Homewood Suites by Hilton Jacksonville Downtown/Southbank
Ranked #28 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Florida
“Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2009

Kitrina Smith at the Homewood Suites really knows what customer service means. She is also a great person. Thank god for people with her God give personality. I would recommend this hotel with five thumbs up. She should be employee of the year.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Aurora, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2009

Me, me wife, and two young daughters (ages 3 and 1) stayed at this hotel from Nov. 25-29. The hotel is brand new so it's in excellent condition. The lobby is warm & inviting and the the one bedroom suite was spacious, clean and well kept. The hotel is not located in the heart of downtown, but is not very far from it.

There were a few downsides as well. When you enter the hotel there is a foul smell and numerous guests picked up on it. You could also smell it on the elevators and in some of the hallways. The front desk people of the hotel all claimed not to notice it, which I found hard to believe. Also, the hotel is located right next to some train tracks with CSX trains going by regularly. So if you are a light sleeper, please keep this in mind. And lastly if you are on the Kings Ave. side of the hotel, there is a bar across the street that has live bands that play very loud music on the weekends until about 2 am. It got so loud that we had request a move to a the room across the hall for the rest of our stay. I will say the the front desk staff will go out of their way to accomodate any requests you have, especially Mark who was awesome in every way. And lastly, the breakfast each of our four mornings was just o.k. but I have had better at other Homewood Suites.

So overall, the place is nice, but the other issues I mentioned would keep me from staying here again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank WebBrown
Orlando Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2009

This hotel is adjacent to the Hilton Garden Inn Hotel ( which was very attractive looking) and they share a pool and work out room. I stayed at this hotel with two other colleagues while attending a conference at St. Vincent's hospital about 3 miles away. We booked the one bedroom suite since we had two females and a male traveling together. It was very roomy and included a kitchen with a table and chairs, roomy living room with a fold out sofa. According to our male colleague the sofa was okay for a few night, but not for a extended stay. The bedroom had two queen beds and a was quiet spacious. The females of the group felt a "little" guilty about having a nice bedroom with our male collegue having the sofa bed........but it worked out fine. We shared the bathroom and did not have any problems with privacy, for anyone who may have those concerns traveling. They also offered a two bedroom suite, we did not want to pay the extra price so we did not book it. The Hilton Garden Inn has a restuarant which was okay........nothing to write home about it. But the staff at both hotels were very friendly and accomodating. The hotel also offers a breakfeast which includes bagels, toast, cereal, scrambled eggs and bacon.....I found it quiet good. The room was very clean, and attractively designed and we had no problem with noise. The hotel also had a busineess center. The charge you for parking as they have their own parking garage with a security guard and charge you $10.00 a day.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank chimmicat
hinesville, ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2009

From the moment that we arrived we were treated like royalty by the staff. The rooms was amazing. It was very clean and a great value for the price. We stayed for two nights and actually wanted to stay longer. This is where we will be staying when we are in Jacksonville, The entire staff was so helpful and so friendly. I really can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our visit.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Sebastian, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2009

On my last trip to Jacksonville, FL, I stayed at this particular hotel vs staying at my usual Crowne Plaza and I am pleased to report that it was an excellent decision!

This hotel is newly built and ajoins the Hilton Garden Inn. This is a first and I had not seen ajoining hotels in all of my travels. The hotel is new so it is extremely clean and quiet and the staff are very accommodating. Although I did not use the pool--it was gorgeous and was in the middle of the ajoining buildings. My room had a king sized bed with a studio type living room with what I assume was a fold out couch. The kitchen was full and was great if you are staying for a while. The bathroom had a very large walk in shower but no tub but it was great for me. If you walk thru the hallway on the first floor you will arrive at the Hilton Garden Inn which has a bar and restaurant.

