“Under New Managment”

Ranked #83 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
raleigh nc
“Under New Managment”
Reviewed 27 December 2006

I stayed at this hotel several years ago and I can tell you it was really bad. We had disturbances at night the rooms were in bad shape and I swore I would never stay there again. But as fate would have it we had a last minute trip planned and couldn't find a room anywhere. So we stayed here. Things are really different. The staff at the hotel are courtious and friendly. The rooms have undergone renovations and looked a lot better. The rooms are clean and smelled pleasant. I was informed that they will be continuing their renovations through next year and are expecting even more new furniture including all new beds. I can tell you from experience it is like night and day. I will not hesitate to stay with them again.

• Liked — renovations
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — none
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank gatorfan10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Cantonment, FL
Reviewed 13 November 2006

We booked a non-smoking room. The sign on the door said it was a non-smoking room, but we gagged from the stale smell of smoke in the room. As the front desk is not staffed after 11pm, and we checked in at 10:52, we could not do anything about it. The bathroom was dirty, the fabric chairs in the kitchenette were stained so badly I wouldn't sit on the chair. Nothing in the kitchen worked until I discovered that the GFI had been tripped and reset it. Only 1 bath towel and 1 facecloth for each of us was provided with weekly housekeeping only! Daylight streamed in under the bottom of the outside door as well as around the doorframe. The wall lamps were hung in front of the curtains over the bed. I was afraid to leave the light on too long in case it overheated the curtains. I suppose I should be happy they left 1 16oz bottle of water and 1 packet of regular coffee as a complimentary item, but it hardly made up for the rest of the issues.

• Liked — comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Smoking smell in non-smoking room
  • Tips/Secrets — stay clear
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank JanFla
Reviewed 9 June 2006

Terrible experience... Over charged me.. Demanded payment in advance. With in an hour I told them I was only staying the one guarateed night.... and they credited me the difference... The only problem... when I got home the credit was not on my card statement.... They charge extra for everything ICE, phone, etc.

There was NO toilet paper when I got to my room.... TERRIBLE

Stayed May 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 May 2005

Not a great place -- we got a good deal through HotWire, which defined this as a 3 Star. Cheap little rooms, detached cabinet door propped up against the cabinetry under the "kitchen" sink, air conditioning unit which blew directly onto the bed 2 feet away, freezing me like a side of beef. Not Recommended!

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 March 2003

Myself @ other family members went for our brother in-laws retirement from the Navy. We all made resvations and when we arrived our reservations were not what we asked for. Some wanted 2 double beds & others queen beds. Nobody got what the requested. We were told that they sta 100% booked all the time, & when we arrived our rooms were already given away. What good does it do to make reservations & then not get what you expect? We all had booked reservations 3 weeks in advance. We had all booked for a weeks stay. We also was quite disapointed in other services such as room cleaning not available until the day you check out. We had 2 wash & 2 towels per room & they didn't come in to replace them daily. We were told that in order to get clean ones we had to turn the dirty ones in & pay $1.00 to get clean ones. We never ever had such bad experiences at any other hotels before as we did here. It was just a Rotten Experience! Also my mother @ brother had the police bangin on thier door during the night demanding they open the door. They were scared , not even sure if it was really the police or not they didn't want to open up the door . the police told them if they didn't they would break in. They apparently were looking for someone who was dealing in drugs & apparently had the wrong room. I would thnk that the scurity officer at the Hotel should have given them information on who was in the room, but they didn't. So needless to say this just ads another bad thing to our list. I think all who stayed from my family should have been compensated in some way fot this terrible experience. My sister ,& her husband had gone there a few days before our arrvival & cheked to make sure that everyones reservations were all set . They were told yes everyone is all set,but surprise when we arrived it wasn't all set & ok!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member