“A great convenience for patients of Mayo Clinic”

The Inn at Mayo Clinic
Ranked #66 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Oceanside, California
“A great convenience for patients of Mayo Clinic”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I spent a month here as a caregiver for someone awaiting, and receiving, a transplant at Mayo. Needless to say it is convenient to the hospital and clinic since there were scores of appointments and lab visits pre and post operation. At various times, a number of the guests at this hotel are patients. If you are put off by that, better to find another hotel. There is another Marriott a short van ride away. This place and their staff are wonderful. For patients of transplants who need special care after their procedures, you cannot beat this place. The kitchen staff go out of their way to comply with "doctor's orders," since many patients cannot have the buffet food. The breakfast buffet, by the way, is very good. There are eggs (both hard boiled and scrambled) and usually sausages or some meat dish. There are oatmeal, and grits--a new favorite for me, with things like salsa, cheese, etc. Muffins, bagels, toast, etc. and the machine for making waffles which I found to be very good. Fruits for toppings. Room staff are also very understanding of needs of both caregivers and patients. There is a small laundry on the second floor with machines that take quarters. Very convenient and they always worked. There are services available for those without cars, including a hotel van around the complex. There is also a community van that can get you to local shopping centers. Ask for assistance at the front desk. The kitchen in the room was small, but worked for us. The desk staff will also take orders for groceries from the local Publix market. Order before 9:00 am and delivery comes in the afternoon. This was a wonderful resource for us who were without a car, and whoever does the shopping does a great job of selecting fresh food. If you want to have restaurant food for lunch or dinner, you can get the free hotel van to the other Marriott hotel on the campus and eat there or get take out. Could find some little negatives about this hotel but they aren't worth mentioning.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Kathleen H
theinngm, General Manager at The Inn at Mayo Clinic, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review. Part of what helps make our hotel special are the guests that stay with us for extended periods of time. We are glad that you enjoyed the breakfast and were able to use some of our special services.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I appreciate The Inn at Mayo so much. It is connected via a climate-controlled corridor to the clinic and the new Mayo hospital, which makes visits for physicals, consults, or treatments comfortable. The rooms are nice suites with functional kitchens, another practical amenity.

We have had nothing but pleasant interactions with the Inn's staff, with special kudos to Laura at the front desk who is professional, kind and goes above and beyond to take good care of guests.

Housekeeping and maintenance staff are also diligent and cheerful; same for the person who braves the daily wave of mostly anxious, occasionally thoughtless patrons who descend on the dining room for breakfast.

We consider The Inn at Mayo a valued part of our healthcare team, much more than just a place to sleep, and wouldn't stay anywhere else for our visits to Mayo Clinic Florida.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ElizabethWestmark
Thank you for your kind review. We strive to make sure that everyone stays with us feels the same way.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The hotel was what my wife & I were after to have a restful/relaxing day before a business event in Jacksonville. The room was large enough to hang out in, convenient to the beach and where I needed to go in the city.

We had a disastrous night's sleep despite the nice room & laid-back setting due to some exceptionally rude people above us. The adults of that party shuffled all the kids into the room above us, which became a jungle-gym, tumbling mat or trampoline from 6pm until 1:00am. It took a couple of calls to the front desk to get them to settle down. Quite frustrating. I was close to administering some parental discipline myself in my pajamas...

Upon leaving we let the staff know about the disruption since it was obviously frustrating to us, but more importantly the hotel is connected to a medical facility and who knows who else was disturbed that may have been there taking care of a loved one at the hospital in a more stressful situation. Pretty disappointing behavior from someone staying in a 3 star place at a medical facility.

I received a call later that day from the manager who bent over backwards to make sure the situation was remedied. It was more than a quick "I'm sorry for your experience" - she wanted to fix the problem & make it right for the future. For a hotel to do that for an out of town guest based on the behavior of other guests (which they didn't cause or can't control), I was quite impressed. Concern on that level means there is a high concern for quality that exists in the culture of the company.

