“WORST hotel experience EVER” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows
Ranked #79 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Charlotte, NC
“WORST hotel experience EVER”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

First this is a MOtel, NOT a HOtel. Next, this was a FILTHY room. The dirtiest I've ever encountered...ever, and I will attach pics to verify. Rooms are only "cleaned" once a week, whereas daily at other Suburban Extended Stay's, and you have to PAY EXTRA to have your room serviced more often. WHAT? We weren't provided the Queen room had CONFIRMED, rather a Full, which is OBVIOUSLY NOT designed for two adults as it was surprisingly small (we've had rooms in tiny NYC hotels larger than this); barely room to move after setting a weeks worth of luggage out.

The door wasn't installed properly, so there was a LARGE gap, allowing light, noise and bugs in. We noticed tiny little brown bugs on the wall next to the a/c unit under the window. I called the front desk to ask that they spray/bomb/whatever while we were out the next day (was here for the Mayo Clinic), but they said "sorry, we can't do that since we call an outside company & rely on their schedule, so it might be about 5 days or more." Not even an offer to come in themselves with ordinary spray out of courtesy? We were offered a diff room, but had to wait for the guy to call us back. Several hours later that call didn't come until after 11pm, after the office closed for the day. By then it was so late & the possible alternate room was on the 1st floor which I would not accept in this establishment, plus I had to be up at 5am the next morning & had no desire to repack 9 bags, drag them downstairs & unpack AGAIN, in another potentially nasty room. The next day I inquired about the new room (at a more reasonable 5pm-ish) and was told they were now totally booked.

We ended up buying a set of sheets at Wal-Mart to put on the bed since we didn't trust theirs. A blue fleece blanket under the top comforter was obviously NOT washed/changed out on cleaning day (Wed) - it had these odd sticky-to-the-touch spots on it & was still on the bed after the supposed cleaning. We removed that from the bed altogether.

The backsplash around the stovetop as well as the vent hood had brown, caked-on goop on it. How was this missed by housekeeping over & over? The shelf below the sink was filthy and the silverware caddy had dirty spots on it, so there was no way we were going to use ANY of their utensils/etc. Again, I took pics of all this, I just hope the file sizes aren't too large & I can upload them all here so you can see.

Because of the decent reviews here (albeit the most recent was from late '09), we thought this was an OK establishment. SO WRONG. We ended up leaving late the day of my last appt @ Mayo since we couldn't even stomach another night there. Driving 7hrs & arriving home at 3am was better than that. This was by far THE WORST motel/hotel I've EVER experienced, and I've stayed in my share of "budget" motels. This one takes the cake!

Several families also apparently live here. I certainly don't fault the now-residents, but as a result, the place has become a bit "seedy," with people just hanging out at all hours. And the rear parking lot has become "grill out" central and where people repair their cars when necessary (one such repair taking place when we arrived). Again, I don't fault the people that have been forced, likely by the economy, to reside in a motel, however the mgmt needs to maintain a certain level of decorum regarding the 'permanent residents' for those that do not reside there.

Spend the extra $10-$20 if you can and stay at one of the many other hotels in either direction. Your room many not have a stovetop, but you don't want to use THIS one.

The ONLY positive things I can say about this place are the following:
1) good water pressure, 2) consistent hot water, and 3) free wireless internet.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank ddbodine
sesjax, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, 10 February 2011
I would like to thank you for bringing to my attention the expierence that you had while staying with us. May I reassure you that we are doing everything we can to make this an enjoyable expierence. It is because of guests like yourself that we become aware of problems. We appreciate guests perspective. Thank you again and out hope is to have a much better place for people to stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Hampton, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2009

I am very impressed with the Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows. I came here and stayed for a week and everything was great...including the service, the room, the price and even the parking. The staff was friendly and went out of their way to help me in any way they could. My bathroom had a malfunction and someone was there to fix it in about 10 minutes. Admittatly, there was only clean-up service once a week, but in an extended stay hotel, that is what you expect. I also wanted to mention that the kitchen area was clean and everything supplied was in very good condition.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sesjax, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Jacksonville / Baymeadows, responded to this review, 5 November 2009
Wanted to thank you for both your great review, but most important the opportunity you gave us to serve your lodging needs! Thank you for that honor!

