“Not a Good Experience”

Ranked #17 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Savannah, United States
“Not a Good Experience”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Not Expected of Hilton First, the woman at the counter when we checked in COMPLETELY ignored us. She was writing names on cards and said "You have to give me a minute", basically, she told us we are not important to her. Secondly, when I returned with my Father, there was no one at the desk at all!! I went to the kitchen, dining area, outside, business center - no one was available. When someone finally came, he acted as if there was an issue with us searching for help when no one was there (dressed unprofessionally because he did not have a belt and his pants were sagging). In addition to that, there was construction going on in the room across from us and to the right of us! Our room smelled like paint the entire weekend!! It would have been nice to be informed of this during check in, but the employees were to busy writing names on packets they neglected to inform us. By the way, I may not be a Platinum or Diamond member, but acknowledgement of my status, my company pays several million to you all each year. Not to mention, the air conditioning in our room was not working properly and when I phoned downstairs about it the answer given was "Well, sometimes it acts like that. Just don't touch it anymore and it may work". It finally worked at 830 in the morning - I called at 125AM. Finally, I was charged for breakfast, which was included in my room, and had to call and was treated with disrespect when I educated the associate. Do you all not check receipts and room numbers to match promotions? The only good feedback I have about my stay is Donald - he was very friendly and smiled and the young lady cooking hot food. Those two moved like they had a purpose and enjoyed their jobs. To answer your question about what could have been done: Hire more people who care about their jobs and customer service because with the exception of the 2 listed above, Hilton Garden in at Jacksonville Airport does not.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

1 Thank Amber E
hgiAIRPORTjax, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville Airport, responded to this review, 24 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I can assure you that Customer Satisfaction is very important to us and we try our best on a daily basis to exceed our guests expectations. As most can relate, we do occasionally fall below in certain areas. We do our best to grow from these experiences. We look forward to a future opportunity to show you that we can provide the level of service you have come to expect.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Groton, Connecticut
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Classic Hilton Garden Inn. If you have stayed at one you have stayed here. All the staff are friendly and knowledgeable but the hotel is overpriced. The box springs of our bed was broken resulting in the bed being severely lopsided and impacted our sleep. The staff comped us an excellent breakfast which did make up for it. All in all a great clean and comfortable hotel but it is overpriced.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

My room was not ready at 3:00, I was told to come back, really? They couldn't find a ready room for a diamond member. Rooms are old and mine smelled "soapy". Breakfast had very few choices, was greasy and self serve but they will remind you it's not free. 6:30 am and they can't bother to stock coffee supplies. Won't stay here again.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank doozerkitty
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel on an overnight business trip. The front counter staff was friendly but my pleasant experience stopped there. My bathroom had someone elses pubic hair all over the bathroom. The toilet required at least three flushes to get just liquids down. Both closet doors were off the track so I couldn't hang up my suit or easily retrieve the ironing board.

I explained all of these issues to the counter staff, and while they apologized, they made no attempt to correct or compensate me for all of the issues. I would expect to pay no more then $50 a night for this room and I paid over triple that. I would definietly not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike M
Drogheda
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Convenient location near the airport. If you get the shuttle from the airport be aware that you catch the Hampton Inn shuttle (it only has the Garden Inn logo on the back of the bus, meaning you only see it after it's gone past you!).
Rooms were clean and staff were friendly. But the breakfast buffet is not up to Garden Inn standard. Think of a Hampton breakfast with an added option of omlettes.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Birmingham. AL
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed one night, the first night of a 12-day trip through Florida. Got in late and were gambling on using one of the rest-area coupon books -- another Hilton-family motel nearby was booked up, but the HGI wasn't. They accepted the coupon, even though the parking lot looked almost full. Score!

Room was very clean, which is not surprising for HGI. Beds were very comfortable; they're even adjustable for firmness, though we didn't know that until the next morning and it really couldn't have improved on things, anyway. Bathrooms were very nice, and spotless. Staff was very friendly.

The only drawback is that that breakfast is not a freebie at HGI, as it is with fellow Hilton-family chain Hampton Inn. In fact, that seems to be the main differential between the two brands, it seems to me. They do serve a breakfast buffet for $9.99, but I took a look at it and wasn't hugely impressed. Didn't look to be worth the money. There are lots of dining options nearby for all meals, including Waffle House and Denny's for 24-hour food (although the Denny's was closed temporarily because of a utility problem) and lots of higher-end stuff, too.

All totaled, a great place to spend an overnight. You can find deep discount rates on a couple of hotel-coupon websites. If you're flying in to the nearby airport, they have a shuttle.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Very convenient place to stay when taking an early flight out of JAX the next morning. The room was clean, bedding was comfortable and all in all, a good place to stay and sleep, if that's all you're going to need for a room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business