“Convenience For Mayo Patients But No Internet In Rooms”

The Inn at Mayo Clinic
Ranked #60 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Boaz,Alabama
“Convenience For Mayo Patients But No Internet In Rooms”
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I stayed as a patient at the Mayo Client. I received a discount by letting the front desk know I was a patient of The Mayo Client on my arrival. I stayed 4 days at $169.00 + taxes per day. This was convenience for my Doctor visits and lab tests. The corridor from the hotel to the clinic meant no looking for parking spaces or walking across long parking lots to get to my appointments. The Inn at Mayo Clinic looked to be very wheel chair friendly.
My room had a full size side by side refrigerator ,dishwasher ,stove, microwave ,dishes, cooking ware ,drinking glasses, large flat screen TV, chair, sofa sleeper, and a Queen size bed..The bed was very comfortable. The room was super clean. I stayed on the third floor and no noise problems.
The hotel is 4 miles from the beach. There are a lot of great local restaurants that are within 1 to 4 miles from the hotel. I ask the locales that worked at the Mayo client about the best places to eat,which they were happy to tell me.
The hotel does have cable internet BUT it does not work. When I call the front desk about this, Instead of handling the problem themselves, they gave me a 1-800 number to call for help,which I did. I was then kept on the phone for 30 min. When these people could not figure out what was wrong with the internet, they told me to call the front desk and give them a number and tell the front desk to call them (instead of doing this themselves). I did this too. After an hour I call the desk back and asked about the internet. I was told it was being worked on. I never got internet in my room during the 4 days I was there.
They do have a net signal in the lobby.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank pp9cf7
theinngm, General Manager at The Inn at Mayo Clinic, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay but so sorry about your internet problems. Since your review, at the end of last year we upgraded to complimentary WiFi throughout our hotel. Since that time our guest satisfaction scores for internet service are amongst the highest for our region.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Norwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 March 2011

I've stayed here four times over the past two years for at least a week each time getting care at Mayo Clinic. Each time the rooms were clean and in good shape. Great staff, helpful and responsive. This is an unbeatable place if you're getting care at Mayo. Easy walk to hospital, ER, clinic appts., cafeteria and snack shop. Wheelchairs readily available. Inn puts out a really good breakfast, free. No room service but a number of local restaurants deliver. Handy kitchenette, well equipped. Never found the room dirty. Wifi worked for me but some have found that their rooms don't get good reception and ended up going to the lobby for reception or changing rooms. Staff will do faxes. Free parking on site. I see some negative reviews but see a number of hotels apparently advertising on the pages for this hotel review. Makes me wonder. If you're a Mayo patient, particularly if you have access problems or under the weather, this place is a nice stay and great convenience.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wumo
theinngm, General Manager at The Inn at Mayo Clinic, responded to this review, 16 August 2016
Thank you for the wonderful review! We love our location and hope to always provide such a positive experience for our guests. While we do not offer room service, it is so nice to be able to just walk down the hall and have a café around the corner until the late evening, a cafeteria during the weekday and a 24 hour market, in addition to our complimentary breakfast.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 4 March 2011

The only perk of this hotel is the proximity to the Mayo Clinic and Hospital. There is no wifi in the hotel (only in the hospital area) and the cabled internet wasn't working. The AC and bathroom fans are LOUD. There were several squirrels that had worked themselves between the walls and made a lot of noise. I pointed this out to the front desk staff and they commented that they knew about it and didn't really consider it a big deal. The breakfast was very nice and it was very convenient to not have to rely on hospital cafeteria food. I'm glad only had to stay 2 nights and that I spent most of the time in the hospital with my relative. I would probably not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Holly H
Thank you for the feedback. Shortly after you wrote your review, we upgraded our internet and do provide high speed wireless internet access. Additionally, we found a new home for the squirrel too.
Illinois
Reviewed 18 October 2010

I stayed here because I attended a conference on the Mayo campus. This would be very convenient if you have an appointment at Mayo or have a family member there. It's connected to the hospital, and while it's a decent walk through the connecting hallway, you don't have to go outside to get to Mayo.

There is no reason to stay here if you're not going to Mayo - there is literally nothing else there. You have to drive to get to anywhere else. There is a fantastic mall just a few minutes away (St Johns Town Center) with lots of places to eat (PF Changs, Maggianos, Cheesecake Factory)

The room itself was great. It was like a mini apartment, which is useful if you need to stay there for awhile - full kitchen with pans, utensils, plates, etc. Full size fridge, oven, microwave, dishwasher. There was a tv in the bedroom and in the main living/sitting area.

There is no restaurant in this hotel, but there's a shuttle to a neighboring hotel that does have one (it wasn't any good though, so I don't recommend that option). Mayo has a cafeteria and the hotel front desk has a few items too (milk, cereal, chips, frozen food, beer, candy, snacks). But with a kitchen in your room and nearby St Johns mall, I don't think this is an issue.

There's no pool here either which seems weird for Florida, but it was not a big deal to me. The fitness center was closed - it looked like they were doing some reconstruction.

