“Satisfying Lunch - a few quirks”
Review of Olio

Olio
Ranked #57 of 2,027 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Price range: US$4 - US$14
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Featured on the Travel Channel's "Adam Richman's Best Sandwich in America" for our Duck Grilled Cheese, we are located in "The elbow" downtown Jacksonville's entertainment district. Our locals know that our Fish Tacos, Steak & Aged Gouda Cheese, and our "Deep-Dish" Quiche may even edge our the Duck Grilled Cheese. Stop by and watch our chefs prepare you lunch in our open exhibition kitchen. Everything is prepared from scratch daily, as such some items are only available in limited quantities.
Jacksonville, Florida
“Satisfying Lunch - a few quirks”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

An ad, on line, said "In honor of Jacksonville's French roots" Olio would be serving "A daily French lunch special" for three days in May. Being of French roots, I decided to try it.

I didn't even know the place existed in Jacksonville until I saw this event. The façade of the restaurant is rather nondescript but not hard to find and there is plenty of street parking available all around the old courthouse annex (Olio's is diagonally across the street from the Courthouse Annex building).

We arrived about 11:40 AM and it's a good thing we did. By the time we left at 12:20, the queue to order had reached the front door. It's a stand in line and order, wait for your name to be called, go get your meal kind of place.

The wait was not long at all and both of us dining found the food to be pretty darn good. The pommes frites (French fries) were really good. My friend had the bisque and the duck grilled cheese. Both were tasty and filling. I opted for the "French lunch special" which consisted of Croque-Monsieur, the side of pomme frites, a salad and a glass of Louis Perdrier Champagne. It was advertised to have the daily French dessert, but I never saw a desert. (maybe they just forgot).

All said and done, for stand up and order, communal dining, plastic tableware and plates, kind of place, it was both creative and tasty. Unlike another reviewer, I did not find the food to be overly salty although you could tell salt is used in the preparation.

Having tried a lot of restaurants for lunch in and around Jacksonville, I'm more than pleased to say I'll go back here and try some of the other menu items. I think it's worth a visit!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Larry L

Arlington, Virginia
“Downtown oasis”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Visitors to the downtown Jacksonville area will find themselves with few restaurants to choose from. Olio, with its nondescript storefront, is easy to miss - but worth stopping by. A local conference had the lines almost out the door, but the service at this casual bistro was prompt. Menus are printed on heavy wooden boards; stand in line at one of two registers to place your order, and then wait for the kitchen staff to bark your name so you can retrieve your lunch. The famous duck grilled cheese was added to the "86" list before we got to the front of the line, but the fish tacos were a generous portion and heavily spiced. The quiche was equally large, and everyone left our meal satisfied. Communal seating!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Qlever
Alpharetta, Georgia
“creative twists but missing details”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Stopped in for lunch, had a shrimp po-boy. The sandwich was good, shrimp were good, fresh, adding some spice with andouille was a nice twist but the bread was grocery store quality instead of the nice crusty bread found in New Orleans. Iced tea was fresh and the meal was fairly priced but good bread would have gone a long way to improve the experience.

Visited April 2014
Pensacola, Florida
“Salty salty salty”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

My son and I are big foodies and he's a big fan of duck dishes. So when we travel we like to try new restaurants and especially those we see on food network. Well on our way through Jacksonville we stayed the night just to try Olio's since it's a breakfast and lunch place. He ordered the duck grilled cheese and I ordered the shrimp po boy, I'm a Louisiana boy. We also ordered the fries with aoli. It was all so salty that we didn't even finish it. The fries were good because I like salty fries. We actually threw the rest away and left because it was that unbearable. The service was pretty fast though.

Jacksonville, Florida
“Great menu”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Olio has a comfortable spacious interior, great staff and very reasonable prices. The menu offers a variety of traditional sandwiches all with an exotic twist. So far I've been impressed with everything I've tried, but my favorite are the house fries with basil aoili sauce...they're worth a visit in themselves.

• Visited February 2014