great (pretty much true of all Hyatt properties that I have visited). My last visit was with my family and we were treated very well. Previous visits had been for business.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the river!
Green Features: Standard Hyatt practices. GreenLeaders Silver Leaf
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Evan W.,
Thank you for your continued loyalty to Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We are so pleased you have enjoyed all of your stays with us, both personal and business. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next stay with us.

Montana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed Thurs-Tues for a conference. The pool was closed starting on Saturday, the hallway carpets looked like a Super 8 not a Hyatt. 2 days trash was left in trash cans. They left glasses and coffee cups in the room. They won't leave carts so you can load yourself. After 6 days, we had a lot to pack up. Waited almost 10 to get the cart then had to send the guy away because he wouldn't leave it. Self Park is $15, valet is $20, needed a microwave for leftovers but was told the night before we left, that a microwave cost $25 for your entire stay. Internet was $10/day, no discounts for multiple days. We asked for a refrigerator that they gave to us but was apt size and dented, leaned to the front so had to lift it back to open and close it The valet guys were super nice, front desk was nice but service, not as much. One restaurant was closed for renovations. Price of hotel restaurant breakfast buffet was $18.95. I had 3 children with me, 10, 7 and 5 and only 1 was free, the other 2 cost $8.95. The buffet consisted of eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, breads and biscuits and gravy, again Super 8 worthy. The pillows were flat and there was a light bulb missing from one of the lamps.

The good side is that it is right on the water, quiet area and Jacksonville Landing is 2 blocks away. The room is nice sized, not small like some can be.

1 Thank Delta67
Dear Delta67,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you received. This is definitely not Hyatt standards. In regards to the hallway carpet and condition of hotel, please know that we are in the beginning phases of a renovation. We appreciate your business and hope you will stay with us again.

Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel stay was the WORST I have ever experienced. My husband, who travels around the country, agrees 100%. The experience was so horrible that we will not even visit Jacksonville again!
1. Our hotel room had its A/C malfunctioning (wouldn’t go below 69 degrees, we were sweating at night), so we complained at the front desk on Monday morning. No one came at all, there was no note from anyone, or a follow up call, nothing!

2. The pool had yellow spots by the filter (inside the pool).

3. The iron was broken at the top

4. I order a room order of quesadillas for $14 and when we checked our bank statement that night, they charged us $151! We talked to the food services manager the following day and his response was that the charge was showing in our hotel account but he didn’t know where it came from. His solution was for us to call our bank the next day instead of “I’ll look into it and talk to the personnel.” What a manager!

5. My husband paid for the parking and the card didn’t work. We had to go to the front desk (again) to get it activated.

6. But the worse by far was the hotel restaurant. I asked our server for warm milk and she gave me this look with an attitude that made me feel uncomfortable. She didn’t ask if everything was ok, or if we needed anything, she didn’t even refilled our orange juice or even ask us if we wanted more. We went to Golden Coral the night before and we were treated with more respect by their server than your restaurant server!

7. The restaurant would only take out 5 bagels at a time, there were no waffles, and the pancakes were too small. It felt like a cheap hotel restaurant with the worst service and illogical food choices.

8. The day we were going to leave, some employee knock on our door at 8am when I was still waking up. My husband opened the door for her to say “sorry" and left without another word.

9. No one placed under the door or on the door’s handle the summary of charges for our check out. Isn’t this a simple hotel procedure? Every other hotel does it.

This hotel must be an embarrassment to the Hyatt due to its such poor service and disrespectful personnel.

Room Tip: Just don't go
Green Features: Restaurant server was disrespectful, they didn't fix our room A/C, we were sweating at night. Horrible experience!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Olga V
Dear Olga V,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay. We are sorry for the inconveniences you received. If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail please contact me directly. We hope you will give our hotel another stay.

Niceville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

I invited my friend and her daughter to join us for the NAM pageant at the Jax Hyatt. We checked in on the Fourth of July and were really looking forward to some relaxing mini-vacation time at what we thought (from the pic) was a gorgeous, rooftop pool. Yuck! My friend and I wouldn't even get in, and against our better judgement, we allowed our 10 year old girls to swim. The rooftop was huge, but the pool was tiny and crowded with raucous young boys. I'm surprised that I am the first reviewer to bring up the false advertising of the pool. Beyond that, we were woken up both mornings before 6am with a child yelling "cannon ball" (we were not near the pool) and his loud family. The second time it happened I called the front desk and although they said they would call security, it was too late. We were already awake. Tired, but awake. The service in the lounge was horrible. Food was okay, but a bit high-priced. The people at the front desk were sub par to say the least. I was surprised that a relatively new hotel of this size didn't even have refrigerators in the room. This is a pretty hotel. That's where it ends.