I would go back & I would recommend this hotel for others.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Tom D
We are very sorry for the experience you had, and do highly value the experience of our guests. It was a pleasure speaking with you and thank you for the kind review. Usually our hotel is peaceful and relaxing, and we were genuinely sorry that it was not in this case.
Hazlehurst, Georgia
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I have stayed at the Inn several times while visiting Mayo Clinic Hospital. The Suites are well appointed and extremely comfortable. When one enters the door of the Suite, you can leave your cares behind and sink into the comfort of a soft bed or comfy sofa. A great breakfast with both hot and cold foods is offered each morning for those staying at the Inn along with a free shuttle to take you where you need to go. If you are needing to go to Mayo Clinic, it is in the same building- they are all connected. One of the main reasons I chose this hotel. The staff are not always overly friendly, the prices are high and fluctuate according to what day it is. I got a different rate each time I stayed. However, I was comfortable and rested well and with a few steps the next morning, I was at my appointment. Can't beat that!

Room Tip: Check for prices on different hotel booking sites and compare before booking. Can save as much as $1...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
theinngm, General Manager at The Inn at Mayo Clinic, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
We are so glad that you enjoy the hotel and keep returning. Thank you for the kind review. I am sorry to hear that our team has not always been overly friendly and hope with some recent staffing changes we have corrected that issue. We do have a Mayo Clinic discount and if traveling to the clinic, please be sure to specify that so that you get the appropriate rate. The rate that you book with us should be the same or better than you can get through 3rd party sites, and it also allows you the flexibility to change the dates of your stay or cancel if needed, where it is often more difficult if booked through another company. We hope to see you back soon!
Northern New Jersey
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Had an appointment at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. This hotel had the most awesome accommodating connecting corridor to the Health Facility. Free breakfast in the morning, but who wants to eat when you're a nervous wreck prior to being examined. Not in the mood to eat. The coffee was vile and disgusting. It actually ruined my morning to complicate things. The person at the front desk, Esther, was a pain in the blank, since she was asking too many annoying questions and checking ID's far beyond necessary. I thought maybe the President was staying here and she was part of the FBI.
The room was your basic studio Residence Inn layout with a kitchette, living area separated by a nice size flat screen TV to the queen size bedroom. It does not participate with Marriott's Rewards System. I did not like the bathroom which seemed to lack something. They did have a full size ironing board and iron available. The staff is very nice and friendly here. No pool, but a very nice patio to relax and full size BBQ to use. The true feature is the connecting wing to The Mayo Clinic. If I needed to return, I probably would return here because it was very clean and convenient. There is also a Comfort Inn on the opposite side of the Clinic.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the elevator because there are no rooms on the first floor. Handicapped need to...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Higbees
theinngm, General Manager at The Inn at Mayo Clinic, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
We are glad that you want to return and felt like everyone was nice and friendly. We are sorry that a member of our team came across so unfavorably. Please note that for special corporate, government or AAA rates, we have to ask for an ID and must have a picture ID to match a credit card, if one is being used.
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 1 June 2014

It is very close to the Mayo clinic, they do have a comp shuttle too, however we were checked in to to a handycap room, which we were not too happy, the keys had to be re keyd several times, there was food left behind in the refrigerator.

B/fast was not the best either.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Roe2010
We are very sorry for your experience. We can usually pride ourselves on cleanliness and are sorry that we failed to meet your and our own expectations for your stay. Please contact me at (904)992-9992 as I would like to personally apologize and help rectify the situation.
Vero Beach
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I've stayed at this motel about 7 times over the last 3 years due to a medical condition that requires immediate proximity to Mayo Clinic. If I had a choice I would never stay at this place. Over my life I have stayed at fleabag motels and luxurious hotels but only once have I stayed at a place where the beds are as flimsy and dilapidated as they have always been in every room here. It is like trying to sleep on a hammock. The motel is clean and the staff is nice but if you weigh over 140 pounds and value your back don't stop here. By the way, I don't have back problems (except when I awaken here).

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank yvstar1300
theinngm, General Manager at The Inn at Mayo Clinic, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
We are very sorry that you were so unhappy with the beds. All of the beds in the hotel have been replaced within the past 2 years, with some as new as the last month. We have some people that love them and want to know where we purchase them. Other people may feel that they are too soft and others that feel they are too hard. Unfortunately, everyone has a different bed preference and with Marriott we try to purchase something that is in the middle to meet all guest's needs.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacksonville
Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches
Hampton Inn & Suites Beach Boulevard/Mayo Clinic Area
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jacksonville - SE Med Center Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
La Quinta Inn & Suites Jacksonville Butler Blvd
Candlewood Suites Jacksonville
Candlewood Suites Jacksonville
#46 of 133 in Jacksonville

Been to The Inn at Mayo Clinic? Share your experiences!