“Not bad for an overnight stop”

Hyatt Place Jacksonville Airport
Ranked #23 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Tallahassee, Florida
“Not bad for an overnight stop”
Reviewed 1 June 2011

We only stayed one night. Layout of the room is really nice, loved the sitting area and desk and bar, beds were comfy. But when I walked into the room I immediately noticed that the carpet had stains all over throughout the sitting area, and by the beds. Also there were greasy fingerprint marks all over the bathroom door, countertop and the door to the hallway. I cleaned it myself. Cleanliness is #1 priority for me. No shower cap in room. Plenty of towels. A/C was either cold or hot - difficult to get to correct comfort temp. In the morning I went downstairs to get a decaf americano. The front desk girl didn't listen to me explain how to make it, even though the other gal at the front desk explained it to her several times. She finally had to come do it for her.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the elevator are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Massachusettes
Reviewed 20 May 2011

Clean, quiet, nicely designed rooms. Minutes from the airport, restaurants, shopping plaza and rt.95 highway. Very friendly staff. 15 minutes from downtown Jacksonville.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank brittaboo
Georgia
Reviewed 1 May 2011

All in all a pleasant stay. PROS: The room were clean and roomy. The mattress was comfortable and the linens were clean. The lobby, food area and pool were clean. The employees were pleasant and helpful. The hotel location was prefect for us. There was no airplane traffic during the night. CONS: "Free" breakfast was just OK. (I would rather pay a little less for the room and forget the breakfast). The coffee was not very good, which for me is more important than the food. The pool deck is not wide enough, so when the pool is crowded that is a bit of an issue. I bought a bottle of water in the lobby one night for $2.50. I thought the price was excessively high, but I was desperate. There was not a microwave in the room, which would have come in handy.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed 29 April 2011

This is your typical Hyatt Place. Clean, roomy and well appointed. Every room was suite-style ..... two queen beds with a bath vanity on one end and on the other end was a corner couch (think 2-piece sectional sofa), a desk area and a wet bar area complete with mini frige. The sofa pulls out into a sofa bed. This is perfect for us because we have two teens who don't like to sleep in the same bed. Everything is exactly how it's pictured on the website.

One thing I do want to mention is the small bathrooms. If you've ever stayed inside a Disney Value or Moderate resort, it's the same type of bathroom set-up. Inside the bathroom is only a tub/shower and a toilet. That's it. Very small, the door barely clears the toilet. The vanity/sink/mirror area to "get ready" is actually in the room with the beds. Good because one person can get ready while another is in the shower but bad because there's no privacy.

The air unit was very loud so we had to blast the tv but the room was very clean and the beds were awesome. We stayed at this particular place because we wanted to visit the Jacksonville Zoo that day and it was a short ride.

Only an outside pool here, which was great because the weather was wonderful and it was so nice to be outside. The pool is small, but perfect size. Nice tables and chairs and in a quiet location behind the hotel. Parking was free.

The breakfast was only so-so. We stay at several Hyatt Place hotels and the breakfast is always the same. Basically munchies. Food is my only complaint while staying at a Hyatt Place. I've been to three different Hyatt Places this year and at none could they give me a tray to carry juices and bagels back to my room for the rest of my family while we were getting ready for the day. I didn't want to spill anything on the hotel's carpet so I had to make several trips downstairs.

I'll continue to stay at Hyatt Place hotels because the quality is a great value for the money and recommend these places to anyone.

Room Tip: Coupon at FL welcome center!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
toronto
Reviewed 2 March 2011

I stayed at this hotel prior to an early flight.
To start, every staff member was very nice.
I bid on this hotel and got a great deal on priceline.
Regardless, check in was easy and then headed to the room.
Comfortable king bed, big hdtv, and very clean.
The pool looked nice but I did not use it.
A basic but very fresh free breakfast as well as food to purchase was available in the mornig.
I took the free and very good 24 hour shuttle to the airport.
Overall, the hotel has been open two years and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank trip12345
Maryland
Reviewed 27 February 2011

This is a 2yr old hotel. Stayed for one night at a miltary rate $82.00. Female traveling solo for business. Overall I liked this airport hotel and would recommend it to travelers who stay here for just one night/catchig a flight the next day. Stayed at the Crown Plaza Airport hotel a month ago so I can compare/contrast.

Bed+linen: King bed was ok (not bad/but honestly not the best). They triple sheet and use a thin bed overlay which is not really a blanket. Its pretty but not plush. Sheets were mildly scratchy. A previous reviewer stated that they use two twin boxspring matresses and can concur with this statement. Why would Hyatt want to cut costs by doing this is beyond me. Most people use airport hotels to rest if anything else. The pillows however were super comfy and plentiful. There is a blanklet and extra pillow in the closet if your really want it. Crown Plaza has cornered the market for plush bed in my opinion. They use premium mattress/boxspring, soft sheets, lots of plush pillows, and down comforter - all in white so you can see that it is clean.

