“Sweet paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Tapa That
Ranked #697 of 1,982 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are a small, family owned and operated tapas lounge with a selection of local eats and specialty items made with love. No heating lamps, no hidden kitchen staff, no microwaves... just the smiling faces you see up front, and Chef; cooking away in "her cave" as she calls it.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sweet paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I are sitting in the restaurant right now drinking a glass of wine and having a meal, and personally I can sit in here for the next few hours enjoying every moment. The service was outstanding and the food bursted with amazing flavors. Definitely coming back.

1 Thank Ryan M

Jacksonville, Florida, United States
“Great Little Gem in a Neighborhood of Star Seekers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

In a neighborhood of fast food, burgers-at-the-bar and a few high-priced trendy joints, I was pleasantly surprised with the food quality, service, and lack of attitude at this unpretentious little café. The first time I visited was for Sunday brunch with friends who had each been there a couple of times before. The tacos, curried vegetable dishes and other items that we ordered were delectable. Our server was attentive. This is a tapas restaurant, so plates are on the smaller side, but the three of us were still satisfied with one plate each since we weren't looking to gorge.

A few weeks later, we were looking for a place to take some friends who are very particular diners so we could celebrate one of their birthdays - on the night before Thanksgiving. These friends prefer to eat late, so I called ahead to Tapa That and learned that they close at 8:00 PM on week nights. However, the person who answered the phone told me that "if we know ahead of time that you are coming, we will be happy to seat you at 8:00." So we reserved ahead for a party of 10 to be seated right at 8:00.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. We ordered one or two of almost every item on the menu. I particularly enjoyed the chorizo tacos, the quesadillas, and some of the vegan plates. The vegan cheese was my least favorite dish - but cheese lovers should generally stick with real cheese anyway, right? They offered a selection of wines, none very expensive. Even though they did not have rabbit on the menu, my friend who organized the night out for his mother asked in advance if they could prepare several entrees of rabbit, and they did.

Overall, this restaurant is a great addition to Jacksonville's urban core dining scene. I look forward to going back soon.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Neighborhood restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

The service is excellent, good atmosphere, menu changes regularly with wonderful choices that are posted on the blackboard. Definitely one of my favorites!!!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank susrosen
“MY FAVORITE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

I am a frequent diner at this amazing restaurant. The food and service are both tops. The menu changes to include only the freshest ingredients. A couple of my favorite tapas are the chorizo tacos, and roasted vegetable salad. And the atmosphere couldn't be more comfortable. Def my favorite spot in Jax for a meal or drink:)

• Visited September 2013
“Tapa That Now”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

Fried Artichoke Hearts, Smoked Duck Salad, Oven-baked Gouda, Seafood Crepes, and two glasses of wine made for a delicious and fun evening for my wife and I. The service is top-notch; friendly, helpful, and observant without being overbearing. The dishes are interesting, flavorful, and served on time in proper order. The menu is written on the board and changes with whatever is freshly purchased that day. One slight downer: we had hoped for more of a Spanish flair to the menu. Beyond that, this a place well worth your time and money for some very good food in a great atmosphere.
When we mentioned we were celebrating my wife's b-day they brought a complimentary dessert with the bill. It was easy to tell/feel that the gesture was genuine,

• Visited August 2013