“Talk about a tizzy!”

Johnny's Delicatessen & Grille
Ranked #893 of 2,111 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Walking into this highly visible restaurant for the first time, we noted that there were no clear directions as to where to order. (Hint: hang a couple big signs from the ceiling with "ORDER HERE" and "PAY HERE.") We went straight to an employee standing at the cash register (as one might normally do) and waited a few minutes - until we were told to move to the right where someone would take our order. We did. The order was taken then we moved left again to pay. I ordered the daily special which was a chicken pita that included a drink and a side, while my husband ordered a Johnny Special, which came with a side, but the drink was extra. Drinks were self-serve. The Johnny was the same price as my daily special, but he check came to over $25. I was flabbergasted - 2 sandwiches & 1 drink that shouldn't cost more than $18? I gave the guy $40 and got change, then asked for the cash receipt so he could prove the amount, but he could not produce a cash register receipt but said he would write one. I told him to be sure to stamp the back with his stamp. Price check please! Before I could leave the register, he said he had overcharged me. Really? I already put the change in my wallet, so neither of us really knew how much the original transaction was. He eventually returned almost $8 to me after using the calculator.

I was amazed at the lack of management skills whether he was the owner, manager or temporary help. Regardless , I'd expect checkout to be someone with better sense around the restaurant's money.

We saw 2 plates laid in front of us at the register, assumed they were both ours, picked them up, and sat down at a table by the window. We didn't know what our plates should've looked like since it was our first visit. Within seconds, a man rushed to our table and announced we had the wrong orders after both of us had already touched our food.

My husband's was OK. The man retrieved my sandwich from my plate, threw it in the garbage beside us, put MY real order in front of me, put plastic gloves on, and then to our horror, grabbed the scoop of potato salad with his hand off the wrong plate and plopped it onto MY new plate. We could not believe what we were seeing! We should have walked out at this point.

A salad is usually a safe order. I should've ordered one. The other order to the table was just OK but nothing special. The potato salad was very good, however.

Talk about everyone in this place being in a tizzy.

1  Thank Sheila6851