TV +full size couch+ottoman: Men will love the 44' HD TV with premium channels. Must of seen atleast 3ESPN channels and HBO. The couch is a big bonus and has a large brown leather ottoman to kick your feed up. The TV swivels from couch to bed. It really makes the room feel cozy. Crown Plaza has 32' HD TV with a one person couch chair typical of hotels.

Bathroom: Newer and larger shower stall. Rainshower was a nice touch. I didn't mind the mock glass door because it felt more open. Just make sure you use a towel on the floor. One towel was scratchy, the others soft. Different batch I suppose. Separate vanity area with outlets convinently located. Lots of mirrors. Larger miror on vanity, full length mirrors doubled as closet door, and an extra full length mirror in the room. Aquafresh toothpaste, soap, shampoo/conditioner provided. No lotion. I am sure if you asked they would have provided though. I realy liked the fact that I could place the iron underneath the facet sink to fill with water... most hotels don't do this. Its the little things I like. Crown Plaza needs to renovate their bathrooms. Although clean, I didn't want to use the tub because it just looked to oldish/worn and didn't feel as comfortable. They did provide all toiletries withouth prompting, softer towels, and better water pressure. They also have large mirrors minus the closet mirror.

Internet: Free WIFI throughout the hotel including rooms. Crown is the same.

Other: Both provide desk, table, lamp for working. Both have coffee, tea, ice bucket in room. Hyatt had cordless phone. Crown does not.

Neither have balconies.

Breakfast: You get a free basic continental breafast which was just ok nothing special. You have an option to order hot food at cost which I didn't so can't comment. The area is cozy however and offeres lots of bright light, outdoor seating, starbucks coffee, and tazo tea. At Crown Plaza, the manager gave me full free breakfast coupon (military). I was not expecting that and made my stay that much better. You can't beat a full breakfast buffet. My suggestion to Hyatt is to match Crown Plaza or simply improve the quality of continental breakfast. I.e Instead of regular oatmeal provide steel oats with all the fixings. Fresh cut fruit as opposed to the frozen kind. Add good quality pastries in addition to just bagels, reg bread, and english muffins. Please provide more yogurt options. I can go on...I do expect a little more from a Hyatt.

Shuttle: They have a free shuttle that will take you anywhere within a 3mile radius. I used it and staff was friendly and efficient. Don't know if Crown Plaza does this but both offer free shuttle to the airport which is a must.

Gym : New cardio equipment: 2treadmills, eliptical, and a bike which have TV's to get you motivated. They also have dumbells. They offer work out towels and headphones. Its a small but clean room. My only suggestions would be to offer water bottles (instead of water fountain) and include a mat and workout ball. For cardio it does the job. Crown Plaza's is a slightly bigger room with those options suggested but the room is out there in the open where passerby's can easily see you. I guess it will be great for people that want to get notice but the average joe will probably want more privacy (which Hyatt Place Provides).

Business Center: Didn't use because I used my laptop.

Pool: Nice large outdoor pool with lounging chairs. Towels provided. This is a Hyatt so I expected a jacuzzi. Crown Plaza does not bother with jacuzi's which bugs me. They did have a nice indoor/outdoor pool which looked like a lot fun for kids.

Restaurants: Hyatt doesn't really have one. They have a Starbucks and a very limited sandwhich/salad lunch- lite menu at the same place they do breakfast. The good thing is that it is available 24/7 and you can order to go. Then menu is available in your room via their TV homepage And I give kudos to Hyatt for providing healthy food options. However, that is all they have and If thats your thing great. If your a steak and potato eating person or want seafood... your out of luck. In all fairness there are plenty of restaurants nearby to fill the void. They also have a small area (starbuck sit down area) to sit down and have a glass of wine/beer. NO ROOM SERVICE at this hotel. I almost gasp as I never hear of Hyatt doing such a thing. Crown Plaza has a separate sports bar with lots of seating, a separte Seattle's best cafe area, a nice sit-down restaurant, and ROOM SERVICE. Although typically pricey.. worth the money. So something to think about.

Late Check Out: Was able to stay a little longer (2pm) because my flight was not until 5:00pm. This was extremely helpful and kind. Think they can do this depending on how busy the hotel is. Crown can do this too but its most likely to happen at Hyatt because it is less crowded.

Overall this new Hyatt Place feels cozy, inviting, feels safe, and staff is pleasant. Feels more like a boutique hotel more than a stuffy business hotel. Crown feels more like a true/traditional convention hotel with all the perks. Loved the large TV and full size couch which is so much nicer than the average hotel. You wont get this at Crown. Also the rooms at the Crown are a little smaller fyi. Since I like to be spoiled with roomservice, and full breakfast, don't know if I would pick Hyatt over Crown Plaza though. If Hyatt installs a jacuzi and offers roomservice, I might forgive the twin boxspring mattresses. If more space is what you are looking for go with Hyatt Place.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank tania2001
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 February 2011

Booked this through Priceline for $55; well worth the stay. Very good location with lots of amenities near the hotel; highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business