“Nice place, but get your wallet out at every turn.”

Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront
Ranked #12 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 31 January 2011

We stayed at the Hyatt Riverfront on a Friday night to see a comedy concert at the nearby Times Union Center. We got a nice government rate, but the bargain stopped cold there. We called ahead to see if any room had a microwave, as we were bringing some finger food for a quiet gathering with our friends before the show. The hotel advised us that they could bring us a refrigerator for $25 a night, and a microwave for $40 a night. We were really tempted to stop and by a $40 microwave on the way in just to make a statement... but I wasn't allowed.

We arrived to find the lobby parking area to be a mess of vehicles. We were prepared for the $20 per day valet charge ($15 self park, but don't be thinking you'll get a luggage cart), and we planned to use bell service as well. So the waiting began. First we were directed to get checked in first (by a bell service rep who demanded to hold our car key), so we went inside and waited for about 15 minutes to check in. After a pleasant and easy check-in, we went back out to claim our bags and get the car taken care of. It took a couple of minutes for a bellman to get to us. He quickly loaded our bags onto a cart. I asked about the car, and the gentleman directed me to the valet window, which was unoccupied. I waited for a minute or two, reclaimed my key from the bellman, and left to go to the room with the bellman. BUT WAIT... he wasn't a bellman at all. He was a doorman. He took me to the bell stand, and handed us off to a different, so he could take us upstairs. Another guy, another tip.
Otherwise? A pleasant stay. The carpet in our hallway (15th floor) was a bit worn. There was a bit of a moldy smell in the hallway. The view was incredible, and well worth the upgrade to the river side. Our friends on the 4th floor had a phone that wouldn't work, and a fan blowing the moldy smell around in the hallway.

Our room was basic, with upscale bedding and furniture. The "balcony" is only a sliding door with a substantial rail to keep you from falling over. Every other room on this floor had about 6 inches of balcony you could negotiate if you were determined.

We used the free shuttle (supposedly good for a 3 mile area). It consists of a cabbie that hangs around to get the trips for tips. He "recommends" $2 per person for the service, which was ok with us.

Check out was even worse. I first went to try to get a cart so we could begin to organize our load of stuff, but no way in he LL will they let you have one of those carts even for a minute. You might beat one of the 12 guys lined up out of their tips. So once we got organized, I called the desk and asked for bell service and to have our valeted car brought around. The bellman was about 5 minutes getting there (fine), and helpful on the way down. Then came the doorman/luggage loader. He parked our bags right in the middle of the way of the main door in and out, and disappeared while we waited for our car. And waited... and waited. 20 mins later I inquired, and the lady in the little both gave me a sharp "NOBODY CALLED ME!". 5 mins later the car arrived. Meanwhile the bell captain had disappeared, and about 8 cars had clogged the way in, including a large SUV blocking the entrance. Those folks had left the car and gone inside (tired of waiting no doubt). So I'm lobbying the bellman to take us out in the street to our car and load us up, but no dice. Another 5 of scrambling around, and a pocket full of tips later (bellman, doorman, valet), we were out of there. See ya.

I've stayed in some fine hotels before, and I am quite used to the bellman being my buddy. Help with the bags, arrange for the car, show me the room, answer my questions, and EXPEDITE my arrival departure. This Hyatt's multi-tipping system slows you down considerably. I frankly assumed it was a union shop, but the bellman said that there were not unionized.

Everyone but the parking lady was nice, while they were shaking my by the ankles, but the shoddy, expensive service was a black mark on an otherwise lovely outing.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank zjxtinpusher
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2011

Dear zjxtinpusher,

Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent stay at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville. We were sorry to hear that our hotel was not up to your expectations. We strive on providing 'authentic' hospitality and in your case; we were not able to deliver. If you would like to discuss your stay in a more private matter, please feel free to contact the hotel directly.

Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (3,015)

Reviewed 12 January 2011

I've stayed here for 2 nights and things have been okay until I find out that the towels on top of the shelf have not been cleaned. When I pulled out one of them, so much dust came off with it and I had to change my entire clothes and take a shower again. This is NOT acceptable for any hotel, and that's why I am writing a review for future travelers. This was very disappointing, and I would not visit this hotel ever again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank hdl_jb

Dear hdl_jb,

I am sorry to hear of your recent experience at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville. This is not what guests should come to expect while staying with a Hyatt property. If you would like to discuss your stay in a more private matter, please feel free to contact the hotel directly. We would be happy to further look into this. Thank you.

Hotel Management

Reviewed 30 December 2010

I will never stay at a hyatt again. The Maid stole my computer and a book. They have video of maid cleaning my room. She was the only person to enter my room, I guess my computer walked away by itself. Nothing was done by mangement. I was told she was a good maid had been for six years. Well maybe that is why she is stealing because she is still a maid after six years. They had the nerve to offer me a bottle of wine like that would make me feel better!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank dontstay10
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2011

We are sorry that you are unsatisfied with the resolution of your claim. Please feel free to contact the hotel, or your assigned adjuster with our insurer, to address any concerns you may have.