We are so pleased to know that are staff and room was up to your standards! We take pride in our work and we're thankful that it showed!

Please come back and see us upon your next trip to Jacksonville, we would love to service your needs again!
Minneapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2009

We originally planned to book 2 rooms for 1 night while attending a family wedding. Some plans changed, and we ended up booking 3 rooms for 3 nights. All of the family members were very happy with all the rooms we booked. They were very clean and very very quiet. The staff was very helpful getting us extra towels and fluffier pillows, etc. Access to the Hotel is wonderful -- just minutes from the freeway I95. Several nice restaurants are just blocks away also - Chile's was our favorite. The rooms aren't large or fancy, but they are well-maintained and clean and quiet. All came with a small fridge and cooktop and microwave. If you are looking for basic accomodations -- a place to sleep and maybe fix a meal, you can't beat the price and location. After the wedding, we day-tripped to St. Augustine one day, and to Fernandina beach another day and were happy with the easy freeway access!

• Liked — Price & Location
  • Disliked — Rooms were a bit small, check-in desk is not staffed 24 hrs
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Dusty_Sander1
ATL, GA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2007

Let me just start out by saying that I did not have anything to do with booking this motel room personally. I was simply along for the ride. A friend of mine was having a bachelorette party in Jacksonville for the FSU/Alabama game, so she booked 2 rooms. When we got there, we realized that because the beds were single, not double, there was not enough room for me and the two girls I was traveling with and we ended up having to book another room for ourselves - the last room that was available. The room we ended up staying in had one double bed, and the lady at the desk (who was the one good part of this entire fiasco) gave us an air mattress for one of us to sleep on. Our room was fairly clean, except for the floor. No one should ever, for any reason, walk on the floor in any of these rooms with bare feet, or even in socks. The area was very shady, with lots of shady characters hanging out around the motel parking lot. We made sure to have someone with us at all times when walking back and forth between our rooms because we didn't feel safe, and we are all very independent women. I suppose that the location was okay, though the cab services in the area are also very shady and they thoroughly took advantage of us. The staff in the office was very friendly and accommodating, given our situation, but they were not enough to make up for this pitiful excuse for a motel.

• Liked — the front desk staff
  • Disliked — everything!!!!!
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank GAtravelerATL
raleigh nc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2006

I stayed at this hotel several years ago and I can tell you it was really bad. We had disturbances at night the rooms were in bad shape and I swore I would never stay there again. But as fate would have it we had a last minute trip planned and couldn't find a room anywhere. So we stayed here. Things are really different. The staff at the hotel are courtious and friendly. The rooms have undergone renovations and looked a lot better. The rooms are clean and smelled pleasant. I was informed that they will be continuing their renovations through next year and are expecting even more new furniture including all new beds. I can tell you from experience it is like night and day. I will not hesitate to stay with them again.

• Liked — renovations
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — none
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank gatorfan10
Cantonment, FL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2006

We booked a non-smoking room. The sign on the door said it was a non-smoking room, but we gagged from the stale smell of smoke in the room. As the front desk is not staffed after 11pm, and we checked in at 10:52, we could not do anything about it. The bathroom was dirty, the fabric chairs in the kitchenette were stained so badly I wouldn't sit on the chair. Nothing in the kitchen worked until I discovered that the GFI had been tripped and reset it. Only 1 bath towel and 1 facecloth for each of us was provided with weekly housekeeping only! Daylight streamed in under the bottom of the outside door as well as around the doorframe. The wall lamps were hung in front of the curtains over the bed. I was afraid to leave the light on too long in case it overheated the curtains. I suppose I should be happy they left 1 16oz bottle of water and 1 packet of regular coffee as a complimentary item, but it hardly made up for the rest of the issues.

• Liked — comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Smoking smell in non-smoking room
  • Tips/Secrets — stay clear
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank JanFla
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2006

Terrible experience... Over charged me.. Demanded payment in advance. With in an hour I told them I was only staying the one guarateed night.... and they credited me the difference... The only problem... when I got home the credit was not on my card statement.... They charge extra for everything ICE, phone, etc.

There was NO toilet paper when I got to my room.... TERRIBLE