All reviews the hotel sits cinnamon rolls off the highway memorial day weekend the breakfast area room was spacious everbank field would definitely stay here again free breakfast front desk staff shower head business center short drive oatmeal clerk sofa microwave
Reviewed 25 June 2018

One-nighter with my family on a road trip. Room 307

The good: Easily accessible location from 295, "Low" price, very attentive and polite staff. room was spacious for what we needed, and beds pretty confy. Hot breakfast included. Easy and well lit parking.

The bad: The hotel is in desperate need of a makeover. Floor carpet stained and look dirty. Rooms seems to be from the 80's. Bath room door do not close well, showerhead not cleaned for who knows when (vinegar and a scrub will get the calcium clean), paint in mirror falling off, and toilet tank took forever to fill.

Expected more considering I'd stayed multiple times in other HI Express locations in the US and abroad.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms next to elevators. No good view in this location.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Jacksonville East, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Hello mik00725,

Thank you for choosing us for your travel and for leaving a short review. I am happy that our location worked for your travel needs, and that you found our staff commendable. On the other hand, I am sorry that the hotel's upkeep and the condition of the room affected your overall satisfaction. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for.

Best Regards,

John O
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

We originally had reservations at the Marble Waters Inn (just a few miles away), but the experience was SO bad, we cut our losses and left before spending the first night - be sure to read my review for that location if you are considering it. We were able to find a room at the HIE Jacksonville East on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend - I think there may have only been 1 or 2 rooms left at the time we booked.

The hotel is situated a very short distance from a main road, but it's curvy and located behind a storage business, so you may not easily see if from the street. Personally, I like the feeling of seclusion. Upon check-in the clerk was nice enough (not exactly friendly, but I could tell they had a full house and she appeared to be alone, so I wasn't offended). The lobby is open and spacious, but fairly bare. The windows and doorways were all missing framing (I'm guessing this may be a result of Hurricane Maria LAST year?! If so, repairs need to be sped up). There were also no baseboards on the ground floor. This all seems to just be cosmetic, but it isn't what I think anyone would expect.

We were located in room 314. You literally take 5 steps from the elevator to your room - I've attached a photo. Admittedly, I was disappointed (expecting the chatter of guests and the elevator dinging to be a disturbance), but, beggars can't be choosers and we needed a place to stay! Surprisingly, we never heard the elevator noise, and only heard some women waiting early one morning talking about slapping someone in the mouth.

The room itself was exactly what you would expect - clean, smelled nice. However, the AC had been turned off, so it was like walking into a sauna. We cranked the AC as high as possible and it took a good hour to cool the room to a comfortable level. Despite being clean, the room did show definite signs of wear. What I think was probably 'grips' in the bathtub were almost worn away, leaving it to look really bad. There was some kind rust/wear on the bathroom faucet that initially looked like bird poop! Obviously, it wasn't bird poop - but it was some kind of crusty something. The shower head also had seen better days and had some kind of green scaly stuff on it.

The bed was comfy, and the room was much quieter than we originally expected it to be. I did have to get a new box of tissue from the front desk as there was only ONE tissue left in the box.

We had enough towels and washcloths, but needed to ask for few more (due to a melting ice cream situation - no fault of the hotel's). However, I was told they didnt have any at the moment, but there were some in the dryer. 't took well over an hour - maybe 2 - before they were brought up. Again, the hotel was packed, but to not have 2 extra towels/washcloths seems a bit unprepared.

The next morning, we ate at in the breakfast area. I will say the food was very good, but the seating area was absolutely filthy. There was mystery goop on chairs, the tables and chairs were sticky and covered in crumbs. The floors appeared as though they had never been mopped. There was even food on the walls. I did see one person reloading the breakfast bar - but that appeared to be the only breakfast 'staff' I saw. I think that perhaps if she had some help, the seating area could have been better maintained (especially on a busy holiday weekend), and she may have felt like she had more time to arrange the food in a more appealing presentation - instead of stacking trays of cinnamon rolls on top of each other. I cannot stress enough, this WAS busy weekend, and perhaps this isn't the daily 'norm' - however the floors that clearly had not been cleaned in quite some time seem to indicate that, despite the holiday weekend crowd, this area is probably not maintained the best.

Checkout was simple - our bill was slipped under the door early in the morning and no visit to the desk was required.

Overall, the value was just ok. The room was fine, although in need of some repair/updates. The breakfast tasted good, but the area was in serious need of cleaning. If the lobby and breakfast area were repaired/cleaned and the bathroom hardware replaced, I could have easily given 4 or 5 stars.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2018

Doubled billed for room. Claimed we smoked in nonsmoking room. Will not discuss issue. Cannot speak to manager. Will not take off charge. No one in our party smokes. Sister has allergies, so we always book nonsmoking rooms.

Room Tip: If you stay here check your bill and your charge card
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Glenna T
Reviewed 29 April 2018

Watch your credit card they billed me twice requested non smoking room because no one in my party smoked my card was charged twice they claimed my bathroom had been smoked in trying to talk to manager

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed 28 February 2018

Clean and well furnished !the staff was knowledgeable a d helful in helping us find our way in the area! We also had a great selection for breakfast!, the rooms were clean and greatly accom idating! The location was ideal being close to UNF,

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple