“very nice hotel, be ready to spend some cash”

Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront
Ranked #12 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 31 March 2009

I traveled to jacksonville for a weekend and chose the hyatt because of its good rep. When my boyfriend and I arrived the hotel seemed clean and well kept, it looked like a pretty nice place.
The first room we booked winded up being a bit small, so the next was a suite, this winded up being a bit expensive but totally worth it. The room was great, clean and very cozy. The pool area was nice and maintained well (the pool was on the roof) the gym was average and the food at the restaurants was great but a bit pricy. For the same price we stood in bed and ordered room service.
Overall the hotel was nice (the atlanta Falcons stood there the same weekend so it had to be top notch). If your willing to spend some money this is top pick compaired to the other hotles in Jacksonville.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LBorges526
Write a ReviewReviews (3,015)

Reviewed 31 March 2009

One of the worst Hyatt Hotels I have ever stayed at. Was there for an education conference and while there was plenty of room, the amenities were horrendous. The chairs for the meetings were the most uncomfortable I have seen. The hot tub was broken and we were told there was no plan to fix it. I was charged $ 30 per night for an upgrade while someone in the same party was charged only $ 20. Our gold club membership was not credited. We were charged for each room (4 Rooms) when we only had two rentals. They could not understand that we only had two vehicles. The area around the hotel is very dangerous and the Jacksonville Landing has definately seen better days. Many shops have closed, was there for a concert and it looked like a drunken junior high school party. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2009

I chose this hotel, because my older teens love going down to the Jacksonville Landing which is within walking distance of the Hyatt. They had a concert both nights, and the kids really liked it. We stayed a weekend in March. I booked a suite with 2 Queen beds and booked EARLY. When I arrived, I discovered that they had given me a suite but with a King size bed in lieu of the 2 Queens. No problem though, since we didn't have as many people in the party as expected. I ordered a roll away (there was plenty of room); problem solved. The sofa in the room had quite a few stains. Other than that, it was a nice room - clean, neat, roomy. That night, we noticed it getting very warm in the room and discovered the A/C wasn't working properly. Luckily it was cool outside, and the room wasn't unbearable. I called the next morning, they sent someone up right away, and the unit was fixed and cooling. We left the room for the day, but the room was still cool when we arrived later that evening. Around 2 am, the unit just quit. Again, it was cool outside, so it wasn't miserable - just uncomfortable. I relayed this information to the front desk the next morning at check out, and I simply received an apology with a request to stay with them again soon. Was he kidding? It was a $270 a night room, and there was no offer to discount the room at all. They couldn't move me, because the hotel was booked solid. I will not stay again. There are several other hotels in the area that are just as nice. I wasn't expecting a total refund, just some sort of offer to discount or a credit toward another stay. Nothing! I was very surprised.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank angelalee511
Reviewed 16 March 2009

I followed directions from my GPS to the Hyatt, and I was quite worried about the location as we drove through downtown Jacksonville. It seemed as though there were homeless shelters on every street corner, and I am certain I saw an illegal drug transaction just a few blocks from the hotel.

Once we got to the Hyatt it felt like we had arrived at an oasis . . . such a strange contrast from just two blocks away. We were greeted by a manager and two bellhops opening our car doors and immediately taking our luggage.

We were allowed to check in four hours early, which was beneficial since we had driven over 12 hours all night, but the air conditioner in our room was not working. The bellhop immediately called to the front desk and got us a new room. The second room had the same drab view of a roof and the county courthouse, but that was fine since the view from the rooftop pool and gym more than made up for it.

The room was a typical hotel room, but with a touch of luxury. The beds were very comfortable, and the toiletries name-brand. My only complaint is the mold in the grout of the shower, which ruined the illusion of being in a high-class hotel. The toilet also sounded like it was jet propelled, but the need for that is understandable with such a large building.

I got a great deal on this room through priceline.com; therefore, I am not going to be so picky. If I had paid the full price (over $200), I would most certainly be more critical, but overall, the service was great and we had a peaceful sleep.

PROS: Service with a smile, small luxuries, pool/gym location on the 19th floor roof.
CONS: Shady people just outside the hotel, mold in the shower, $15 for self-parking.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2009

The best part about the Hyatt is checking in and checking out. if you can, ckeck in in the afternoon. Bobby Ross(door man) works in the afternoon (3-11) and is AWESOME!
Outside of that, there's really not alot to write home about; $20 a day parking, $10 a day wired internet, about 20 channels of cable, pay for use local calling, overpriced with less than worthy taste roomservice ($2.50 delivery + a %19 automatic gratuity). The water @ the Hyatt feels like its mixed w/ baby oil. Granted, the skin is soft, but I never felt the soap was completely off. I felt... slick the whole time.
There are no phonebooks, nor Bibles in any of the rooms. Your guess is as good as mine on that one. You have to call the conseirge for EVERYTHING. Unless you have a laptop with WiFi (ours got hit by lightning a while back), you are relegated to asking a complete stranger to make calls, look up numbers, addresses, etc;.
Make sure you ask for an updated menu. Ours was not. Nothing in it was still avaliable.
Be mindful of misc. "fees" that can appear on your bill upon checkout. We were charged $15 a day for "self-parking". Which we did not do. We went across the street to the courthouse for about $6 a day. Hyatt removed the charges, but not until we brought it to their attention.
We didn't know for sure how "kid friendly" (3 of 'em; ages 4, 2 and <1) it would be, but it was better than we expected. The staff was extremely friendly to us and them. Especially Mr. Ross. Nobody complained about them, even @ their worst. Which was nice. If one or all of them came back tired, hungry, sunburned, whatever, a staff member was right there to help in any way.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2009

I'm a business traveler and previously had stayed at this hotel, it's old and noisy but it's also close to were I frequently conduct business.

After returning home from a short leisure stay, I discovered I had been charged (with no previous notification) and additional $250.00 cleaning fee. I called the hotel to inquire and they said "smoke" was detected in the room. I explained that I do NOT smoke and they agreed to investigate. That was 10 days ago, still waiting..

I understand hotels are having a hard time but making up fees is not the way to go. The hotel is on the old side of things and my room looked worn out; I was ok with the decent room but the abusive cleaning fee & their tactics leave a lot to be desired. I will not return.. if you do, watch out for the $250.00 cleaning fee.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2009

We stayed her on points because we couldn't get a reasonable rate on the night we needed. This was our second stay. We really enjoy the dining options at the hotel. Although it is downtown and not airport proximate, the hotel is convenient for flights in and out of the region because it is an easy ride to the airport about 30 minutes to the north. The steakhouse is great and the breakfast buffet won't disappoint. The hotel property itself is bland, sterile, corporate, but adequate.

My only complaint was with the valet. We drove up and I had to get out and run the valet attendant down to get our car parked. She was a rude little lady with no business doing that job. I heard this type of thing still goes on in the deep south (toward African-Americans) and by the time we checked in I was clearly steamed... actually I was spitting mad!!! The front desk attendant was VERY apologetic, she gave us free breakfast vouchers and sent a nice welcome amenity to our room later that evening. Since the hotel tried to make things right we would probably stay here again..

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple