“Wonderful Staff and Clean Rooms”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville - Mayport / Beach
Ranked #56 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Orlando, Florida
“Wonderful Staff and Clean Rooms”
Reviewed 8 November 2011

This was my first visit to this hotel, but I was glad I travelled the extra minutes from Atlantic Beach. The front desk staff were so helpful and you could tell the hotel was new. The Queen room we were booked in had all white bedding, which I prefer, as it's cleaner. Well maintained and cared for rooms. Close enough to the beaches to fit in as a vacation spot.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MissBliss44
neilatjax, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville - Mayport / Beach, responded to this review, 16 November 2011
I would like to thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you and for your comments and that you found the Hotel clean and nice staff.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Statham, Georgia
Reviewed 6 November 2011

My wife and kids had never been to Jacksonville before and I wanted some place nice, quite and clean for them to stay. I called the hotel prior to getting there to request my two rooms be joined with a inner door. The hotel desk person could not have been more friendly and not only honored my request; but called me back to confirm it was taken care of. The hotel was very clean, close to the beach and the staff was super friendly. I travel with my job and stay in hotels all over the country and this was one of the best staffs I have ever encountered.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
neilatjax, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville - Mayport / Beach, responded to this review, 8 November 2011
Thank you for staying with us and I am glad that we accommodated you with the adjoining rooms. Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to our hotel. We are very pleased to know that you found our staff to meet your expecations and hope you will visit us again in the near future.
atlanta
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We spent one night. The hotel is great and fairly new. The breakfast was not as good as I would have liked as their famous cinnamon rolls were absent. If you stay ask for a room on the back of the hotel as the front is noisy from Mayport Rd.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank patch111
Atlantic Beach, Florida
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I Will have to give this hotel a perfect 10!!. The management and the staff make you fill like you are at home although you are not. They make you feel welcome.If there is a problem they will go that extra ten miles to make sure the issue is resolve and your stay is one you want to remember. I travel a lot in my business and stayed at 4 and 5 star hotel and none campare to this one. It shows that they do have the Southern Houspitality. I will always stay here when I am working in town.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
neilatjax, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville - Mayport / Beach, responded to this review, 8 November 2011
Glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay at our hotel. It's always rewarding to know that are guest are pleased with the hotel and we strive very hard to always go up and beyond with each visit to make sure it's your best stay ever. Hope that we will be seeing you again soon on your next visit.
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed 20 October 2011

My family and I recently stayed here while in town to visit my son who is in the Navy and we stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. The hotel is clean and still has the newness to it. The breakfast area is nice and the breakfast was good. I do however have a few complaints. On the second day of our stay, we figured out that our door to our hotel room did not lock. We used the card to enter so we actually never tried without the card. I will definitley check this whenever I stay at a hotel again. My Mom did by accident and it was then we realized that it actually was not locking. The guy at the front desk came up to try to fix it but could not so we ended up packing up and moving a few doors down. A lttle inconvenience but I know that things do happen. Although the room was clean and the housekeeping was very good about making the beds everyday, restocking towels, etc. whatever it is that they use to clean is way too STRONG!! It reminds me of some type of carpet type deodorizer and it is so strong that I was overwhelmed by the scent. My eyes burned and I had to tell them not to use this product again when cleaning. Another problem with the room is the air conditioning. It is on eco -saver and only runs for a short period of time. I am so glad that I brought my own personal fan with me. The walls are also very thin and I could hear the people in the next room, including their dog barking from time to time. This is also in a not so very good location so beware of your surroundings.
The staff was ok but not overly friendly. The last issue was the night before we left. There was a huge wedding party staying at the hotel and they partied all night long. It even resulted in a table in the lobby being broken. We had a long trip ahead of us and had a very sleepless night which was bead considering we had a 12 hour trip ahead of us. When the desk person was told of the complaints, the response was " I will discuss it with the manager in the morning". Although the hotel was clean, It is doubtful that I would stay here again. Wish I would have looked around more and paid more attention to some of these reviews.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mary W
Key West, Florida
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I often book at HIXs because I have grown accustomed to a few particular comforts: the included breakfasts are predictable: eggs, bacon, sausage, bacon, biscuits, cereal, bananas, pancakes, coffee. It needs to be said: there is no restaurant at HIX but there is an included breakfast. That's fine for me; a hotel for me is a place to sleep, grab a decent breakfast and then leave. I want reliability.

HI Express is not the sexiest hotel friend you will have, but she is most definitely the most reliable without spending a fortune.

Another reason is that I know the chain is accountable - I had a difficulty with another hotel location and the chain stepped in and managed a solution. It`s helpful to know this.

