“Overcharged and numerous authorizations placedon my card”

Holiday Inn Express Jacksonville South I-295
Ranked #66 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Alabama
“Overcharged and numerous authorizations placedon my card”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2008

As a priority club member and frequent stayer at Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express properties, I was totally dissatisfied with my stay. I made reservations thorugh Holiday Inn Express website. I was charged a deposit on a reservation without being ever informed that it would happen. This is done the morning of the arrival date - way befoe check in time and before I showed up. We checked in that night and in the morning while checking my account I found that my card had been charged and authorized for $1100 in charges. My entire stay was only to be $452.65 for 5 nights. I was billed the $452.65 for the enitre stay upon check in without being informed of this. I have had my account authorized for a stay before, but never charged for the stay on arrival. In addition I was also charged $105 deposit for the room, $150 deposit for damages due to no smoking and no pets policy, $397.17 was also charged as well. On Monday August 11 had over $1100 in charges on my card from this hotel. I talked to the fornt desk and they said they would remove the charges and take care of the situation. I checked out on the 14th. All charges were still there. In fact, my total bill was less than the $452.65 as I left a day early and I was due a refund of $92.65. So for total charges of about $360.22 I as of this monring the 15th of august still have $1100in charges posted on my account. They couldn't even proces my check out it was so messed up.

Also note that while the towels and sheets seemed clean, the floors need desperate cleaning. Your feet and socks will be ptiche black due to the filth. Also, the beds are not new but very old. I have a bad back and suffered tremedously. The breakfast was tolerable but nothing to write home about. The bacon and eggs were disgusting, but there was cereal and yogurt as well as breads.

I will not stay here again and am in fact considering if I will ever stay at a Holidayy Inn ever again. My last three stays have allbeen dissapointing and priority club doesn't seem to care about enuring standards are met. I never have problems at Hilton or Marriott propertiesincluding Courtyard, Hamptonn Inn, etc. I got the run around from the priority club and the hotel management. ASI said, I was charged $1100 dollars and told this was hotel policy to charge deposits so they can be paid if there are any damages and to charge up front for stay. Stay away from this place.

• Disliked — Overcharged, nocommunication,lack of service, limited dining options nearby, in shpping center parking lot
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank rch1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
West Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2008

I had to read through these reviews and double-check to make sure this is the same address where the unsatisfied guests stayed.

I am floored that a majority of people were so unhappy. I travel every week and I have had a great trip. The room is spotless, the housekeeping staff is very courteous and when they passed me in the hallway they asked me if my room was fine and if I needed anything.

The breakfast room is a decent size and the food is standard for a continental breakfast...fruit, muffins, hardboiled eggs, cereal, etc.

It's not a bad place at all...I didn't see any cockroaches or bugs but it is January. For those of you who live out of state, bugs are normal in Florida. We have giant ones called palmetto bugs which are basically HUGE roaches. It's a tropical climate and bugs are hard to kill during the summer months and much easier to control in the winter. You'll find bugs everywhere unfortunately. That's just Florida. Humid and buggy.

I'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank simplechic
nebraska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2007

I had a reservation for July 2, which I could not honor, as my wife was in the hospital. As I had made my reservation at holidayinnexpress.com, there was a charge for the first night as a cancellation penalty, but per holiday inn express, it is up to the individual hotel to honor. I called the hotel directly and was issued a cancellation number, and was told directly that there would be no charge. I rebooked my reservation for the next week, suspecting nothing. When my credit card bill arrived, I found that I had been charged when I was told directly by the manager on duty that I would not be and I had a cancellation number as well. Repeated calls to the hotel management have failed to get a credit. The hotel owner is failing to honor the commitments of his staff. AVOID this hotel at all costs.

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank cheeseheaddad
tallahassee, fl
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2007

I am the type of person who knows what I like--Hiltons, some Double Trees & Marriots, etc--but I was working with my husband's money when I came upon this place on-line & made the mistake of thinking it was OK for a night or two. There were 6 COCKROACHES, a SPIDER, & SOMETHING ELSE that I've never seen before IN THE ROOM with us. Did we complain? Of course! The manager simply told us pest control would come out later in the month. We emailed the corporate office once we got home & never received a response. They cleaned off the breakfast bar early, too, & the shower was more like a leaky faucet. There were stains on the towels & cloths. Totally third world. Ruined my vacation. Disgusting.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Cockroaches should've helped with the bill
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
NewYork
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2007

Visiting the Mayo Clinic from New York because my husband was very ill. My husband was scheduled for spinal surgery so I booked this hotel for that night. I was alone - all our relatives are in other states. I called several times to tell the hotel I was not ready to leave my husband at the hospital yet and to please hold the room because I needed a place to sleep, of course. The last time I called, to let them know I was on my way, the lady who answered the phone said there WAS NO ROOM AVAILABLE for me. I ended up sleeping in my clothes on a chair in the hospital. No shower, no toothbrushing, etc. until I found another place the next day. After we returned to New York I received a bill - The Holiday Express CHARGED ME FOR THAT NIGHT! Seems to me they overbooked and then charged me anyway. What a shabby way to treat a person visiting Jacksonville to save her husband's life! He's recovering, thanks to the Mayo Clinic! I did call this hotel and asked for a refund, but they were very cold and uncaring about this. No refund.

• Liked — They are close to St. Joseph's Hospital
  • Disliked — Dishonest, greedy and cruel. Overbooked and charged me anyway. No refund.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BronxNewYork
Nittany, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2007

When I checked in, I was given room key only to find out that I was put in a room with one king bed even though I had booked 2 queen beds. We could not fit all of our travelers on one king bed so I went back to inquire at the front desk. "Oh, I forgot to tell you that we don't have two queens". I had confirmation number, but not only did they fail to provide the room I had contracted for, but they would not adjust the rate of the room!!!! We had to sleep with multiple "cots" with no apologies from the management and no adjustment for our room that was different than what we booked (I produced the printed confirmation and confirmation number immediately upon my discovering the error). I don't mind if something bad happens out of control of the hotel, but they should at least inform the traveler and try to make adjustments as soon as they are notified.

• Disliked — Unreasonable service.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank RightDoc
Lutz, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2006

I was put up here for a nearby conference, and was hesitant as I tend to stay in higher-end or luxury properties. However, I must say that the facility was lovely. The staff at the desk was very nice, the room was comfortable and clean, the bathroom was big, and the heating and cooling unit had a lot of settings to choose from... which was good because it got down to 40 degrees the night I was there!! The view is not so hot; the parking lot is shared with Publix, Burlington Coat Factory, and Hobby Lobby as well as some smaller stores. (Which was convenient, because it turns out I needed to buy a coat due to the cold snap!) Free breakfast with a good variety of choices. Far from downtown, but close to where I needed to be. Overall, a well-run and well-taken-care-of property. I'd stay again if the need arises.

• Liked — Clean, FULLY NON-SMOKING facility!!! Yay!!
  • Disliked — In a shopping center, though I actually benefited from that.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't bring cigarettes or pets... they are absolutely not allowed!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank Blue7870
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacksonville
Courtyard Jacksonville Flagler Center
La Quinta Inn & Suites
La Quinta Inn & Suites
#71 of 132 in Jacksonville
Hampton Inn & Suites Jacksonville - Bartram Park
Ramada Jacksonville Hotel & Conference Center
Fairfield Inn Jacksonville Orange Park
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville Orange Park

Been to Holiday Inn Express Jacksonville South I-295? Share your experiences!