“Great food, Friendly Service”
Review of Tanks Family BBQ - CLOSED

Tanks Family BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Mocksville, North Carolina
“Great food, Friendly Service”
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Tanks Family BBQ is one of our favorite places to eat! The owner's are very friendly and serve great food! The BBQ is awesome and comes out fast whether it's for dine in or carry-out. Multiple choices of barbecue sauce, the home made chips are awesome, definitely have to try it!

• Visited March 2013

Jacksonville, FL
“BEST BBQ IN TOWN”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I will start by saying that I am a BBQ fanatic who has owned a smoker (Big Green Egg Large) that has see weekly action for the past 15 + years, and therefore not easy to please. This is THE place for those who love great Q and do not mind a bright, clean setting vs the typical down and dirty place with hats or shirts with suggestive art-work hanging from the ceiling. First, I need to thank my 11 year old grandson Matthew, who has recommended this place and was dead-on right. I did not confirm, but it appears to be a husband & wife team than own, run & cook here. I love the sauce selection, which is not only wide-ranging, but unique, since they make their own sauces. They have the usual sweet and smokey and they kick it up several notches for those of us (like myself) who are chile-heads and love that burn. To me, the best burn is not the super-hot that slams you in the face on the first taste, but the kind that has a great complicated layered flavor that does not overwhelm the meat and sneaks up on you after the bite has been savored. They have accomplished this with a somewhat creamy moderately hot (labeled hot for those non-chile-heads) habanero creamy colored sauce and my fave, the Datil Hot sauce. For those who not know, the datil pepper (which I grow for cooking in my back yard) is an import that came with the Minorcans near Portugal that immigrated to St. Augustine, which is the epicenter of datil production in the USA. To put it in perspective to other hot chiles, it is similar in heat to the habanero, yet adds a sweet/pungent flavor to the mix. One marble-size datil pepper can be enough to add big flavor and heat to 2 quarts of sauce. Using it sparingly give a wonderful flavor to meat, beans, etc. Adding a lot (like I did with my beans) gives big, bold flavor with lots of warm-fuzzy sweating at the temples - WOW!
Now to the reason you will want to come here: the food is killer good, including great sides and adult beverages. Christina had the brisket, Texas toast, and sides of mac & cheese and lima beans. The lima beans are actually the huge meaty more flavorful butter beans. Mine was the pulled pork plate, Texas toast, and sides of baked beans and slaw. Without reservation, we agreed that the meats, sides and sauces made Tank's our new BBQ favorite. I said earlier that I added Datil Hot Sauce to the beans, but I do that to ANY baked bean dish. This one does not need doctoring if you are not someone that loves heat in their beans. Good flavor, meat & texture. The slaw is my favorite old-school sugar-vinegar-black pepper sweet-sour slaw with no mayo. Great flavor and fresh-crispy. Her sides were both exactly the way she would make them and she is a Louisville, KY native who knows her Southern sides. We each enjoyed having the option of a nice selection of beer beside high-end soft drinks.
This is a local start-up businesses that deserves a visit. We HIGHLY RECOMMEND Tanks.

• Visited February 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
“Meats were unbelievable, sides too unusal for my taste”
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The barbequed meats were the best BBQ I have ever tasted, anywhere! That part gets a "5". The sides were a creative twist on the old favories - cole slaw, potatoe salad. I didn't like that much of a creative interpretation! I wanted an excellent version of old favorites. For example, the potato salad was a odd, vinegar based rendition. Others may enjoy the new version, I didn't. The staff was helpful and friendly. They use a LOT of red in their ambience - too much for my taste. I got it to go, and ate at my house. Did I say the meat was unbelievable???

Visited January 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wow.”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I recommend the sweet potato fries. They're packed with flavor. The portions are generous enough to satisfy even the biggest appetite, and the staff is extremely friendly.

Jacksonville, Florida
“average bbq”
Reviewed 22 January 2012

we were recommended to go to tanks, but we found it to be just like most other bbq places only more expensive. The evening we went there was no available seating so we did a take out. The food was ok,but not great, and we don't plan on going back.

Visited September 2011