“Be wary of bed bugs”

Candlewood Suites East Merril Road
Ranked #66 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel for two nights in February. The room number might be 113 as I could not recall clearly. The room looks OK. At the second night, I started feeling itchy on my left thigh and I thought that might be allergy so I didn't pay too much attention on it. However in the following two days after I left the hotel, reddish and itchy bumps started to emerge on my trunk and extremities. There were over thirty bumps on my body at the peak. That is really a terrible experience for me and I learned a lesson that I should always check the bed sheet every time I checked into a hotel room from then on. I admit that I didn't see bed bugs with my eyes since I never thought of the possibility during my stay, however all the manifestation of the bumps is in accordance with typical bites of bed bugs. So I would suggest you think carefully before you book this hotel.
As a side note, the hotel has free DVDs for guests to borrow however the DVD case that I picked didn't have any disc inside which is quite disappointing.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank perfectsong
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites East Merril Road, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Dear perfectsong,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review about your visit. It is regrettable that this stay was not 100% satisfactory. We have sent you a private message to discuss.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I would never stay here again. The white curtains were yellow with smoke stains. The internet did not work and the front desk had no answer. The bed was hard and I don't think the bed spread had been washed in months.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites East Merril Road, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear carriebell,

Thank you for writing us feedback about your stay. Please accept our apologies for the shortcomings experienced on this occasion most especially with the condition of the room and Internet connection malfunctioning. We appreciate you letting us know about these unsatisfactory circumstances as this is our best means of considering for upgrades needed.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We have stayed in a number of Candlewood Suites and came to have some expectations of the brand. Thus it is good to know that this hotel met the same standards and expectations that we have. We chose to stay here as a stop on our road trip to Orlando, and this is after driving for a number of hours from Atlanta. Hence when we checked in, it was already late evening. The check-in process is nice and quick which is good as we were planning to go to a interesting place for dinner.

The room: Nice and clean as expected of a Candlewood. They have all the usual amenities in the room, but we did not make use of any as we stayed only for the night and had to leave early the next day to get some sights in before heading to Orlando. Generally the room is well-kept and clean which is nice after being on the road for so many hours.

The location: It was just off a highway which make it easy to get to and there seems to be a couple of nice eating place and a supermarket nearby which could help with meal options.

Conclusion: If I am coming back to explore Jacksonville, I will stay here again given the price, amenities, and location.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This was my second stay at this Candlewood location. I was disappointed that the A/C in the room was not working properly and took 3 days and some aggravation to get them to fix it. One has to wonder whether maintenance is getting performed. I did note that most of the employees had only been working at the location for a few months.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
CandlewoodSuitesJax, Manager at Candlewood Suites East Merril Road, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

We appreciate your input regarding our in room A/C equipment. We appreciate your choice to stay with and will do our best to make your stay more comfortable in future. Sorry for inconvenience during your last stay.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I stayed here with my family last week and it was a nice hotel overall, but I've stayed at nicer Candlewood Suites in other areas that have better hospitality, and a better in house DVD / movie collections. Otherwise everything was great. The hotel is right off I295 on the East Side of Jacksonville and fairly close to the Beach and about 10 to 15 minutes from the Zoo. There is a Publix right next to the hotel too and there are restaurants relatively close. Pricing is pretty good and they have a large pantry you can charge items to your room if you get hungry or thirsty at any hour. I've stayed at nicer hotels in Jacksonville, but there is nothing bad or that would keep me away from here if I needed to stay here again. Also if you are scared of larger bridges there is a fairly larger suspension bridge just north of the hotel on I295 you might have to go across to get to the hotel unless you plan to go around it to one of the other many bridges in Jacksonville going across the river. You can go to google street view to see it if you need too. Please vote this review helpful if it helped you in any way. Thanks!

Room Tip: Rooms have a DVD player so bring your DVD's if you want to because the hotel's collection is...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank wofiii
CandlewoodSuitesJax, General Manager at Candlewood Suites East Merril Road, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thank for taking time to share your experience at our hotel. Our hotel service team really appreciate your in depth review of our services. It was a great pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward for the opportunity to provide great hospitality service during your future stays with us.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Wonderful experience. We were travelling from Kissimmee to Jacksonville to go on a cruise and booked here originally because they offered a cruise package. It was very difficult to get a phone number to talk to this location but once we did we found out not to bother with the cruise package because our stay was over Sunday night and they do not serve breakfast on Mon. morning (part of the package), that we could leave our car there for free while we cruised without buying the cruise package, and that the shuttle (taxi actually) was the same price with or without the package. So just get a regular room people. The room had a full size fridge, dishwasher, microwave, coffee maker, toaster and two burners. We had been at a resort with kitchen previously and brought along enough of our leftovers to make up breakfast in that kitchen. We were really pleased with this room and would definitely stay at a Candlewood Suite hotel again. The room was clean. There was a flat screen TV and a DVD player with a selection of DVDs in the lobby to borrow. Free laundry on the main floor. Outdoor pool. Our nephews were in the pool almost immediately but we found there was almost no shade mid afternoon on and it was very hot sitting there to supervise them. I'd suggest a few more tables with umbrellas would be good. (There was just one which just didn't provide enough shade.) The location is close to a strip mall with a Publix and there are restaurants around (saw Golden Corral and subway in walking distance. We were going to call a taxi for pick up in the morning to the pier but took a drive out that way and saw the $8 day cruise parking lot at the port gate. There were 7 of us with a car and a mini van so we left our car at the hotel and our niece drove us to the parking lot with our luggage and then went back and got everyone else with their luggage and we just parked the mini van there while on the cruise. Cheaper than probably two taxis for 7 people. All in all, a great place to stay. We highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 2nd floor and our niece and her family were on the 1st floor. Both were good.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Paddy2216

All members our team really appreciated that you spared time for writing a detailed feed back/comments on your stay at our hotel. We have carefully reviewed it and will make your next stay even better!
Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and staying with us.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

What a fantastic hotel. Great,comfortable bed, free guest laundry, fully equipped kitchen. Close walk to shops and free parking.

Water pressure was good and room was clean. This hotel gets our highest rating for our month in the USA.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EvanKatesma
CandlewoodSuitesJax, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites East Merril Road, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Thank you for choosing our location here in East Jacksonville,FL. It was a pleasure having you and were glad we made your visit great,please come visit us again thank you once again;