“Better options”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Flagler Avenue
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Food is average. Setting is nice but the place is dead. Went for a business dinner on a Thursday and by 8:00 the place was empty. It seems to cater to an older in town clientele. In a different location, it would do much better.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Had dinner at the Wine Cellar last night and as always, Wayne is very accommodating for a nice quiet area in the restaurant. I ordered the salmon and I have to admit, this was one of the best meals I have ever had there. Not sure if they have a new chef or just a new menu or what, but everyone else complimented on how good their food was that evening. Kevin was our server this time and was very prompt with our food and wine. I will be back!

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We wanted to go to the best seafood restaurant in Jacksonville and the Wine Cellar was recommended. Well, I didn't order seafood but the other guests did and enjoyed it 'ok'. I ordered Lamb Chops and was soooo happy I did. Most delectable and the presentation was really nice. The atmosphere is nothing to brag about but nice. Would I go back? Probably not. Since then I was told I should go to one of the 'local whole-in-the-wall" seafood restaurants to get the best.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

This was a great way to end a long and tiring work week and start a pleasant weekend. And the positive experience began earlier when I checked in to the Hampton Inn across the street and asked about the Wine Cellar. It sounded good, and even better with a coupon for 15% off the entire check (except for service charge).

The décor is cozy, and kind of a throwback to similar restaurants back in the 70s and 80s--which is not a bad thing at all.

I was seated at a table in the second dining room, and my server (Kay) arrived before I had a chance to even look at the wine list. By the time she returned with water, I had decided on a glass of sparkling wine (Chandon) and a few minutes later I ordered the green salad and the glazed scallops.

While the salad itself was good, the strawberry mint vinaigrette was outstanding. Maybe next time I'll them to hold the salad and just bring me a serving of vinaigrette. And maybe by then they'll have licensed the recipe to an artisanal food processor and sell me a few bottles to take home.

If I get a chance I customarily order scallops for dinner on March 14. This is because my late mother used to tell a story about the evening of March 14 many years ago and why she never ate scallops again after that meal. It had something to do with the fact that I was born very early the next morning. But I digress. She might have recanted if she had eaten these large tender (very important for scallops) morsels, served on smashed peas and with potatoes and bacon.

Next time I'm in Jacksonville I will definitely eat here again--for the food, the atmosphere and the caring service.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

The Valentine's dinner special was great. Food was really good and a 5 stars service. One of the best restaurants in Jacksonville.