However, when I checked in, the person at the front desk had a goodie bag ready, and a newspaper, and an upgrade - all without asking. This is because I am one of their loyalty group members but the chain does not uniformally offer the benefits; sometimes, one has to ask to receive them. Not here. To make it better, the friendliness was genuine and not a McFriendly hello. I felt welcomed which after a long day is important.

It is worth saying that after a very long day of driving from Key West to Jacksonville, the thing I most appreciate is that (i) there are no problems on check in and (ii) that the welcome is warm. I am away from home, looking for comfort, with tired feet. All I want is my room and to feel at home". This place has that down pat, at check in and at check out.

The other thing that made me happy: when I walked down the halls, I smelled the scent of "clean", whatever that is. It wasn't harsh or overbearing, but definitely pleasant. When I got into my room, I used both telephones - and noticed a very faint scent of a cleaner on the handset. At all the Intercontinentals and all the HIs I've stayed at, I've never smelled proof that they clean the handsets. Yea. Makes me happy.

No real problems with this place. The foyer is oddly set up and needs a designer, and since the entrance sets the mood, someone should look at this. But at 11 pm I don't really care. And the attendent at the morning food trough really shouldn't wear ear plugs as she tends to the breakfast.

It is highly unlikely I will ever be in that area again, but I would choose this place as a very good representation the HIX ideals.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank IaOrana_Maruuruu
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I read some of the previous reviews, and thought I would go a head and post. I'm not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing, but I have stayed in about a dozen Holiday Inn Expresses east of the Mississippi, most in the past year. So, I would definitely not say this would be the best ever. The best would be in Long Beach MS, where we were able to walk across the street to the beach. Second would be the one in Kalamazoo with the pocket doors, which assured a great night's sleep, and third would be the one near Universal in Orlando, which was evenly nice in all things. This hotel was what one would expect from an HIE, but not much setting it apart in a positive way.
As for this HIE, it is pretty new. So my guess is that the allergic reaction the woman had was due to the chemicals from the new everything. Our room did not smell bad at the time of our visit, but the hallways, which obviously don't have much air circulating through them, definitely had that new carpet and whatever-else-was-new smell.
As a priority club member, this was one of the best hotels. They greeted us with water and snacks and immediately offered us a late check out. This was great since we were able enjoy the beach in the morning and then come back with plenty of time to shower and hit the road. The woman at the desk in the morning (Ariana) was great with my son while I printed out our maps for the the day's travel.
There were a couple of bad things for this hotel. First the air conditioning system is set on an eco-saver setting that can't seem to be undone. So, it only runs for a few minutes, then you have to get up and turn it on again. You can't even run just the fan without it turning itself off. So, I was up several times in the night to reset the darned thing. This situation was made even worse because the walls between rooms are so thin. No noise can be heard in the hallway from the rooms, but from room-to-room, yes. I had the great misfortune of being next to one of those people who obviously needs to sleep with the tv on. If the fan or your tv are on, you don't notice it. But, as I mentioned, my fan kept going off, so the noise from the adjoining room combined w/ the stuffiness from the uncirculating air kept waking me. If they fixed this air conditioning problem (and I did call down and ask to see if there was a way to remove that setting, and was told no), then I would easily give it a "Very Good" rating. But, since what I really want is a good night's sleep, I can only say this hotel was "Average."

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank firstvacation09
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacksonville
Best Western Mayport Inn & Suites
Days Inn Neptune Jacksonville Beach Mayport Mayo Clinic NE
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonvil...
#5 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Beach Boulevard/Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#2 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express Jacksonville East

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville - Mayport / Beach? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville - Mayport / Beach

Property: Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville - Mayport / Beach
Address: 2040 Mayport Rd, jacksonville, Jacksonville, FL 32233-1924
Region: United States > Florida > Jacksonville
Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Suites Swimming Pool
#16 Romantic Hotel in Jacksonville
#26 Family Hotel in Jacksonville
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): ££
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville - Mayport / Beach 2.5*
Welcome to Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Jacksonville-Atlantic Beach! Minutes from the Mayport Naval Station and a short 20 minutes from the Jacksonville airport, travelers appreciate how convenient we are to Jacksonville, Neptune, Atlantic and Ponte Vedra Beach. Spend the day at Hannah Park or an evening on the Sun Cruz Casino gambling the night away. Relax away the afternoon in our sparkling pool or take the family to Adventure Landing Water Park. Whether you are in Jacksonville for business or leisure, the downtown area is just 20 minutes away and the beaches are only a 5 minute drive. Plan to attend one of our Beach Festivals or The Players Championship at Sawgrass Country Club. Let Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Atlantic Beach be your perfect home away from home. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, IHG, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville - Mayport / Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Jacksonville - Mayport / Beach