“Very Good, eager to please” 4 of 5 bubbles

Fred Cotten Barbeque
Ranked #715 of 1,982 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Jacksonville, FL
“Very Good, eager to please”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We had stopped a couple of months ago for the sandwich board special of buy a large pork or beef sandwich, two sides and a drink and get one. Very tasty, sandwich (filled to slightly overflowing), grilled corn, and sauce. The fries were good, but okay. This past Saturday was 4th saturday cruise down main st. (Classics, muscles, customs, and music). We used that as the excuse for dinner at Cottens. I had the Large rib dinner ($16.95, fries and tossed salad, 6 large meaty ribs with bread top and bottom) mu husband had the 1/2 chicken dinner (same sides, and bread). We top home leftovers and resolved to order smaller next time. The server explained, one sauce, one dressing for the salad (vinegary thousand island house dressing). The sauce is more mustard vinegar like, and less spicy than The Pig, Jenkins, or Jerome Brown-and there is a hot version available. It accentuates the flavor of the meat, which is not as heavily smoked as some places, yet still has a nice bark that is not too tough.

They have several specials that I noticed, whole turkey & Butt $35.00, whole turkey breast $25.00, Tailgate special a slab of ribs and 1/2 a chicken $28.00 (this may include sides, but don't quote me on that), weekly take out special of rib dinner (8), chicken or pork (7) and this includes beans and corn. They let us know that they are now open on Sunday from 10-5.

This is an older establishment, so don't expect fancy.

• Visited September 2013

Atlanta
“All BBQ aspires to be this good.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

Went here as a kid with my dad. It is not in the best neighborhood, but for BBQ this good I could care less where I have to go to get it. Fred died years ago and a guy named " Billy C " put his name in front of Fred's - a real disservice.

Every time I am in Jacksonville I go back for the rib plate. After that I purchase as many bottles of sauce as possible to take home with me. The place wouldn't be the same without Johnnie and Janice. They still remember when I came in as a kid.

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Jacksonville, Fl
“Best Ribs I've had.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2010

Tried to find this place a few times, and couldn't. Worth the persistence. The spare ribs were the best ever, no need for sauce, smokey and tender. The place is a dive, when you walk in it is no nonsense. The service is adequate. I rated it a 1 for atmosphere, but in the world of "Que" that's not a bad thing. You know it's all about the smoke and meat.

• 1 of 5 bubbles