Room Tip: Find out which room would be the quietest. The walls must be paper thin.
3 Thank Lexismom1229
Dear Lexismom1229,

Thank you for your sharing your experience. We are sorry for the inconveniences you received during your stay. We have addressed your concerns regarding the pool. If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail please contact me directly. We hope you will give our hotel another try.

Bonaire, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

My family and I were at this hotel this past Fourth of July weekend for the National American Miss pageant. When we first made the reservations, they made us two separate reservations because one night wasn't included with the group rate. We were told we would be set to stay in the same room. When we arrived to the hotel, it was very late (11:30pm) and the lady at the front desk confirmed us for only one night. After going through the whole ordeal, she finally saw we were in for three nights. We asked her if we had to move, and she again assured we didn't have to. She then advised us parking was $15 and wanted to charge us $15 for the first night and then the $5 group rate parking for the rest. We didn't argue, we were too tired. The next morning we went down the the front desk because we weren't too certain that the woman we spoke to the previous night was all there, and to our surprise the lady at the front desk told us everything opposite of what the evening front desk lady told us. She informed us that we indeed did have to move rooms because the guest coming in had requested to be near the elevator. I informed her that as current in house guests, we were not moving to satisfy the request (which is not guaranteed) of a guest that hasn't arrived. I've worked in the hospitality business as a front desk agent for many years, and I believe the girl that placed us in our room the previous night upgraded us and placed us there because they didn't realize we had two separate reservations, so with the hotel being full, they just needed to fill that room with a one night stay for that night. I know how the game works, I used to do it all the time working front desk. Anyways, the lady told us she'd get a manager. I kid you not when I say we waited almost 30 minutes between the lady trying to figure how to fix this and then a manager coming to solve the issue. We had a tight schedule and I felt we wasted way too much time at that front desk. After time wasted, the issue was fixed and we didn't move. The manager was very friendly, apologized for the inconvenience and that was that. Breakfast and lunch in Their main restaurant was not bad, but the service made it outstanding. One morning we had Gentiana as a waitress, and she was unbelievably wonderful! They didn't have French toast that day as an option, and she personally went to the chef and asked that he make it for me, and he did and she didn't add that to our bill, she considered it part of the buffet. Super nice young lady and went above and beyond. Our server in the lounge...can't rave too much about. We waited an hour for our food, and it wasn't even warm when we got it. The manager took care of it for us though since we didn't eat it, and cleared us of the bill....long story short. Our housekeeper Ms. Debby I think her name was, was amazing.

A few things I noticed about this hotel....they nickel and dime the heck out of you! If you want wireless in the room, be prepared to pay for it. Ridiculous. I think the lowest amount was $9.95 or $14.95 for 24 hours. Also, the rooms do not have mini fridges or microwaves, so if you plan on going to eat or eating in their facility, you have no where to put leftovers. They will inform you of the two microwaves they have in the lobby by the restrooms....eww...by the restrooms? That's also pretty inconvenient when you're on the 16th floor. Breast feeding mothers, be prepared to bring a cooler. You can request a mini fridge/microwave when you make your reservation, but as always a request is NEVER guaranteed. I think for how nice this hotel is, and for how much you have to pay for other amenities, there should have been at least a mini fridge.

Overall, our stay wasn't horrible, it was actually pretty good. The staff...well mostly managers in our case will do just about anything to make you happy, even if you do not ask for it, and almost everyone is pretty accommodating. I feel like this hotel is geared more to accommodate their business guests....my opinion only. I guess, to me, there was just something missing. I expected more from a Hyatt. I'm still trying to get over the lack of microwave and fridge. You can easily get that at a Comfort or Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: Request a room on the riverside if you want to have a nice view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Ariel T
Dear intheZIN11,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We are sorry for the inconvenience you received during check-in; however we are glad to see our staff was able to change it around. Thank you for the warm and kind comments regarding one of our servers. We will definitely ensure she sees your review. If you are ever back in Jacksonville, we hope you will stay with us again.