The staff here was really helpful. I liked the place a lot. Not recommended for vacationers. Great choice though if you need to be at Mayo.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank MinervaJo
Thank you for the review. Many people stay with us for both travelling to the Mayo Clinic and other business or leisure travel to the area because they love our service and wonderful suites. If someone is looking for a pool, we are always happy to provide recommendations too.
Denver
Reviewed 18 August 2010

I recently took my mother-in-law to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville and made the mistake of staying at The Inn at the Mayo Clinic Managed by Marriott…and I even called and talked with a night manager before making the decision to stay at this hotel. The advantages of this Marriott hotel are the location with direct indoor access to the Mayo Clinic, wheelchairs for use in the hotel and at the Mayo Clinic, and kitchenettes in every room. The disadvantages of this Marriott hotel are the malfunctioning mechanical systems, poor maintenance, and inadequate management response…more of what I would expect from a Holiday Inn or Red Roof Inn rather than a Marriott hotel…and also don’t expect to sleep in this Marriott hotel! The first night I went to bed early but was then awoken by three fire alarms at approximately 9:00 PM, 10:00 PM, and 11:00 PM…after the first fire alarm I was went to the Lobby and let the firefighters into the building since the night manager could not be found…and after the last fire alarm the alarm system was “shut off” for the night but restarted again with another fire alarm at 7:00 AM (I only got three hours sleep). The second night I went to bed early again but was then awoken by a woman arguing on a cell phone in the courtyard between our room and the Lobby…and when I went to the Lobby to report the problem the night manager did nothing to address this situation. However, this was the night that we also realized that there was a significant problem air conditioner in the closet of the one bedroom suite…basically the air conditioner was “oversized” and very loud…and it would continuously cycle on and off if you closed the bedroom door…and also maintained the temperature at 66F regardless of the thermostat…eventually to sleep we had to turn off the air conditioner and awoke early in the morning when the room became very warm (I only got six hours sleep). The third night I went to bed early again but was awoken by a problem with the refrigerator which was making a very loud noise which only stopped when I unplugged the refrigerator so I could get some sleep (finally got eight hours sleep)…I reported these problems to maintenance in the morning and was told, “We get a lot of complaints on the air conditioners.” Lastly, I chose this Marriott hotel because of the location and the complimentary breakfast…but although the complimentary breakfast looked great it was basically made with cheap generic food that had no taste…the only thing I would recommend eating would be the donuts, hard boiled eggs, bananas, apples, yogurt, and milk…and don’t try the waffles, oatmeal, bread, bagels, grits, and coffee. In conclusion, if you have to stay at this Marriot hotel I recommend that you request a studio room to minimize the problem with the air conditioner, bring your own breakfast foods to supplement the complimentary breakfast, and call Marriot Customer Service at --- if you have any problems…and if you don’t believe my review is accurate please request Suite 123 and see if you have a better experience…definitely not what I expected for $190/Night.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank Kurt5280
We are so sorry that someone would have such a negative experience at our hotel, but appreciate you sharing it with us. Feedback, whether negative or positive, helps us know what to improve upon or keep doing. Shortly after this review, we did renovate the rooms, replace the air conditioning units and refrigerators. We have also updated our breakfast menu and have a wide varied array of offerings. In addition to some of the things listed above, we offer make your own breakfast burritos each day, chocolate croissants, vegetable crumble, andouille sausage and many other exciting options.
New Castle, VA
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Called Marriott nat'l reservations 1 wk prior to planned 4 night stay. i was told "all rooms booked except 2 room suites @ $230+tax". I booked the stay because this property offers an indoor, Air Conditioned walkway to the Mayo Clinic/Hospital and my wife is in a wheelchair . . . . . . Reservations person attempted to get me to book at Mariott Courtyard (.2 mile from Mayo Clinic) @$159 per night).

When I arrived at the hotel I complained about the $230 rate and was immediatly given a large 2 bed room with kitchen for much less money! I need to STRESS that everyone at the property was extremely helpful, just the nat'l reservation person was dishonest.

I believe that this Inn is owned by Mayo Clinic and managed by Marriott while Marriott Courtyard (.2 mile away) is more profitable to Marriott Corp. I doubt Mayo Clinic Administration is aware of this dishonesty on the part of their management service . . . .

I recommend this property to anyone but DON'T got thru national Marriott reservations!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
We are sorry that you would have an experience like this. We go down to Marriott's regional reservations desk periodically to provide them with training about our hotel to try to make sure that guests do not have a similar experience. If you ever do have an issue like this, please call the hotel directly at (904)992-9992.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 June 2010

If you are with a family member or friend undergoing surgery or hospital stay at the Mayo Clinic, I highly recommend this inn. We were a little hesitant at the price, given that we could get much cheaper elsewhere in Jacksonville, even places that were relatively close, but there is nothing like being able to walk down the corridor to the Clinic from your room to visit your loved one. We would be able to visit multiple times per day, including a quick stop in after we had returned from dinner, and it was no big deal if my father-in-law was at therapy or tests, or asleep. We also didn't all need to go at once; one of us could go upstairs, and others follow as worked for them as we all juggled doing work on our computers with the free wifi (or cabled access from the desk).

There were three of us, so my sister-in-law slept in the living room, which has a full-size kitchen and fridge with plates, utensils, etc., for your use. We didn't go grocery shopping, but it was nice to have the fridge for beverages and leftovers, and snacks. If you were staying longer, it could save you money in the long run to be able to stock the fridge for your stay.

Breakfast was fine - Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn level free breakfast - waffle iron, bagel,s fruit, cereal, sausage patties, boiled eggs, etc.

There is no pool on the property - but it does have a small exercise room with two treadmills and a stationary bike.

It's also very convenient to the beach area for dinner choices to get off the property for a bit.

The only bad thing about the arrangement was that the bathroom is off the bedroom, so my sister in law would need to come in through the bedroom to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. That's it. the only complaint.

So - spring for the extra and enjoy the convenience and ease of being close to your loved one.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank moseylou
Thank you for the kind review. We are glad that you were able to conveniently visit your loved one.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacksonville
Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches
Hampton Inn & Suites Beach Boulevard/Mayo Clinic Area
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jacksonville - SE Med Center Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#2 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Jacksonville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Jacksonville-South/St. Johns Ctr.

Been to The Inn at Mayo Clinic? Share your experiences!