Thank you ~ Hyatt Regency Jacksonville

Reviewed 1 December 2010

I was in Jacksonville for a conference held in this hotel. The hotel itself is very nice and in a very good location (my room was at the 12th floor and it was facing the river, so I had a nice view).
I had little time during lunch breaks, but it was quick to go to the food court located 10 min walking distance from the hotel.
There are a few pubs/clubs nearby the hotel (max 5 min walking distance) and we could enjoy them during the weekend.
A couple of negative notes:
- I called the reception twice to have more info about high speed access but nobody replied
- On the second last day in the morning I left my suit in the room with the proper form filled for having it dry cleaned, but nobody took it. I called the dry cleaning service but nobody replied.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2010

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review on Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We were glad you enjoyed the comforts of our hotel, especially the spectacular river view. We were also glad to read that you were able to experience some of Jacksonville's hot spots while in town. The management team at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront would like to apologize for a few of your issues that occurred during your stay, although we are glad it did not ruin your entire experience.

Thank you again for your positive comments and we hope to see you again in the near future, whether for business or leisure.

Reviewed 20 November 2010

I stayed at this property from Wednesday, November 18 - Friday, November 19 for a convention and it was a very pleasant stay! I will break my review down by the positives and negatives:

Positives:
-The young gentleman that checked me in (Matthew) was extremely friendly, knowledgeable, professional, helpful, and efficient! Because of him, the check-in experience was a wonderful first impression of this property! I commented on how pleasant he was and he made a reference to me that he has only been there for 90 days! What a great person to have at their front desk.

-I LOVED my room on the 15th floor. I had a gorgeous unobstructed view of the Saint Johns River. It was spectacular!

-The shower water temperature and pressure were both PERFECT! I love piping hot showers and heavy water pressure.

-The bed was extremely comfortable with luxurious linens.

-The air conditioner was quiet and made the room extremely cold, which I love!

-The wireless internet in my room was extremely fast!

-Every hotel staff member I encountered in the hallways were always very friendly and made a concerted effort to say hello.

-I was allowed to get a late check-out with no problem. This was extremely important because I had meetings all morning on my last day.

-The parking garage is connected to the second floor of the hotel and is very convenient.

-Had the breakfast buffet at Trellises (off of the hotel lobby). Our server (a very nice girl from Albania) was wonderful! The buffet was $17.00 (but I think this is the expected price at a convention hotel in a downtown area). The food was fresh and the selection was extensive.

-The food served during the convention was always wonderful!

-Einstein Brothers Bagels is connected to the back of the hotel for some quick eats.

-The hotel is a quick walk to The Jacksonville Landing (Starbucks, Hooters, The American Cafe, etc).

Negatives:
-We arrived back at the hotel on Thursday night at 1:30 A.M. after going out downtown only to find out that room service ended at midnight and there are not really any food options at that hour - within walking distance, on-site, or delivery. This was disappointing. We were starving! I would think a convention hotel of this size would have 24 hour room service, especially when the hotel was sold out during my stay (two different conventions were going on).

-The side entry of the hotel should be locked at night and only accessible with your room key. But, this is not the case. For safety and security they really should implement this.

-The chairs in the meeting rooms for the convention were the most uncomfortable chairs I have truly ever sat in. New chairs are a must!

Overall this property delivered. The accommodations and exceptional customer service I encountered make this property a stand out! I would easily recommend it to my family, friends, and work associates. If my travels take me to Jacksonville again, I would definitely look at staying here in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your previous stay at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. Our goal at Hyatt is to provide ‘authentic’ hospitality and it sounds like we were able to deliver from the time you arrived at our front desk. We will definitely pass your comments and feedback to those areas and individuals that you mentioned in person. We also appreciated you bringing some of your concerns to our attention. We are always looking for opportunities to improve.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed 11 November 2010

Hyatt Riverfront was great! The staff was more than happy to accomodate us in any way possible that we needed. Rooms were clean and neat. Beds were soft. Bathroom was fairly large and clean.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2010

Thank you so much for your positive review of Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. It is always a pleasure to receive such wonderful comments from our satisfied guests! Our goal is to provide ‘authentic’ hospitality and it sounds like we were able to deliver!

We look forward to your next to Jacksonville!

Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront Management

Reviewed 8 November 2010

The beds weren't the best I've slept on, and the pillows were awful. I did love the complimentary toothpaste and other little amenities.

However, for this price, parking should be free or else they should be offering a breakfast. Their ballrooms were very nice, but I would have preferred staying somewhere a bit cheaper had I known I was going to have to pay to park.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We appreciate your feedback and we hope the next time you are in Jacksonville, you will stay with us again.

Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Management