Now for the down side--there is a parking garage right next to the building and the staff led me to believe that this was the only parking--it was not and there was a fee. If you drive around the driveway to the very back of the hotels, there is some minimal parking and there are also a few slots on the side. Maybe it is safer in the garage? Don't know. Also, the hotel signage is small and is difficult to see from the road--I immediately saw the Hilton Garden Inn signage and passed on by not knowing that the Homewood ajoins the Hilton Garden.

The hotel has the usual breakfast which was good. I had arrived too late to sample the dinner. On my next trip to Jacksonville, I will again stay at this hotel, particularly if I stay multiple nites.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank MarleneU
JAXSBGI, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Jacksonville Downtown/Southbank, responded to this review, 4 October 2009
Dear MarleneU,

Thank you for your kind words. We are very proud of the hotels and all they have to offer. I so pleased you enjoyed your stay.

You had mentioned the ground level parking in your review and I wanted to make you aware that those parking spots are not owned or managed by the hotel. You would be parking at your own risk. We have secured the entire first floor of the Kings Ave Garage for our guest's convienience and satisfaction.

I hope this tidbit bit of information helps and the next time you come to stay please ask for me. I would love to meet you.

Safe Travels,
Christopher L. Hill, CHSP
Director of Sales
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2009

This hotel was a classic example of under promise - over deliver... The lobby and complimentary breakfast areas were very clean, warm and inviting. The staff smiled and greeted us when we entered. The room was huge with a separate bedroom, living room and small kitchen. Great if you're staying a couple of days and don't want to eat out every meal to keep it healthy. Nice pool and exercise room. DVD players are in the room with a well stocked pantry in the lobby for a midnight snack or drink.

I had an issue with my Hilton Honors points and mentioned this to the manager, Chris, on check-out. He was very pro-active, took my Honors Number and called the help desk for me to resolve it to my satisfaction. He didn't have to do it - but he wanted to help. That's called customer service ! The nice lady in charge of the breakfast area even came running after me one morning to make sure I had a bottled water to take with me for the day... Unbelievable service in this day and age.

I really prefer the Homewood Suites over the Marriott Courtyard and Residence Inns by a long shot and even prefer it over the Hampton Inns and Hilton Garden Inns. If you travel as much as I do, you appreciate coming back to a hotel that feels more like a comfortable home. Great Hotel - Great Manager, Great Staff.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank RichsPicks
Jacksonville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

I had a major flood in my house which necessitated an extended stay at the Homewood Suites.

I hardly know where to begin simply because my stay there was excellent on all accounts. The suite was large and very comfortable. Having a kitchen, living room and spacious bedroom made the length of my stay very pleasant, even given the circumstances. The bed was extremely comfortable, and oddly enough, the pillows were unlike any I have ever used. I had complete comfort and actually am going to purchase the same pillows they provided.

I loved the breakfasts and "homecoming receptions" at dinner time. Each morning, there was a full breakfast bar including eggs, bacon or sausage, waffles, cereal, fruit, yogurt, juice, and assorted breads, bagels and muffins. Darlene, who prepared the food, was very accommodating, and made sure the food was always hot and fresh. Dinners were homestyle cooking, and delicious!

I really liked that the tables in the dining room were set far enough apart that it was possible to hold private conversations, as well as not feeling right on top of your dining neighbor. I would often go to the Hilton side of the complex for lunch or just to sit in the lounge area to read.

The hotel staff went far out of their way to see to my comfort. One thing I really appreciated was that everyone knew my name and always had a cheerful word to say. I lost my room key several times the first week, and it got to the point where any time I approached the front desk, they started the process of making a new key for me! That may seem insignificant, but it was typical of the personal level of service they provided.

There were business people, families and people in my situation. When any of us discussed our stay there, we all agreed that it was top notch. The management staff made a point to check on my comfort, and often would stop by my table to chat.

I have recommended this hotel to all my friends, and should the need arise again, I would not hesitate to stay there again. I do want to add that I have no affiliation with the hotel whatsoever, nor am I in a like business; just a very satisfied customer.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo